What pattern do you want to see Case bring out of the vault next?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Azretired

Re: What pattern do you want to see Case bring out of the vault next?

Post by Azretired »

Isn’t there round bolstered large stockman in the vault or is it discontinued? A ‘92 pattern maybe! I would also like to see the large trapper main blade put on the 75 pattern Large Stockman.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::
For 2021 it's out. Copperhead.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm Shouldn't this be out by now? ::shrug::
They announce it every year during January at the SHOT Show.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=69653

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Oh yeah. ::dang:: ::facepalm::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Really liked the two Copperheads I got this year (yellow delrin & amber jigged bone), but as it was a larger jack pattern I doubt my wish for a full sized Texas Jack for 2022 :(

So wish these would come back! I love the medium Texas Jack, but the full size would be welcome for sure in some new cover options!
Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 20.02.57.png
- Mike
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well fellers, somebody needs to be an old grump so I'll go ahead and say it, "I couldn't care less what knife pattern comes out of the vault."
Reason: I'm still enjoying the HOKs from years past. I've always viewed the vault as a marketing ploy.
To each his own, I'm sure we all have new Case knives that we call "safe queens" that will never see the light of day. A good investment? ::shrug:: When I come across a new to me knife, I enjoy cleaning, sharpening and fondling it for a while then it goes in the pile with the rest of 'em, you can't do that with a new one if you intend to keep it NIB. If a new one is put to work, then that's a special event! ::nod::
Still a good thread and interesting to see what different folks want to see. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:56 am Well fellers, somebody needs to be an old grump so I'll go ahead and say it, "I couldn't care less what knife pattern comes out of the vault."
Reason: I'm still enjoying the HOKs from years past. I've always viewed the vault as a marketing ploy.
To each his own, I'm sure we all have new Case knives that we call "safe queens" that will never see the light of day. A good investment? ::shrug:: When I come across a new to me knife, I enjoy cleaning, sharpening and fondling it for a while then it goes in the pile with the rest of 'em, you can't do that with a new one if you intend to keep it NIB. If a new one is put to work, then that's a special event! ::nod::
Still a good thread and interesting to see what different folks want to see. ::tu::
Treefarmer
There you go thinking like me again! Here’s my vault knife from this year. It’s all sharpened and working on a patina slicing maters, cutting open feed sacks and hay bales and such, and stripping wire. I’m the worlds best at destroying colector value. I can’t stand not to use them.
66E8E251-C7B7-405F-8E75-E71CDE0C9790.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Since I've purchased 2 and am tempted by a third I can not argue that the 6249 jack knife was not a good choice. However, I like large knives and large traditional knives have been absent from Case's catalog for a while. They're still offering lockbacks that were inspired by the Buck 110's shape but Case's older shapes have been gone too long. I already wrote that I'd like to see the #43 Daddy Barlow return. I'd also like to see the #050 large Coke Bottles brought back, both the slip joint with the Copperhead hump and the swing guard lockback.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, I miss the larger old patterns Case used to make. For me a knife under about 3-1/2 to 4+ inches just isn’t practical for use. Unfortunately what seems to sell best nowadays are smaller patterns, so that’s what drives Case marketing/manufacturing decisions. Tiny this and mini that. ::barf::

(I’m always amazed by comments about concerns a knife will “print” when carried. Unless there’s a law against it where you live, who cares? 99% of the people who see you will never notice anyway. And those few who do notice, if it bothers them they need to get over it!) ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:31 am I agree, I miss the larger old patterns Case used to make. For me a knife under about 3-1/2 to 4+ inches just isn’t practical for use. Unfortunately what seems to sell best nowadays are smaller patterns, so that’s what drives Case marketing/manufacturing decisions. Tiny this and mini that. ::barf::

(I’m always amazed by comments about concerns a knife will “print” when carried. Unless there’s a law against it where you live, who cares? 99% of the people who see you will never notice anyway. And those few who do notice, if it bothers them they need to get over it!) ::nod::

Ken
Ken, where you live folks are more apt to notice if you're not carrying a knife .
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Crazy Canuck wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:03 am Really liked the two Copperheads I got this year (yellow delrin & amber jigged bone), but as it was a larger jack pattern I doubt my wish for a full sized Texas Jack for 2022 :(

So wish these would come back! I love the medium Texas Jack, but the full size would be welcome for sure in some new cover options!

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 20.02.57.png

Great looking knife, Mike! And ::welcome:: to AAPK if I haven't told you already.

John

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:31 am I agree, I miss the larger old patterns Case used to make. For me a knife under about 3-1/2 to 4+ inches just isn’t practical for use. Unfortunately what seems to sell best nowadays are smaller patterns, so that’s what drives Case marketing/manufacturing decisions. Tiny this and mini that. ::barf::

Ken
I couldn’t agree more as to the larger knives!

I’m with you in the printing too. I have a buddy who’s a knife nut like me down in the Texas panhandle. I’ve gotten several knives off him because they print in his slacks or because they lay vertical in his pocket or some other such thing. For the life of me I don’t I don’t understand it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 am

Ken
I couldn’t agree more as to the larger knives!

I’m with you in the printing too. I have a buddy who’s a knife nut like me down in the Texas panhandle. I’ve gotten several knives off him because they print in his slacks or because they lay vertical in his pocket or some other such thing. For the life of me I don’t I don’t understand it.
::shrug:: I don’t understand it either. I can’t think of any where else in the world that folks would be less concerned about a knife (or a gun) ““printing” than the Texas Panhandle. That’s about as rural as you can get. And like Floyd said, where I am people think you’re strange if you’re NOT carrying a pocket knife. ::tu::

Just the fact it’s a topic to be talking about concerns me. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:17 am Just the fact it’s a topic to be talking about concerns me.
Sadly, topics of a legal nature will have a good deal of relevancy. I recently watched one of Knife Center's Q and A videos in which someone asked about knives suitable for carry in New York City. Apparently if a knife leaves an imprint, it's illegal for carry therein! Suffice it to say that is not the sort of place in which I want to spend time. There are other things I'd rather worry about.

And I'd like to see the 090 pattern (cigar stockman) make a return. However, I'd venture a guess that the tooling, dies, etc. for that pattern no longer exist.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

rea1eye wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm
cody6268 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:21 pm Please no "Pocket" , "Baby", or "Tiny" anything. These are useless as heck. Barlow and Copperhead need to be standard catalog offerings.

I'd love for the 35 pattern to return. I'm having a hard time finding a decent sub-$50 example.Used to be, I didn't.
I agree. I think the 35 pattern would be worthwhile. Make it with a special bolster (eg lightly scrolled) and with a unique
shield. Here is what the AAPK says about the 35:

This knife is a 3 1/4″ Jack knife that is usually called a regular jack, swell end
jack, or tear-drop jack. In the early days, this pattern was manufactured with either a spear, clip, or sheepfoot master blade. From about the 70’s forward however, all were made with a clip master blade. The second blade will almost always be a pen blade, but some have been manufactured with punch secondary blades. Those knives with the clip blade will usually have a 1/2 at the end of the pattern number (when there is a pattern number). Case started manufacturing this pattern sometime before 1915.

For those of you new to knives here is what it looks like ( this one if from 1981 I believe) Some people call it Torpedo Jack
Good solid knife that stays in your pocket. Strong blades (fairly thick to do most pocket knives jobs)case5235.jpg

Bob
I'll third that - the #35 is a perfect frame size for me & it's substantial. They would sell a boatload ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”