Help ID my new to me Case, please?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
10Seventy9

Help ID my new to me Case, please?

Post by 10Seventy9 »

Ok, so I bought a Case 6333 small Stockman at the local pawn shop this afternoon. It has a red/white/blue US Flag shield, decorative bolsters on 3 of the 4 bolsters, and the left front one is marked "U.S.". Also, on the large blade, the number "098" is etched very lightly just above the Case logo. Can anyone give me a hand identifying which version of the Small Stockman that I have?
PXL_20220811_210300598.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help ID my new to me Case, please?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

As you've stated, it's a 6333 pattern, which is a so called small "stockman" partern too small to be effectively used as a stockman. :lol: As for the rest of its story I'd need to see the stamps on the blades, which will reveal the date code to tell when it was made.

Case has made probably hundreds of different "themes" over the past 20-30 years, plus customized Special Factory Orders (SFO) for large retailers like Shepherd Hills Cutlery, SMKW and others. Someone here might recognize what version you have but you might have to contact Case to find out (if they even know). Consumer-relations@caseknives.com, or look up the phone number on their web site www.caseknives.com.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

My guess is that the "098" is serial number 98 of x number of so many made.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

That is one of the union knives from the civil war series sfo’s for SHC.
10Seventy9

Post by 10Seventy9 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:10 pm As you've stated, it's a 6333 pattern, which is a so called small "stockman" partern too small to be effectively used as a stockman. :lol: As for the rest of its story I'd need to see the stamps on the blades, which will reveal the date code to tell when it was made.

Case has made probably hundreds of different "themes" over the past 20-30 years, plus customized Special Factory Orders (SFO) for large retailers like Shepherd Hills, SMKW and others. Someone here might recognize what version you have but you might have to contact Case to find out (if they even know). Consumer-relations@caseknives.com, or look up the phone number on their web site www.caseknives.com.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken

I don't have great lighting at my desk, but here's a photo of the markings on the blade, it looks like there are 3 X's above the Case logo, and an X-dot-X-dot under the logo on the blade, and of course the number 098 above. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vy1Rr8GeQ1iQTApn9
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

The Xs and dots, along with the font of the word Case, indicate the date. 2013 for this one.

Click "Research" at the top of the page and scroll down to the Case Pocket Knife Age link.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think the post by BIGHEAD after mine answered your question about the knife’s theme. To decipher the date code and determine when it was made, click on “Research” in the header at the top of this page, then scroll down to the section on W.R. Case Pocket knife age identification, and compare the stamps shown with your knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

10Seventy9

Post by 10Seventy9 »

Hey, I just want to thank all of you who responded, I found out more about this knife in the half an hour after the thread was approved and posted than I did in well over an hour trying to dig around the internet for information. I bought this intending to carry it, but it seems maybe it's collectible enough that I should just put it up for now and continue to carry my blue copperlock mini.... I'd hate to wear this one or break it if it's a collectible. Pawn shop only wanted 14 bucks for it, I couldn't bear to leave it for that little money, LOL.
10Seventy9

Post by 10Seventy9 »

BIGHEAD wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:43 pm That is one of the union knives from the civil war series sfo’s for SHC.
Can I ask what or who SHC is? Thanks!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

10Seventy9 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 am
BIGHEAD wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:43 pm That is one of the union knives from the civil war series sfo’s for SHC.
Shepherd Hills Cutlery. www.caseXX.com. One of the largest dealers of Case knives in the world.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

10Seventy9

Post by 10Seventy9 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:07 am
10Seventy9 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 am
Shepherd Hills Cutlery. www.caseXX.com. One of the largest dealers of Case knives in the world.

Ken
Thanks! I've carried my copperlock mini for 15 years, but haven't ever really been into the collector side of things at all. Bought my copperlock mini from the local hardware store.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

10Seventy9 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:53 am Bought my copperlock mini from the local hardware store.
And that's exactly how it begins. Beware, you're perilously close to falling headlong down the knife collecting rabbit hole!!! :lol:
~Q~
EC_Snooker

Post by EC_Snooker »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 am
10Seventy9 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:53 am Bought my copperlock mini from the local hardware store.
And that's exactly how it begins. Beware, you're perilously close to falling headlong down the knife collecting rabbit hole!!! :lol:
He speaks truth.....

