WW1 W.R Case & Sons Hobo

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
XxTestedxX

WW1 W.R Case & Sons Hobo

Post by XxTestedxX »

Recently picked up this unused hobo, W.R Case & Sons

More commonly found by makes such as Holley, Ulster, Camillus etc.
Attachments
A103FDD0-5C2B-4FEB-A327-B3D9B3391F00.jpeg
50A1D3A9-20D1-4711-BA47-E20FB02FBEC5.jpeg
AC140FCD-EAA3-44DB-850A-26E820257C6C.jpeg
95D096E5-FD44-4498-BD60-DBB0BA95B2B1.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WW1 W.R Case & Sons Hobo

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! Possibly a contract knife made for W.R. CASE & SONS. JMO. What makes you think it’s WWI? (Not saying it’s not, just curious. Most sources date the stamp 1905-1914 - WWI didn’t start until 1914.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

That could vary well be..

Case has an article on their page about them.. so I went with that

As for it being a contract knife, that’s possible to, figure if it was military, maybe they contracted several manufactures to make them. It would seem odd they’d contract case to do such and case go on and sub contract it.. however, that’s business so..
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I've had quite a few of those, not a W.R.Case. I read that some were Red Cross contracts and many didn't get to the front before the armistice and hence, not distributed. That could explain why all of the ones I've seen are in nearly unused condition. The U.S. didn't enter the war until April 6, 1917 with the first American troops landing in France in June of 1917, seventeen months before the end. It's a nice relic of that awful war. ::shrug:: J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

XxTestedxX wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:46 am That could vary well be..

Case has an article on their page about them.. so I went with that
What article are you speaking of? I’d like to read it.

Thanks.
Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:22 am The U.S. didn't enter the war until April 6, 1917 with the first American troops landing in France in June of 1917, seventeen months before the end. J.O'.
That’s why I was questioning the WWI theory. If Case stopped use of the W.R. CASE & SONS stamp in 1914 as most sources say, and used the CASE BRADFORD stamp from then until 1919, I’d expect anything made by them for WWI to be stamped CASE BRADFORD. I’ll be the first to agree the dates of use for the stamps is not absolute. Just trying to find some concrete evidence of it. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

https://www.casexx.com/blog/red-cross-knives/

Small article. Nothing concrete

It’s says x amount were made in 1917 alone, however doesn’t say when they started marking them?

I’m open to idea of the stamp being used post 1914
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks. Interesting. I suppose the Red Cross might have ordered them for WWI before the U.S. entered the war. That, or as I suspect the dates the stamps were used are not finite. ::shrug::

BTW that’s the Shepherd Hills Cutlery web site. You had me looking for it on the Case website. ::dang:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

The pattern may not have been exclusively for the war, just a pattern that was adopted from an earlier production some time prior to the war. ::shrug::
J.O'.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”