Case 2231 1/2

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Nev52

Case 2231 1/2

Post by Nev52 »

I just need some info on this knife.I picked up this Case awhile ago not knowing what it was until I loosened it up and got it open. I posted it in the forum and found it was a 2231 ½. I have a question for the Case experts. When I look up a Case 2231 1/2 they have the secondary blade behind the main blade. This knife has the secondary in front of the main blade. Nail nick is on the same side as main blade so blade has to be in this position if secondary blade was behind main you could not open without main being open. At one time did this model have the secondary blade in the front?? Thank for any information on this .
Thanks Nev
2231 tang.jpg
2231 sab.jpg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 2231 1/2

Post by herbva »

Hi Nev. I would never dare to call myself a "Case expert", but I can tell you the all of my 31's have the primary blade in the front, and all of the regular 2-blade pattern 31 jacks pictured in Steve's great book have the primary blade in front. Looking at your pictures, the pin heads look to me like the pins may have been replaced at some point, so I'm thinking that the knife has been worked on, and the pen blade in your knife has been replaced with one that has the nail nick on the left side. Just a theory.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m no expert on the 2231 pattern, but on several Case two-blade jack patterns it is not uncommon to find them with secondary blades both in front of or behind the master blade. Seems to be pretty much random, possibly depending on what kind of secondary blades were available (which side the nail nick was on) at the time the knife was assembled. Someone more familiar with that pattern might know otherwise though.

Of course it’s always possible the blade could have been replaced, but on yours the wear and patina looks consistent on both blades so I’d guess they’re both original to the knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you Herb ::handshake::
I don't know Herb I think Ken is correct everything looks the same age. The pins are worn smooth this knife has seen a lot of use and pocket time.

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Ken ::handshake::
I think you are correct. The knife has a lot of even wear maybe it is just a odd ball. I will post some more pictures. The blades line up correct and have the same patina.

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Here are a few more pictures. Thank you all for the help.
Nev
case 2231.jpg
case.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

No model stamp on this knife? Still pondering blade configuration but main nick looks slightly hidden and off to me. Rest of the knife appears normal and consistent.

Hard to tell from pictures but appears to be jigged at one point, factory or not. Might be a 6231-1/2 Rough Black very pocket worn irregardless of blade configuration doubts (and I have a doubt but hope to learn more). Just really hard to tell with provided pics.

Is there minor handle shrinkage where handle does not butt up tightly to the bolster? Rough black shrinks, slick back does not in my experience.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Here are some more pictures of the knife. No model number on blade that I can see. This knife was rusted up when I got it. She is well worn.Knife handles are jigged but very worn knife spent a lot of time in somebodies pocket.
Nev
2nd case.jpg
case 2 tang.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That knife is a 620035 1/2.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for chiming in Steve! Hope life is well.

Well I was off on that one and it explains certainly what did not feel right for a 31 frame since it isn'ta 31. Should know better given I own one but my knowledge is rusty.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... lit=620035

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

knifeaholic wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:25 pm That knife is a 620035 1/2.
Thank you for your help on this. ::handshake::
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

zp4ja wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:36 pm Thanks for chiming in Steve! Hope life is well.

Well I was off on that one and it explains certainly what did not feel right for a 31 frame since it isn'ta 31. Should know better given I own one but my knowledge is rusty.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... lit=620035

Jerry
Jerry,
Thanks for the info. Your knife looks a lot better than mine. ::tu::
Nev
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Your welcome Nev. Sorry for original erroneous info. Hard to tell from pics but makes complete sense now with Steve's valued input.

Regards, Jerry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”