6202? Pattern Opinions Please

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

6202? Pattern Opinions Please

Post by herbva »

So, I did end up snagging this knife that I posted about a week ago (W.R. Case 62027 1/2 Tang Stamp Look OK?), and appreciate the opinions provided about authenticity. I just patched the missing chip between the mark side rocker pin and the edge and gave it a light cleaning. The "& Sons" magically appeared below the "W.R.Case" and the pattern stamp on the pen blade is a tiny bit clearer. But, I still can't read what I think is the last digit. I see a very similar knife on page 47 of Jim Sargent's book (2nd ed.) listed as a 62027 1/2. I don't think there is room for the "1/2" on my knife, and I'm not sure if the last digit on my knife looks like it could be a "7". Also, as you can see in the pictures, my knife is a tad longer than 2 3/4" indicated in Sargent's for the 62027 1/2, more like 2 7/8". That slight length difference may not matter. Any opinions or info on the pattern of my new knife would be greatly appreciated! :D
Attachments
DSCN9782.JPG
DSCN9784.JPG
DSCN9788.JPG
DSCN9790.JPG
DSCN9794.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 6202? Pattern Opinions Please

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The “1/2” in a Case pattern number denotes a clip master blade in a pattern which also comes in a version having a spear master. For example a 62027 would have a spear master, whereas the same frame with a clip master would be a 62027-1/2. That likely solves your question.

Something I don’t know however is when that “1/2” was first used to denote a clip master blade. It may be that during the “& Sons” era the 027 spear master was the only version. ::shrug:: Also regarding the measurements, I’ve found some errors in Sargents regarding length, plus it’s difficult to measure knives anyway (for me at least) so a discrepancy of an eighth of an inch doesn’t bother me, especially when you have a certainty of the “6202-something” stamped on the knife. Everything I see points to it being a 62027. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:21 pm The “1/2” in a Case pattern number denotes a clip master blade in a pattern which also comes in a version having a spear master. For example a 62027 would have a spear master, whereas the same frame with a clip master would be a 62027-1/2. That likely solves your question.

Something I don’t know however is when that “1/2” was first used to denote a clip master blade. It may be that during the “& Sons” era the 027 spear master was the only version. ::shrug:: Also regarding the measurements, I’ve found some errors in Sargents regarding length, plus it’s difficult to measure knives anyway (for me at least) so a discrepancy of an eighth of an inch doesn’t bother me, especially when you have a certainty of the “6202-something” stamped on the knife. Everything I see points to it being a 62027. JMO

Ken
Thanks Ken. Greatly appreciated!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Forgot to add, nice snag! ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

That is some nice stag. Love that old shield.
-Tim
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

herbva wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:59 pm I see a very similar knife on page 47 of Jim Sargent's book (2nd ed.) listed as a 62027 1/2. I don't think there is room for the "1/2" on my knife, and I'm not sure if the last digit on my knife looks like it could be a "7". Also, as you can see in the pictures, my knife is a tad longer than 2 3/4" indicated in Sargent's for the 62027 1/2, more like 2 7/8". That slight length difference may not matter. Any opinions or info on the pattern of my new knife would be greatly appreciated! :D
Nice grab! For reference, this is a Tested XX 62027 1/2 with a regular pull. So several years younger than yours and with a different blade shape.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 62027 half #3.jpg
Case Tested XX 62027 half #4.jpg
Case Tested XX 62027 half #5.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FarSide wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 pm That is some nice stag. Love that old shield.
It is indeed nice Tim, but it’s jigged bone - in fact it looks like Rogers bone to me.

Here’s another, a Tested 92027-1/2. Cracked ice covers.

Ken
Attachments
186EBF75-5494-4972-ACAE-E2F9328EEFDF.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:16 am
FarSide wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 pm That is some ::tu:: nice stag. Love that old shield.
It is indeed nice Tim, but it’s jigged bone - in fact it looks like Rogers bone to me.

Here’s another, a Tested 92027-1/2. Cracked ice covers.

Ken
Hah, yes indeed ::dang:: Still nice though ::tu::
-Tim
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Herb it looks like Rogers bone to me also. Nice knife.

Harold
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Come on now!! Yinz are killing me with these FINE 27s !!!👍💎👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”