New Stockman

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
us2

New Stockman

Post by us2 »

My wife bought me a new stockman for Christmas. It was shiny new and she thought I would put it in my collection. I almost did but I couldn’t resist dropping it in my pocket. After a couple weeks I noticed some pretty bad blade rub. I thought this was not right and called Case for a warranty claim. They told me blade rub is common on stockman knives but send it back for evaluation. I guess they couldn’t fix that one so they sent me a new knife which I very much appreciate. After a few days carrying I notice these blades have a slight kiss. Not like the bad rub that I had before but still a slight rub. It doesn’t show up very well in the picture. Stockman is my favorite pattern and what I normally carry. I have many other stockman knives from various makers.... most of them 40-50 years old.... none of them rub... including the old Case knives or the Old Timers which were half the price back in the day. Maybe this slight blade rub will disappear in the patina over time ? Is that what happened with my other 1095 stockman over the years?

At any rate is that just where we are today with knife makers struggling to stay alive ? I have wanted a GEC knife as people say they are great and I like the pictures. I’m not will to pay twice retail to a flipper. I have many brands in my accumulation but mostly carry Case Buck Old Timer. I have even started carrying a RR occasionally as it is a good knife around the farm and If I lose it (which happens more often these days) I haven’t dropped a $100 bill. Also it does not sharpen like my 1095 knives. I don’t like being in an old codger rant .... but I gotta tell somebody !! My wife thinks I have a knife problem... when I start this with her she says I should look for a 12 step program. I looked on Google there is no KA program that I can find.

I still want to carry the knife but maybe I should just put it in the collection and save it for the Grandkids.
Attachments
52008F24-D0FE-4CA2-A829-460D8033EBAE.jpeg
Modern Slip Joints

Re: New Stockman

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Givers love to see their gift used. Using it will show you appreciate the gift.

While I love stockmans the big majority of them have blade rub. The rub marks are only cosmetic and are only noticed by collectors.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree blade rub is just a cosmetic issue. I also agree you will not find it on a pre-1980s Case, at least not in my experience. If you’re intent on a new production knife you can still get a Case stockman that has no blade rub. Go to a Case retail dealer and hand pick one. That’s what I do. Or go online and buy an older Case, a used one that’s been lightly carried. They’re plentiful and many cost about the same or less than a new production one. There are some in the AAPK stores.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I have bought 10 or so 6318s over the last year. Some I gave as gifts, some because I also need a 12 step program. No blade rub on any of them that I know of. The one Buck 301 that I bought had severe blade rub. I find it irritating and would also not be happy if I paid new case price. But I agree it is cosmetic, the 301 goes to work every day and functions fine.
Bill
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Carry it and use it.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 am Carry it and use it.
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”