Is Old Tooling Used To Make Case Knives Collectible?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
MrFindit

Is Old Tooling Used To Make Case Knives Collectible?

Post by MrFindit »

I am looking for information on collectors who might collect the tooling used over the years to make case knives, or some in depth look at old tooling that was used over the years.

I have what I believe is an old tooling stamp used to stamp "CASE (over) Bradford, PA." It looks to be a mirror image match for the tang stamp used on Case hunting knives, pre-1932.

But I can't find any resources that show what the old tooling looks like, or any examples of any that have ever been sold over the years. It doesn't seem to be the type of item that is widely available for sale.

Thanks for any info you can share.
MrFindit

Re: Is Old Tooling Used To Make Case Knives Collectible?

Post by MrFindit »

186534088_2240871216047747_3633238252985492788_n.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Some people collect old stamps, and will know whether they’re authentic or were made for use by someone making forgeries. Unfortunately counterfeiting old Case knives is big business. Not saying your stamp is not authentic. I wouldn’t know but others smarter than me will know. Unfortunately the existence of counterfeit knives means there are counterfeit stamps which often makes it more difficult to sell them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
MrFindit

Post by MrFindit »

I don't know a lot on the history of it, but I can account for its whereabouts for the past 30 years with some certainty. I know it was sitting on a shelf in an abandoned antique shop in Ohio, gathering dust for the past 30 years. The building had been closed and locked up for 30 years.

The person who would have obtained it and maybe know more about its history, passed away 30 years ago.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Would someone know from the Case Collectors Club?
I know you have to be a member of this organization.

Bob
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

One reason there is little of it around is that it wore out and was replaced and then destroyed.Employees may have taken old worn out tooling and stamps that were to be destroyed home with them as mementos. But as stated above, now days the counterfeiters have a demand for it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
MrFindit

Post by MrFindit »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:32 pm One reason there is little of it around is that it wore out and was replaced and then destroyed.Employees may have taken old worn out tooling and stamps that were to be destroyed home with them as mementos. But as stated above, now days the counterfeiters have a demand for it.
You may have to take the era into account on this piece too. Case changed their Hunting Knife tang stamp during the great depression. This could have been one they were using when they switched to the new stamp. Then some guy put it in his pocket and took it home instead of destroying it, because he could trade the scrap metal for half a loaf of bread.

It would be nice to know if it is authentic. The head of the stamp is worn to a polish, so this stamp certainly was used quite a bit, real or fake. Surely there has to be some case historian that knows what the tooling looked like over the years.

Or maybe I should just contact Case and see if they have an in house historian who would respond. Appears knowledge of these types of items may not be very common.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Contacting Case might be worth a try, but it’s a long shot. If you think about it, employees who would have been around during the Great Depression would be 100+ years old now. The employees who would likely know are no longer there, either retired or deceased. It’s unfortunate but the company doesn’t have records dating back that far either.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”