Help with Case knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Jeff2019

Help with Case knife

Post by Jeff2019 »

Hello my first post here. I inherited this knife and was wondering if anyone can tell me age and possible worth of it I’ll attach a few pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
EA5F2ABD-8C7F-4343-BCE2-68CFD70F90DD.jpeg
D5770F65-CEC8-442A-ADE3-3FA4B7269ABE.jpeg
79E37E75-B7F0-4908-B2F4-A98AD9338E3B.jpeg
143B3F80-8149-4F6D-BE65-0CD20DA03215.jpeg
326A8FA4-F2ED-4794-AC89-9E999C470227.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with Case knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Most sources say the stamp on your knife was used from 1905 - 1914. Value of old knives is largely dependent on condition, which is difficult to judge from your pictures. Does the knife still have good opening and closing “snap”, are the blades tight (no wobble) in the frame? What is the closed length? These factors will affect the value significantly and even then it’s subjective. There are not many sales of comparable knives that age from which to derive comparable values.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like it's in decent shape for a 100+ year old knife. I do notice a pin crack in the pile side scale but the blade looks pretty full. Do an ebay Completed Listings search to see what comparable knives have sold for-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=w. ... Complete=1

One of the few benefits of eBay. ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jeff2019

Post by Jeff2019 »

The knife is 6 1/2” unfolded and the single blade is 2 3/4” and closed is 3 3/4”. It has an excellent snap and there are no wobbles. Also what is the handle made from? And what style of knive would this be considered?

Thank you for your quick replies.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I am certainly no Case "expert", but the handle scales appear to me to be smooth, undyed bone, and at 3 3/4" I guess the knife is a single blade , pattern 31 jack (6131). I expect the Case experts will chime in soon. Beautiful knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Knowing the closed length helps as does the description of the blade action. The pattern is a single blade jack knife. The advice to check eBay sold listings is your best source of current value. I agree the best source for current value is eBay sold listings - I didn't see any of the same pattern as yours, but it will be in the same value range as those sold on eBay.

I'd say an inherited knife is priceless anyway so congratulations on having received it. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very unusual to see a single blade Case jack in this size and type frame. Single blade jacks will normally be found in larger or smaller frames. Barlows, Dr. knives and hawkbills are an exception to a general rule. Also very unusual to see it handled in smooth bone. You do see smooth bone on some very early U.S. made knives but it is far from common. Again Barlows being an exception. Shield is also not typical for a Bradford knife. Unusual knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jeff2019

Post by Jeff2019 »

Thank you all for your input on this knife. Does anyone know anywhere I could take this knife to have someone with more knowledge than me to look at it? I am in the Chicagoland metropolitan area. Could also dive to the Indy area if there was someone down that way.

Thank you again for all the input

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”