1977 blue scroll engraved set

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Jhncrwfrd

1977 blue scroll engraved set

Post by Jhncrwfrd »

I recently bought 2 sets of 8 - 1977 blue scroll knives. My pastors grandfather left them to him and he wanted to sell them. One set has the engraved bolsters and is numbered "52", the other set is not numbered and does not have the engraved bolsters. I am new to this site, tbh I am more of a gun person and that translated to the knife guy to my church apparently. I was wondering about the actual value and where the best place to sell them would be. I am leary about Ebay, but mainly because I'm not super familiar with selling on there. This seems to be a great site and have a lot of knowledgeable people. Any suggestions, tips, or general facts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
20211103_172316.jpg
20211103_172229.jpg
20211103_165432.jpg
Screenshot_20211103-113825_Messages.jpg
jmh58

Re: 1977 blue scroll engraved set

Post by jmh58 »

Very Kool!! 👍😎👍
John 🏁
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Case released 1000 “Collector’s Set” sets with blue scroll engraved blades, scrolled engraved and numbered bolsters. These were sold as intact sets. There were pocket knife sets and fixed blade sets. As I understand it Case also released the same patterns as “open stock” (customers could purchase any of the individual knives (or all of them) separately, which did not have numbered scrolled bolsters. You appear to also have a set made up from those open stock knives. It should be also noted that some “flippers” acquired sets of the numbered scrolled bolster sets, broke the sets and sold the knives (and wooden boxes) individually. Thus it is possible to have “sets” made up of individually purchased, unnumbered/scrolled bolster knives and a box acquired individually.

Your best source of current value is an advanced search for eBay sold listings of the item in question. For your convenience I’ve done it for you. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=1& ... t&_sacat=0. Note that some of the sales are of original complete sets (boxed set of 8 matching serial numbered, scrolled bolster patterns) and others are “made up” sets of open stock knives. Be sure you’re comparing apples-to-apples when looking for values.

If it’s your desire to sell the knives you’re welcome to sell them here on AAPK, in the Knife Commerce forum. However to sell anything here you need to be a premium subscriber. The fees are nominal and likely less than you’d pay eBay in commissions if you sell there. Details of the various membership levels can be found by clicking on the “Support AAPK” box on the upper right of this page. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

John those are fantastic knives. I have all the stag sets from 1976-1981. I would say the blue scroll and the red letter set from 1978 are the most popular. Ther is nothing wrong with selling on ebay other than the fact that you will pay about 15% of the final value in fees but you will probably realize a greater sales price than you would with a private sale so just discount the knives by 15% to compensate. Current ebay asking prices for the engraved bolsters are $1895 . The pain bolsters less.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are awesome sets. ::tu::

When I first got into knife collecting about 10 years ago, one of the first things I did was put together a set of the Blue Scroll knives. They really used some awesome, fat honey stag on these. I even found this Blue Scroll Clasp Pumpkin Box to put them all in.

Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Attachments
IMG_20211103_205105825.jpg
IMG_20211103_204946762.jpg
IMG_20211103_205339800.jpg
IMG_20211103_205756019.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:06 am Those are awesome sets. ::tu::

When I first got into knife collecting about 10 years ago, one of the first things I did was put together a set of the Blue Scroll knives. They really used some awesome, fat honey stag on these. I even found this Blue Scroll Clasp Pumpkin Box to put them all in.

John
Red those are awesome. I too was taken with those stag sets when i commenced collecting. You really can't beat those sets for a statement in stag. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:13 am

John
Red those are awesome. I too was taken with those stag sets when i commenced collecting. You really can't beat those sets for a statement in stag. :D

Thanks, Greg, and I agree. ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jhncrwfrd

Post by Jhncrwfrd »

