Brown jigged delrin canoe?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Hesmikeb

Brown jigged delrin canoe?

Post by Hesmikeb »

Sorry this may be a very quick and boring post...but...

I'm wondering if Case ever made a 62131 canoe with brown jigged delrin scales. I've never seen one (doesn't mean much) and thought they pretty much did a delrin version of all their patterns in the 70s and 80s. Just curious because I'm a big fan of the delrin.

Thanks for any info and hope everyone is having a good summer.

MB
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Brown jigged delrin canoe?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Yes they did. Catalog number 70 (issued in 1968) shows 62131 with brown jigged Delrin. Sorry I don’t have one or I’d post a picture. This will make your day - according to knifedb.com they were made both with and without the Indian-in-a-canoe etch. So you’ll need to find one of each. Happy hunting! ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:05 am Yes they did. Catalog number 70 (issued in 1968) shows 62131 with brown jigged Delrin. Sorry I don’t have one or I’d post a picture. This will make your day - according to knifedb.com they were made both with and without the Indian-in-a-canoe etch. So you’ll need to find one of each. Happy hunting! ::sotb::

Ken

And the band played "Who'd ah thunk it? " ::dang:: I had no idea the canoe was ever made with delrin handles.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

philco wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:47 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:05 am Yes they did. Catalog number 70 (issued in 1968) shows 62131 with brown jigged Delrin. Sorry I don’t have one or I’d post a picture. This will make your day - according to knifedb.com they were made both with and without the Indian-in-a-canoe etch. So you’ll need to find one of each. Happy hunting! ::sotb::

Ken

And the band played "Who'd ah thunk it? " ::dang:: I had no idea the canoe was ever made with delrin handles.

Me neither. Are they on the rare side? ::shrug:: I think a certain Delrin Case Muskrat has a higher collector value because it's rare.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

Thanks Ken...hard to do but I was going to try and keep my hunting down a notch or two these days but I keep stumbling across pretty good deals on some variations I don't have so you never know....glad to know one might be out there for me.

Thanks for the info
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The canoe is one of two Case patterns that I believe were never made with Delrin handles. The other being the 6445R.

At least, I personally have never seen either of these patterns with Delrin handles. And I have been at this since 1973, the year Case started using a lot of Delrin on patterns that were normally made in bone, due to shortages of bone.

Ken, not sure what you mean by "shown in the catalog"...Delrin was not even mentioned in that catalog, as it had only at that point been used on some 048 patterns, no others.

And even in the next three catalogs that were issued - in 1974, 1977, and 1980 - they did not call out any specific patterns as being made in Delrin, only that any knife with a "6" could be bone, Delrin, or Pakkawood.

That said, if anyone has a photo of a Case 62131 canoe with Delrin handles, i would love to see it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve, the source for that information is knifedb.com which was referenced in my post. Like I said I don’t have one myself. ::shrug::
1973 62131Knife ID: 521
Shown in catalog number 70 used from March 1968 to May 1974. Transition year for the canoe etch. The 1973's found both with and without the canoe etch.
Handle: Brown Delrin (Jigged)
That’s the only Delrin version of the 62131 shown on knifedb, the rest are all jigged bone. It’s possible the site is in error. I’ve found it to be a reliable resource especially for 1970 - 2010 Case pocket knives. I’ll send David a note and ask him about the listing and let y’all know what he says.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I emailed the site owner at knifedb.com regarding this discussion. He replied this morning, saying his notes on the knife referenced on the site are from 2013. His source said the reference knife “handles look like Delrin” but “the pictures provided were dark”.
He went on to say he respects Steve Pfeiffer’s opinion. “I suspect he is correct and I will remove the knife. I want to thank you for questioning this listing for me. With this kind of feedback I can continue to improve my site. Thanks again, David”

So there you have it. Based on this evidence the Case 62131 Canoe was never made with Delrin covers. Thanks Steve for clearing up the waters! ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:51 pm I emailed the site owner at knifedb.com regarding this discussion. He replied this morning, saying his notes on the knife referenced on the site are from 2013. His source said the reference knife “handles look like Delrin” but “the pictures provided were dark”.
He went on to say he respects Steve Pfeiffer’s opinion. “I suspect he is correct and I will remove the knife. I want to thank you for questioning this listing for me. With this kind of feedback I can continue to improve my site. Thanks again, David”

So there you have it. Based on this evidence the Case 62131 Canoe was never made with Delrin covers. Thanks Steve for clearing up the waters! ::handshake::

Ken
Thanks for investigating - I may be wrong, and they may exist.

Would love to have a pic of one if it does exist, then I will know.
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

Thanks everybody for a great discussion...i will believe in its existence and keep looking around...will be fun...call it the Bigfoot canoe...turns out this was not a boring post.

MB

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”