Limited Case

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
sakoblade

Limited Case

Post by sakoblade »

Hey Guys and Gals!

Last year I bought a large collection of NOS American folding knives here in Sweden.

Among them are quite a few Case knives and some of them seem to be limited editions with numbers stamped on the blades.

Can someone tell me a little about these, as I can’t seem to find any info online about these? I want to know more about the actual model and how many were made and so forth?

First out are two small Coke bottles with yellow synthetic handles and “engraved” bolsters, made in 1989 and with tang stamp 3225 1/2 SS with #216 and #281 on the blades. As all the other knives I bought these are new, never worn, sharpened or used. But these two lacks boxes and papers.

Then two medium Stockman also with yellow synthetic handles. Made 1989. Tang stamp 3347 SS and #204 and #284.
No boxes or papers I’m afraid.

Seems like the collector kept some boxes but not all? I bought them off an estate at an auction house and they didn’t have any info about the knives.

Pics of the Stockman folders will come soon, sorry but I deleted them by accident.

I wish y’all a great weekend!!

Jim
5F610504-D2EE-43B6-BB38-1DD3CB0AD6AB.jpeg
43975285-D562-41A1-B371-F2C9DF41BA4E.jpeg
275E1C92-67B4-45B7-9C80-B9641A889B5B.jpeg
4FF6B3D3-3C42-4489-B05D-AF596D8F41BA.jpeg
B6EBDECD-BF4F-4D61-A13B-0D45192E455D.jpeg
44779D75-09F5-4FD3-9AB0-1FE3357CB219.jpeg
3A039CD8-E501-41AA-93A6-6398BDC988D6.jpeg
7088BDE1-D81F-4DCB-9EFE-6C27D24350ED.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Limited Case

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice looking Numbered and Scrolled Special Factory Order (SFO) Case folders. ::tu:: ::tu:: I say SFO because I think Case made these for a distributor like Shepherd Hills, Smokey Mountain Knife Works, Red Hill Cutlery, etc. They could be one of 250, 500 or 1,000 run sets. Others might have more info for you, thanks for posting and I hope this helps. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:26 pm I think Case made these for a distributor like Shepherd Hills, Smokey Mountain Knife Works, Red Hill Cutlery, etc.
I would agree. However, some Googling turned up at least one result stating the 3225 1/2 may have been part of a centennial set. Should you have the boxes, some information on the label could greatly help in identifying them.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

From knifedb.com:

Smooth yellow composition handles and a double oval "CASE" block letter shield. Part of the Pure Gold mint set of 7 knives made this year. These knives came in a folding knife pack that says "Pure Gold _ Mint Set" in gold lettering. Scrolled bolsters and a serial number on the master blade. 500 sets completed. All the knives have stainless blades which is unusual for the yellow composition knives at this time.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
DMB

Post by DMB »

I have a set like this with scrolled bolsters also... any idea what value is on these as well?
IMG_4849.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

DMB wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 pm I have a set like this with scrolled bolsters also... any idea what value is on these as well?

IMG_4849.jpeg
Aside from the scrolled bolsters the set you have is totally different than the OP knives. Buzz Parker aka silverladdie recently sold individual knives from a broken Red Stag Mint Set on eBay for prices ranging from $70 to $300 each depending on the pattern. You can find details in eBay sold listings. Based on that my guesstimate is the intact framed set set could be worth about $1000 to $1200 assuming you could find a buyer.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

DMB

Post by DMB »

Thanks for the heads up on the eBay sold listings. I didn’t know you could do that. I am trying to find the best place to sell an entire collection in whole or in part at the best value. The collection has around 400 knives from various makers but are mostly case knives. It’s been a challenge.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

eBay is of course one option. It’s the largest online auction in the world, but fees are high relative to other options. Since it has an auction format you don’t have to research and decide an asking price for each knife - the bidders will determine the selling price for you. You do need good descriptions and plenty of good pictures.

You can sell here on AAPK by purchasing a premium membership (click on “Support AAPK” on the upper right of this page for details) which Is a one-time fee depending on how many items you want to sell, or by opening a store here (click “Sell on AAPK” above) which charges a flat % of sales fee, significantly lower than eBay’s fee. But you’ll need to decide how much to ask for the item - it’s not an auction format.

eBay has a huge audience, many of whom don’t buy knives. AAPK although a smaller audience is dedicated “knife people”. You could also join the Case Collector’s Club (www.caseknives.com, scroll down to the bottom to find the club link). There is a membership fee but you can sell on their forum - the audience of potential buyers there is smaller than AAPK but they’re all Case Collectors.

Or you could sell the entire collection to a knife dealer. There are several who are AAPK members. The dealer will offer less but you’ll get the money quicker, won’t have to research, photograph, list, sell, and ship the knives. The dealer will have to buy the collection at a cost that lets them make a profit.

Good luck.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

DMB

Post by DMB »

Thank you for taking the time to list out these options; this helps a ton. I may try to find a dealer and save myself the time of cataloging it all.

Is there any reason to keep the knife series together or does it matter to a dealer that one item or another are not in it? I only ask because people have offered to buy certain knives out of say a set where I have all of them new in boxes.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:49 pm eBay is of course one option. It’s the largest online auction in the world, but fees are high relative to other options. Since it has an auction format you don’t have to research and decide an asking price for each knife - the bidders will determine the selling price for you. You do need good descriptions and plenty of good pictures.

You can sell here on AAPK by purchasing a premium membership (click on “Support AAPK” on the upper right of this page for details) which Is a one-time fee depending on how many items you want to sell, or by opening a store here (click “Sell on AAPK” above) which charges a flat % of sales fee, significantly lower than eBay’s fee. But you’ll need to decide how much to ask for the item - it’s not an auction format.

eBay has a huge audience, many of whom don’t buy knives. AAPK although a smaller audience is dedicated “knife people”. You could also join the Case Collector’s Club (www.caseknives.com, scroll down to the bottom to find the club link). There is a membership fee but you can sell on their forum - the audience of potential buyers there is smaller than AAPK but they’re all Case Collectors.

Or you could sell the entire collection to a knife dealer. There are several who are AAPK members. The dealer will offer less but you’ll get the money quicker, won’t have to research, photograph, list, sell, and ship the knives. The dealer will have to buy the collection at a cost that lets them make a profit.

Good luck.
Ken
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I am not a dealer so don't know if it makes a difference or not. I'll let one of the dealers here answer the question. May have to wait until some see this. Rather than wait you might look through the stores here on AAPK to find some dealers who handle the type of knives you have, and contact them to determine their interest in your knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”