Case Flippers

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Flippers

Post by 1967redrider »

I just pre-ordered a Marilla, really liking the looks of these.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210604-200019.png
Screenshot_20210604-200028.png
Screenshot_20210604-200037.png
Screenshot_20210604-200044.png
Screenshot_20210604-200147.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Flippers

Post by dlr110 »

I got that same email. I'll wait for your review on them before I order one. ::hmm::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm really proud of Case. Pretty much every other cutlery company in America has a tactical knife line. Case has had Tec-X for years, but those do not count. The Chopperlock, and another model, mostly seen in the 1990s didn't sell well. High-end steel, decent designs, and a not stupid pricetag.

On another note, my local knife store can't get rid of the Chopperlock when they get one in a collection, and they have one for like $50. Has anyone tried the OCC Chopperlock?
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:51 am Has anyone tried the OCC Chopperlock?
Not I. I'll have to research it.

The new Case flippers at the very least have potential...as users. I've had to rethink my buying habits, and modern knives are far less likely to wind up in my display-only group. More details will need to be divulged, specifically blade length and frame height, before I'll plunk down for one. Handling one before committing to buy would be even better.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:27 am
cody6268 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:51 am Has anyone tried the OCC Chopperlock?
Not I. I'll have to research it.

The new Case flippers at the very least have potential...as users. I've had to rethink my buying habits, and modern knives are far less likely to wind up in my display-only group. More details will need to be divulged, specifically blade length and frame height, before I'll plunk down for one. Handling one before committing to buy would be even better.
Hope you have a dealer nearby where you can go and give one the ol’ chicken eye and coon finger it. ::tu:: That’s just about the only way I buy a new one nowadays. Meantime, here’s a link with the size dimensions. https://caseknives.com/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I'm sure those will be nice knives but personally I'm hung up on regular old style pocket knives. I even have one that is similar, a Case Southern Grind, SGC0120011, black anodized handle but it just doesn't hold a candle to any of my old Case 75's. Just my humble opinion.
You know folks do change, for many years it was blue steel and walnut handles on the revolvers but somehow there are now polymer framed pieces that have caused the blue steel to stay at home. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Philip, somehow I don’t think we’re the intended market! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I do prefer the traditional patterns but I am happy to see Case trying something new, and in S35V too. One of those blue models will most definitely be added to my EDC.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 am Philip, somehow I don’t think we’re the intended market! :lol:

Ken
:mrgreen: ::nod:: :mrgreen:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

At almost 5 inches long, these new models are too big to qualify as a "pocketknife" for most people. I find a standard trapper at just over 4 inches my limit for carrying in jeans pocket.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Well, as an American, I hope Case does well with these for business sake,
but at those prices I'ma hard pass ... I'll stick with Speedsafe products
Sorry . . . . ::paranoid::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 am You know folks do change, for many years it was blue steel and walnut handles on the revolvers but somehow there are now polymer framed pieces that have caused the blue steel to stay at home.
Much as I try to keep an open mind, a revolver with a polymer frame just seems...wrong. I do prefer rubber grips on a revolver, though.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 am Hope you have a dealer nearby where you can go and give one the ol’ chicken eye and coon finger it. ::tu:: That’s just about the only way I buy a new one nowadays. Meantime, here’s a link with the size dimensions.
I don't know if such a dealer is near me. I can hope so.

Either Case released the specs a good bit after I opened the e-mail link or (more likely) I managed to overlook them. But at that blade length, I'm not a buyer unless and until I no longer have to worry about compliance with a limit.

I do hope Case does well with these. Breaking into a new market, without alienating a traditional customer base, can be difficult. (Anyone involved with development, marketing, or sale of the Cadillac Cimarron would confirm that.)
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

To someone who prefers multi-blade slip joints they are mainly interesting because Case is using another harder stainless steel that could wind up in slip joints some day. I'd consider buying one but only after a couple of you guys write that they can not be flipped open with a flip of the wrist. That ability would make them illegal spring knives in Washington State. Don't fret over lack of logic in laws.

It is good that Case is expanding their knife offerings to appeal to additional market segments.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

It looks like $115 is very reasonable for these.
I just paid $280 for a ZT.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:40 pm It looks like $115 is very reasonable for these.
I just paid $280 for a ZT.

ZTs are nice too and I agree. ::tu:: ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:55 pm
treefarmer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 am You know folks do change, for many years it was blue steel and walnut handles on the revolvers but somehow there are now polymer framed pieces that have caused the blue steel to stay at home.
Much as I try to keep an open mind, a revolver with a polymer frame just seems...wrong. I do prefer rubber grips on a revolver, though.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 am Hope you have a dealer nearby where you can go and give one the ol’ chicken eye and coon finger it. ::tu:: That’s just about the only way I buy a new one nowadays. Meantime, here’s a link with the size dimensions.

Either Case released the specs a good bit after I opened the e-mail link or (more likely) I managed to overlook them. But at that blade length, I'm not a buyer unless and until I no longer have to worry about compliance with a limit.

I do hope Case does well with these. Breaking into a new market, without alienating a traditional customer base, can be difficult. (Anyone involved with development, marketing, or sale of the Cadillac Cimarron would confirm that.)
Dan, I should have been a bit more specific, the polymer frames are on 9mm pistols not revolvers. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I may try one when they come out. The price isn’t out of line with the market, they look well thought out, and they have a decent steel! Oh, and the size is right too for a pocket clip knife.

