Case XX 6254, don't know how old it is.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
JonasEverson

Case XX 6254, don't know how old it is.

Post by JonasEverson »

I recently was given a Case 6254 XX by a friend, and after doing some research, I noticed that all other versions of this knife lack the needle point blade that this one has. The blade is in very good condition, so I don't think it was modified in any way. No new designs have this style of blade, so I think it's a pretty old knife. Any help for finding when this knife was made, specifically what year, would be very appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20220904_084556739~2.jpg
IMG_20220904_084803114.jpg
IMG_20220904_084742336.jpg
IMG_20220904_084634942.jpg
Live free or die
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case XX 6254, don't know how old it is.

Post by treefarmer »

JonasEverson,
I believe your knife will fall in the 1990-'93 era when there was a big change in the tang stamp dating system for 4 years. Read the tang stamp by looking below the Bradford, Pa. and you should see the year marked on both sides of the USA, example (19USA93). Look closely and I believe yours is a '93.
The blade with the "needle point" is a much-sharpened standard clip blade. The spay blade has also been sharpened enough to change the tip's original shape.
Looks like a great old Case that has been well used!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case XX 6254, don't know how old it is.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think tf has it correct. The blades started life as regular clip master and regular long spey secondary, but have been "modified" by sharpening, to the extent that they’re misshapen into what you’re now seeing.

As for the age it’s difficult to tell from the pictures, but if you’ll click on “Research” in the header up at the top of this page, it will take you to the section where answers to most such questions can be found. Scroll down to “W.R. Case & Sons Pocket Knife Age Identification” and click on it. Then compare the tang stamp on your knife with the examples found there, and you’ll find yours in the 1990-1993 section. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”