Ask me how I know..... 8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Welcome to the AAPK! ::welcome::
That's a beautiful little stockman you found. And at a great price too! ::nod:: Congrats! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
10Seventy9

Post by 10Seventy9 »

Ok, another question for the group here... I bought this because I love this particular knife, and I do realize that it's 1 of only 100 of this design, but I don't have the box or anything else that originally came with it, and I honestly bought it because I intended to carry it. Do y'all think this will be something that will jump to a high value down the line and should be put back and not used, or would you carry and use it? I'm kind of torn on what to do. I called the pawn shop back and they looked for the box for me (I repair band instruments for a living and I know the people there really well and trust their word... I buy a LOT of used instruments from them), but they did not have the box, so I know that hurts it's value down the road probably, too. Would you use this knife or put it back for safe keeping?
TPK

Post by TPK »

10Seventy9 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:42 am Ok, another question for the group here... I bought this because I love this particular knife, and I do realize that it's 1 of only 100 of this design, but I don't have the box or anything else that originally came with it, and I honestly bought it because I intended to carry it. Do y'all think this will be something that will jump to a high value down the line and should be put back and not used, or would you carry and use it? I'm kind of torn on what to do. I called the pawn shop back and they looked for the box for me (I repair band instruments for a living and I know the people there really well and trust their word... I buy a LOT of used instruments from them), but they did not have the box, so I know that hurts it's value down the road probably, too. Would you use this knife or put it back for safe keeping?
Well, IMO, I'd put it in my little show case for looks. But that's just me and opinions will probably differ on the subject. Knives as an "investment" is almost like playing the lottery. You might get lucky, you might not. I'm sure it's value will increase to some extent over the years. Question is..., how much? ::shrug:: It's a beautiful little stockman and I'd say it's worth $50 or more right now if it's unused, unsharpened ect. so it could be worth a pretty penny 20 or 30 years down the road. But that's all just my opinion and I'm a relatively "new" knife enthusiasts. ::nod::

If you think of selling it, I'd be interested. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

The Grey Confederate line seem to bring more $$$ than those blue union side of the line. But if someone has the whole set but that one it could bring $$ for the collector to complete the set. That being said it is yours to do what you want with. But there are plenty of that pattern of regular production knives out there for sale if you just gotta carry that pattern. This is just MHO. YMMV.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

First I’ll say that collecting knives as an investment is a poor decision - in general their value just about keeps up with inflation. There are occasional exceptions for individual knives and circumstances. As Barry said the best scenario to make a profit from yours is to find someone with a hole in their collection which your knife fits, and they’re willing to spend more than usual to fill that hole. Finding that “someone” is a crapshoot.

It’s your decision. At this point it’s a single knife, not a collection. The 33 pattern is typically one of the least expensive knives in any set. You’ve “bought in” at a reasonably low entry cost, but how much it costs to turn it into a profit is TBD. Given the right circumstances you might make enough profit to buy lunch. Weigh that against how much satisfaction and usefulness you’ll get from carrying and using it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

My approach to carrying or not is likely a little different. Some of my knives were purchased with the intent of being carried, while others will never be carried. Some are primarily for display, but see occasional pocket time. Occasional pocket time can include use or not (just taken out for light handling and admiration). My knife usage isn't demanding, so occasional carry and use are easier to justify.

As for the Union blue 6233, it's one I'd occasionally carry. Not because I'd worry about reducing its future worth, but because the 33 pattern would undershoot my sweet spot of three to four inches closed. As Ken said, knives tend to keep pace with inflation. My experience with anything that people collect (knives, toys, coins, and you name it) is that items targeted to collectors do just that. Most of them wind up preserved, thus keeping most of the initial supply intact.

It's your knife, so enjoy it as you see fit. ::handshake::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”