Please help ID this Case TestedXX pocket knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
David Phillip S

Please help ID this Case TestedXX pocket knife

Post by David Phillip S »

This is my pocket knife: 3 1/2 in. length (closed); stainless steel handle, no scales, no bolsters, mirror-like finish except for dings and scratches; four blades - knife, screwdriver/bottle opener, square-tipped chisel-sharpened scraper, and short, chisel-sharpened blade with metal knob for opening. All four blades are non-stainless steel. Handle has notches on both sides: one for the scraper (thumbnail opening) and a smaller one to accommodate the knob on the short blade. Trademark stamp is a 'circle Case' with flat underline, 'TestedXX'.
Questions: Who has one like it? Model name? Date of manufacture? Prototype? Free-time project of some independent maker (i.e., Frankenstein's monster or custom hot rod)?
Cheers! Dave
Attachments
DSC08724.JPG
P1010356.JPG
P1010357.JPG
Dan In MI

Re: Please help ID this Case TestedXX pocket knife

Post by Dan In MI »

Does it have a pattern number stamped anywhere? And would you be able to show a picture of it from the top, with all the blades and tools closed? My gut is telling me that this knife has been modified, but I'm far from an expert on vintage Case knives.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

It is an M445R "Scout Utility" knife. The handle material is most likely Monel.

In the Tested era, Case made three patterns with solid metal handles - that one, the 47 stockman, and the 028 dogleg jack.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Don’t argue with the man, he knows his stuff.
David Phillip S

Post by David Phillip S »

Many thanks to those who responded, especially knifeaholic for the references to Pfeiffer's book (excellent resource!) and to Monel (a bit of metallurgical history). I'm not a collector, just happen to have owned this knife for over 50 years, but I can see the appeal of giving attention to all the details associated with pocket knives, design, function, materials, manufacturing, marketing, etc. Just the sort of thing to occupy a restless and not entirely retired mind!

Cheers!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”