Need help to ID a case knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wandering bear

Need help to ID a case knife

Post by wandering bear »

Hello I have acquired a knife I cant find out about, I cant find even a picture of it.
The only thing I know is its pre 64 by stamp. Any info will help THANKS Dennis
Attachments
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG
cody6268

Re: Need help to ID a case knife

Post by cody6268 »

V-42 Stilletto, ca. WWII. The handle has rotted off, most likely. These issued to special commando units during the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-42_stiletto
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That is most certainly NOT a Case V 42. Looks like it may be a copy of one, but it is definitely not a Case made V 42. V 42s never had a red spacer at the guard and had a very distinctive "thumbprint" on the ricasso and the lettering was different. The entire ricasso on a real V 42 is much longer than on the OP knife and the originals were hollow ground all the way from the ricasso to the tip unlike the OP knife. I do not believe the OP knife came from the Case factory.
wandering bear

Post by wandering bear »

Thanks for the info I own an old v42 I acquired at a gun show in he 80s I think this has to be a prototype or a knockoff.
I need more info. THANKS GUYS
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Not a "prototype" either. not made by Case. Let's see your original one, they are fine knives but have been widely reproduced. Even Case made a repro. Do you have the original sheath with yours? Would love to see it (knife and sheath)!
wandering bear

Post by wandering bear »

How do you know it was not made by case? As for the V 42, I don't have any pictures of the one I had. I sold it to a dagger collector for $1000 back in the 80s. I purchased it and a 9 shot H&R revolver from an old man for $200. I was happy with my profit.
I was the largest knife dealer in the state of Iowa, I had 8, 8ft tables, of mostly custom made knives and switchblades, at the biggest gun shows in the 4 state area.
I had the original sheath as well. The curious thing about the knife was that almost 1/2 of the thumb print was obscured, like a double stamped coin. We figured it lessoned the value, but the collector said it made it rarer. I sold several knives to this man over the years.

I dealt in rare woods, ivory's and meteorite, as well as a lot of rod iron for the making of Damascus.
JP Miller and Howard Clark and I did a lot of business together. JP even made a knife for me made completely out of Meteorite and we put mastodon ivory on it for handles' I have the last miniature JP made, Its a Damascus Dagger with fossilized Walrus tusk on it. JP's still alive, he just wont do miniature's.
Anyway, I've been in this business for a minute and know a bit about knives. Again How do you know, it was not made by Case?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This is a recent reproduction, but I think all of the Case made V-42s have the same crafted ricasso. The devil is in the detail. 😉
Attachments
IMG_20210721_184654817.jpg
IMG_20210721_184703442.jpg
IMG_20210721_184634147.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wandering bear

Post by wandering bear »

I do have some pics of another knife from the same pawn shop I got the case dagger. old westerns L 77 I gave $5. for it all together I got 15 knives from this shop, all at $5 each. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Attachments
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”