Confusion about my knife, need help pls.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
TCovenant123

Confusion about my knife, need help pls.

Post by TCovenant123 »

Howdy!

I need help with a Case knife. It says CASE XX on one side of the large blade, and says 06247 on the other. So it's a 1965-1969, and it's a 06247 which means that it's a 2 blade, Medium Stockman. So far, so good. Mine's old and very worn. The jigging in the middle is almost flat, it's so worn. So it's had a ton of use. What's baffling to me is the shape of the smaller blade. All the info I can find indicates it had a fairly wide blade, but mine is really thin and pointy. Is it possible that this is the original blade, and it's just been worn down that far from sharpening? How likely is it that this is not the original blade? If it is original and it's that worn, does that mean the knife is worthless?

I don't know how to attach pictures to a post, but I went to the gallery and uploaded 2 photos of the knife. Look for TCovenant123.

One more question: Is it advisable to clean these? Or is that best left to experts? I'm a coin guy, not a knife guy, and I would never clean a coin, as that would harm the value. I don't know if the same is true for knives?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Confusion about my knife, need help pls.

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That is most likely the original blade that has been sharpened down to almost nothing from decades of use. It's very common to see blades like that on real old knives. Knives worn out to that point don't have much value unless it belonged to an ancestor, then it would be sentimental value not dollar. The clip blade also looks shorter than original from sharpening and wear.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TCovenant123 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:07 am

I don't know how to attach pictures to a post, but I went to the gallery and uploaded 2 photos of the knife. Look for TCovenant123.

Thomas
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

You'll find instructions for posting pictures in a post in "Tips & Tricks" ---►viewforum.php?f=98
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: To AAPK, TCovenant123! ::handshake::
I looked at the pictures you posted and feel you have identified your knife properly. It is an 06247 from the 1965-'69 era. It has a standard clip blade and it started life with a full pen blade which is now missing a lot of metal.
The value is priceless if it is sentimental knife, if not it is a well worn old Case with minimum value. It would fall into the user category in my book.
As far as cleaning, clean if you like, oil the joints and use it. Cleaning probably won't hurt the value.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TCovenant123

Post by TCovenant123 »

Thanks, guys! This is what I kind of figured. It's clearly been someone's favorite knife and it kind of does my heart good to see that someone cared that much for it that they used it that much. I found it in a storage locker, and I have other personal effects that I need to return to the owner. I will add the knife, as it seems likely that it's sentimental to them.

"Ta"!

Thomas

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”