Change in Case tang stamps

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Change in Case tang stamps

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just announced on the Case Collector’s Club site. Immediately followed by posts there with concerns over counterfeiting. I don’t see a problem myself, at least not for years - no one counterfeits modern Case knives - there’s no money in it! Plus lasers are not cheap, even more so those capable of doing what Case describes in that announcement.

Ken
Attachments
BA85C1B5-982A-41B4-B0A1-A054FA57383D.jpeg
513E16F1-0831-4BB1-8941-74E42D20DECB.jpeg
513E16F1-0831-4BB1-8941-74E42D20DECB.jpeg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Re: Change in Case tang stamps

Post by cody6268 »

Makes perfect sense to me. Most other cutlery companies do it these days. Most of my US-made Spydercos, Benchmades, Esees, and even some Bear models have a lasered stamp.

Making tang stamping dies has to be pricey, and those wear out and have to be replaced over time. A laser is almost a one-and-done purchase and does not need to be replaced. Also, I'm sure it works much better on some of the harder, tougher premium steels Case has recently introduced. I'm sure this will also help to keep costs down, which means Case is better off financially, and it means they can keep costs passed on to us consumers down.

I wonder if this also means patterns that typically don't have a date stamp (i.e. Mini Blackhorn) will?
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

I read this too on the Case collector's forum. Mixed feelings from me. But having spent 30 years in manufacturing, I understand. As a collector, it's the turn of a page into a new era. It happens.

Regarding the counterfeit potential, they shared a photo showing they will be doing "deep engraving" vs. just a surface scan. So it should turn out well.

**Edit: Just realized you show the laser tang example they posted. Looks good!
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Maybe Case could offer a new service. For a fee you could send your Case knife back to them and have it authenticated. They would then laser mark something on the pile side of the blades that it is indeed a real Case. Or maybe this wouldn't work because there are so many knives that people think are real , but aren't. Or counterfeiters would take the authenticated blades out and put them into Kutmasters. Nah, bad idea.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Interesting, thanks Ken. Things will be bad when one can 3D print old Tested blades. ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm Maybe Case could offer a new service. For a fee you could send your Case knife back to them and have it authenticated. They would then laser mark something on the pile side of the blades that it is indeed a real Case. Or maybe this wouldn't work because there are so many knives that people think are real , but aren't. Or counterfeiters would take the authenticated blades out and put them into Kutmasters. Nah, bad idea.
There isn't anybody at Case who could authenticate any knife more than 20 or so years old. They have nobody there with any experience with older knives, there are people here who'd do a better job of authenticating old or antique Case knives.

As far as using a laser rather than a stamp, I am sure it simply boils down to that the laser is cheaper.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

+1

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”