They won’t take the place of my 75’s for sure, but they may give my Spyderco a run for its money.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:13 pm
Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Dan, I should have been a bit more specific, the polymer frames are on 9mm pistols not revolvers. :)
Treefarmer
We’ll give you a special dispensation on the polymer guns since it’s just a 9mm. :mrgreen: ::poke:: ::poke:: ::poke::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:58 pm To someone who prefers multi-blade slip joints they are mainly interesting because Case is using another harder stainless steel that could wind up in slip joints some day.
I'd be interested to see that steel used in slip-joints.
treefarmer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:13 pm The polymer frames are on 9mm pistols not revolvers.
Such as a Glock, which I came to accept pretty quickly. It was one of the first firearms I had the pleasure of using, at about 12.
USN 2000-2006
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Been reading all the comments and I was curious as to how everyone would feel about CASE introducing this style of knife and the price their asking for them. Here’s my 2 cents worth on the subject.

If they help CASE’s bottom line, and I believe they will, then I’m happy for them and all the workers at CASE. However, this is just not my style of knife for EDC. It has nothing to do with brand, function, reliability, or cost, I’m just not big on these so called modern “tactical” knives over the old traditional patterns. I don’t use pocketknives; I collect pocketknives as a retirement hobby and because of that at some point I will probably buy just one for the collection.

I have some expensive knives, but I carry a single blade $35 SAK or a $25 no name Barlow almost every day. My biggest blade tasks are opening something like a box or cleaning my fingernails. So, I say if these are the type anyone wants to use and/or collect and you can afford the prices then go for it and enjoy your knife.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:04 pm Been reading all the comments and I was curious as to how everyone would feel about CASE introducing this style of knife and the price their asking for them. Here’s my 2 cents worth on the subject.

If they help CASE’s bottom line, and I believe they will, then I’m happy for them and all the workers at CASE. However, this is just not my style of knife for EDC. It has nothing to do with brand, function, reliability, or cost, I’m just not big on these so called modern “tactical” knives over the old traditional patterns. I don’t use pocketknives; I collect pocketknives as a retirement hobby and because of that at some point I will probably buy just one for the collection.

I have some expensive knives, but I carry a single blade $35 SAK or a $25 no name Barlow almost every day. My biggest blade tasks are opening something like a box or cleaning my fingernails. So, I say if these are the type anyone wants to use and/or collect and you can afford the prices then go for it and enjoy your knife.
I too hope it adds well to Case’s bottom line. Modern “tactical” or whatever we’re supposed to call them, knives definitely do not have the soul or mystique an old traditional has.

I always have a traditional, usually stockman on me and most of the time a SAK too. But I do carry a modern knife clipped in my pocket for a couple of reasons.

The main one I’ll talk about here is out on the farm, especially in cold weather with gloves on. It’s nice to be able to grab my knife, flick it open, and cut what needs cutting with one hand.

I see my modern, “tactical” knives as a handy tool. The old pocket knives, a well loved friend.

I do hope this foray into s35v helps CASE get over their irrational aversion to decent stainless!
Robert E. Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I’m surprised to see that these are made in Bradford. By that I am impressed.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

received the email and had to check them out, looks like a nice build but my older hands don't like aluminum handles, poor grip, can't wait to hear some reviews. I didn't see where they were being made, my first thought was offshore but after reading some posts it looks like Bradford ::tu:: and I'm surprised as most of you are, but good for Case for doing this ::tu::
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

What I personally would have liked to see is a knife not any bigger than 4 1/4" closed with a G-10 handle. And a lot less stylized look.

Case made a production Lanny's Clip of Tony Bose's design. But, CRKT has recently released a Liong Mah take on the pattern. I think Case could've taken the Lanny's Clip design and turned it into something in the same vein with better results (plus USA made and CPM S45VN. This is right in with what I was thinking of-- just under 4 1/4" with just under a 3 1/4" blade.

https://www.crkt.com/lanny.html

Also, Case made several tactical models (as imports) under the Tec-X name. Why not revisit some of those designs?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Tec-X knives are made in China. Case got a LOT of flak from their traditional customer base when they introduced the Tec-X line several years ago. They are not made in a Case-owned facility. Years later I still see and hear un-complimentary (to put it mildly) comments about Case having abandoned their long-time Made in U.S.A. policy, and idle, unfounded speculation that either all Case knives are made in China (false - I've been to the factory in Bradford) or that it's just a matter of time until Case moves all production to China.

As plainly and prominently stated on the Case web site www.caseknives.com the new line of flippers are made in Bradford, PA. So producing this new line of "tactical" flippers in Bradford, with basically the same features as their joint-venture flippers made in Georgia by Southern Grind, at a significantly lower price point, seems a smart move to me. (Price was the chief complaint I've seen regarding the Southern Grind collaborations).

As for why they're not just re-cycling the Tec-X line but made in Bradford, a semi-educated guess is that Case doesn't own the outsourced Tec-X tooling. They've obviously tooled up (not inexpensive to do) the Bradford plant to make these. That may in fact have been their intent from the beginning of the Tec-X line. Test the concept and market using out-sourced tooling and if successful tool up and bring the manufacturing in-house. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”