Well, these comments are awesome! I went ahead and just got a gold membership. Not a big knife guy, buy $40 for a year? Ill do my part to help out for sure. Yall helped me. As for Ebay... I would much rather sell them here, or another reputable site. However, after reading the seller requirements, Im afraid I do not meet them. I have no idea if the un numbered/non engraved bolster set was purchased all at once or in pieces. Seeing how the man had an engraved and numbered set, a non engraved bolster/non numbered set, a single 1965-1969 peanut, and three knives from the 2000's. My hunch is that he bought all the blue scrolls at the same time. I have no proof of that, just a hunch. Is selling in the forums different than actually posting items?.. As far as requirements? I just simply do not have a history of selling knives, and I'm not going to Lie to sell a knife. That being said.. This really is a pretty cool site. I literally didn't know there was a group of people that knew so much about case knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Jhncrwfrd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:20 am Well, these comments are awesome! I went ahead and just got a gold membership. Not a big knife guy, buy $40 for a year? Ill do my part to help out for sure. Yall helped me. As for Ebay... I would much rather sell them here, or another reputable site. However, after reading the seller requirements, Im afraid I do not meet them. I have no idea if the un numbered/non engraved bolster set was purchased all at once or in pieces. Seeing how the man had an engraved and numbered set, a non engraved bolster/non numbered set, a single 1965-1969 peanut, and three knives from the 2000's. My hunch is that he bought all the blue scrolls at the same time. I have no proof of that, just a hunch. Is selling in the forums different than actually posting items?.. As far as requirements? I just simply do not have a history of selling knives, and I'm not going to Lie to sell a knife. That being said.. This really is a pretty cool site. I literally didn't know there was a group of people that knew so much about case knives.

I don't sell knives, but I bet someone here who does would be able to help you out. ::nod::

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jhncrwfrd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:20 am Well, these comments are awesome! I went ahead and just got a gold membership. Not a big knife guy, buy $40 for a year? Ill do my part to help out for sure. Yall helped me. As for Ebay... I would much rather sell them here, or another reputable site. However, after reading the seller requirements, Im afraid I do not meet them. I have no idea if the un numbered/non engraved bolster set was purchased all at once or in pieces. Seeing how the man had an engraved and numbered set, a non engraved bolster/non numbered set, a single 1965-1969 peanut, and three knives from the 2000's. My hunch is that he bought all the blue scrolls at the same time. I have no proof of that, just a hunch. Is selling in the forums different than actually posting items?.. As far as requirements? I just simply do not have a history of selling knives, and I'm not going to Lie to sell a knife. That being said.. This really is a pretty cool site. I literally didn't know there was a group of people that knew so much about case knives.
John if you bought a gold membership then you have the ability to sell as many knives as you want on this forum. If you look at the top of any page you'll see Home ,Forum ,Research etc... click on forum and scroll down to knives for sale or trade. Click on that forum and select new topic ,list your knife or knives. Since you recently joined it may take one or two days before you are cleared to sell. Amazingly there is one guy who operates this entire forum.,his name is Bryan and he's as big a knife nut as anyone here but it takes a little time sometimes for him to complete everything.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Jhncrwfrd

Post by Jhncrwfrd »

Nice, thank you for that information. I'm not in a hurry, just trying to wrap my head around how this things works. Its a little confusing for sales and I dont want to get banned on day one...lol
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jhncrwfrd wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:04 am Nice, thank you for that information. I'm not in a hurry, just trying to wrap my head around how this things works. Its a little confusing for sales and I dont want to get banned on day one...lol
Yeah just let it marinate for a day or two. You should be able to sell by then. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

John
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: Real nice set John!! ::groove::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm

John
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: Real nice set John!! ::groove::
John :D

Thank you, Sir. ::handshake::

CoreyNClay

Post by CoreyNClay »

I would be interested in one of the sets . Even the plain bolster ones . Let me know what you decide on selling them and how much . Thank you. coreynclay@gmail.com
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CoreyNClay wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:50 pm I would be interested in one of the sets . Even the plain bolster ones . Let me know what you decide on selling them and how much . Thank you. coreynclay@gmail.com
The OP has not logged in here since December 9 so you might want to send him an email via his AAPK member profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=47559
else he might not see your post.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”