Case Bros Pattern ID Help Please

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Bros Pattern ID Help Please

Post by herbva »

This one was in a group of knives that I recently purchased. I know the blades are in really bad shape, but I would still like to find out what pattern it is. I feel like I've seen this pattern before, but maybe it was a different brand, but the same shape. I've looked through all of my reference books, but no dice. It measures 3 5/8". Any help or opinions would be appreciated! :D
Attachments
DSCN9238.JPG
DSCN9229.JPG
DSCN9231.JPG
DSCN9236.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Bros Pattern ID Help Please

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool acquisition, Herb. Have you tried looking in Sargent's Older Case knives section? I'm going to look tonight. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like an 04 pattern. Can you tell if the handles are some type of composition, or wood? Looks like wood from the pictures. If so it would be pattern 1204 or 1204-1/2. Not sure if Case Brothers used the 1/2 designator for a clip master blade, or if that came later. ::shrug:: That looks like a clip blade but it might have been a spear in the beginning? Spear master blades seem to be more common on Case Brothers. ::shrug:: Very nice find!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks Ken. The scales are definitely wood, maybe walnut or cocobolo? I haven't yet found any pictures of pattern 04's, but my copies of Sargent's Guide (page 129 in the first edition and page 142 in the 3rd edition) show drawings of pattern 04 knives (picture below). They look somewhat similar to my knife, and are 3 5/8", but mine seems to be more curved than the ones in drawings and mine has that "copperhead" or "canoe" shaped front bolster. The drawings also have the "XX" engraved in the center of the blade like mine has. Now that know it might be an 04, I'll keep searching for real pictures.
Attachments
DSCN9240.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:33 pm Very cool acquisition, Herb. Have you tried looking in Sargent's Older Case knives section? I'm going to look tonight. ::tu::
Thanks John. I found some drawings in Sargent's, but no pictures. See below.

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Herb, I went digging and found some stuff that should help. These are from a Case Brothers catalog reprint.
2575A7DB-CCCF-49E8-9EBC-CB18615C13D2.jpeg
18D36D11-5437-45D9-B53A-3F9BDE02CEC5.jpeg
C524FF5F-2427-427D-9F55-A5B1C63FB8E6.jpeg
And this from Sargent’s 7th edition.
0FCAA723-4B60-4D22-BC47-653DD8D305F9.jpeg
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Bingo! That 1204LP is definitely the knife. Except mine must have walnut scales rather that black composition, but it think "1" is the correct handle key for walnut. Thanks so much for the "digging" Ken! :mrgreen:

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad I could help, Herb. If you notice on the catalog page it shows the knife to be available with bone stag, and also with “Cocoa”. I’m thinking maybe Cocoa is the same as cocobolo, which is also a dark wood? Maybe that’s the wood rather than walnut on your knife. ::shrug::

(Also notice the price in 1905 - $8 per dozen!) :shock: I’ll take a dozen, thank you very much. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

herbva wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:42 pm Bingo! That 1204LP is definitely the knife. Except mine must have walnut scales rather that black composition, but it think "1" is the correct handle key for walnut. Thanks so much for the "digging" Ken! :mrgreen:
Here is one that I have had awhile. Might be hard finding a blade as the 04 pattern is the only Case Bros pattern that I am aware of where both blades have the XX stamped out on the blade.

Tom
Attachments
008.JPG
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

olderdogs1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:53 pm
herbva wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:42 pm Bingo! That 1204LP is definitely the knife. Except mine must have walnut scales rather that black composition, but it think "1" is the correct handle key for walnut. Thanks so much for the "digging" Ken! :mrgreen:
Here is one that I have had awhile. Might be hard finding a blade as the 04 pattern is the only Case Bros pattern that I am aware of where both blades have the XX stamped out on the blade.

Tom
Tom, your knife is a beauty. If you want to swap with the one I have, I'm all in. And I agree, finding a replacement blade is going to be a really, really long shot, but you never know....... :D

Herb
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

herbva wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:47 am
olderdogs1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:53 pm

Tom
Tom, your knife is a beauty. If you want to swap with the one I have, I'm all in. And I agree, finding a replacement blade is going to be a really, really long shot, but you never know....... :D
Think I will keep mine, lol. The ones in Sargent’s book look like they have a secondary pen blade so maybe some of them did? I have only seen a couple and they had both blades stamped like the one in the illustration. Good luck with yours, either way.

Tom
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Picked this one up this week . What do you Think??? ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG