Remington Photos

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
espn77

Re: Remington Photos

Post by espn77 »

I like my knives to much to risk it. I'll take the tension off. Thanks everyone for the advice. Keith
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Tom just curious, did you find a Remington scout knife with the heroism shield? :shock:
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's an old Split spring R6533 Whittler I've had a while. Found it hiding way back in the cabinet today.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Sent you a PM Rocky
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here's an old Split spring R6533 Whittler I've had a while. Found it hiding way back in the cabinet today.
Greg, does it have an actual split spring or just two separate springs? If it has a genuine split spring, meaning a single spring that is split partway down the length, I would love to see a photo of the spring as true split springs are fairly rare. Your R6533 looks like it could be old enough to have a genuine split spring.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a little Barlow I picked up recently for $40. Seller called the handle scales "Exotic Material" and it sure looks and feels like elephant ivory to me.
PC120318.JPG
PC120325.JPG
PC120321.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

QTCut5 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Here's an old Split spring R6533 Whittler I've had a while. Found it hiding way back in the cabinet today.
Greg, does it have an actual split spring or just two separate springs? If it has a genuine split spring, meaning a single spring that is split partway down the length, I would love to see a photo of the spring as true split springs are fairly rare. Your R6533 looks like it could be old enough to have a genuine split spring.

~Q~
I wish Q. It has the two springs with a spacer for the two secondary blades. It's pretty old though ,it has the one piece steel liners and bolsters.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Q, I find your Barlow knife intriguing!
As stamped on reverse of tang stamp Remington UMC, it says authorized reproduction...Germany. Who made the knife for Remington? What time period?
The scales look like bone, Ivory,??? I had a friend make me a couple knives several years ago who lives in Africa an used giraffe bone, tusks from wild bore, or wart hog and other "special material" not ivory. The scales on your knife are beautiful indeed. Very interesting. ::nod:: ::hmm:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Agreed...I really can't say for sure exactly what the scales are made of...it looks like elephant ivory to me when compared to other knives in my collection that I know are elephant ivory. However, I am not an ivory expert and I have absolutely no knowledge about knives made by Remington (as I said, this is my first and only Remington knife). Perhaps someone who has more expertise & knowledge of the Remington brand could share some insight? I do find it interesting that the pile side tang stamp says "Authorized Reproduction"--I have never seen that stamp on any other knife and it makes me wonder why the manufacturer (whoever it was) bothered to put it there. Is this particular Remington pattern so popular/ubiquitous and/or copied that legitimate/authorized reproductions must be labeled as such so as to distinguish them from counterfeit knockoffs? Very curious indeed.

The plot thickens... ::hmm::

~Q~

~Q~
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

If you can see elongated pores like those by the front handle rivet they are bone. Ivory doesn't have the pores.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The question is whether Remington ever made or authorized a reproduction of this particular pattern (Spear Point Barlow) with elephant ivory scales? If so, when? and by whom was it made?

Remington experts...what say ye?

Inquiring minds want too know.
PC120327.JPG
PC120324.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Q, Remington did make a single blade spear point barlow such as example RB040 or the RC090. Remington also used exotic materials such as tortoise and genuine ivory or white bone. Examples would be the R3385-S and the R1707 or the R1477. Now it is "possible" they made the barlow in discussion with ivory but I have not located and example of said knife as of yet.
As discussed in another thread, related to the validity of a "Remington" knife made in Germany with a very different tang stamp with "german script lettering" of "Remington" as the tang stamp. I am developing and substantiating a theory.
After researching articles on Remington's cutlery start up in 1919, the history of Boker in Germany and in the U.S. as well as articles written in The American Cutler I believe that it could possibly be that Boker made some of the official and unofficial knives for Remington.
Just as a reminder, Remington officially contracted Boker in 1996 to make some of their "wildlife series" knives. These were produced in the Solingin Germany factory.
A thought to ponder... if these were fake knives produced overseas why don't we see a more saturated market? Such as the boot or leg knives? Still digging and researching for a definitive answer.
::tu:: ::nod:: ::super_happy:: Rocky
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I picked this cardboard insert up about a year ago and some day I'll get a replica box to put it in. Till then
Attachments
IMG_20170127_195840185.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Absolutely beautiful Keith! What a great looking collection of knives. I admire the way you strive to be creative in displaying your knives. Good luck with the case you are looking for. I have seen them time to time on the internet. I'll keep my eye out for you. ::handshake:: ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Rocky. I know there used to be a guy on there that made reproduction scout boxes. If he would post more I'd talk to him about building me one. He looked like he did a good job
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Keith, beautiful group of Remington knives and the cardboard insert as a backdrop is fantastic.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Jerry. One of my main goal in my collection is to try and display the knives the way they would have been in the hardware stores back in the day. I like the catalogs, cases, and accessories that came along with them. Remington took the advertising to a whole new level. I have a piece in the mail now that im pretty excited to show off when it gets here.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

espn77 wrote:Thanks Jerry. One of my main goal in my collection is to try and display the knives the way they would have been in the hardware stores back in the day. I like the catalogs, cases, and accessories that came along with them. Remington took the advertising to a whole new level. I have a piece in the mail now that im pretty excited to show off when it gets here.
Great idea Kieth. Nice display of the stockman!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Wayne
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This was in my mailbox this morning. I have a theory of what it's for. Interested to here what you think it for. Late 30's stamp.
Attachments
IMG_20170219_075840982.jpg
IMG_20170219_075912.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

The Remington catalog states it's an adjustable box cutter. Not at home so I forget the pattern number. Some have listed it as a clam shucker of all things. Nice example Keith, I have a Morton's salt advertising example.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Box cutter is what I thought it was. I'd love to see the add if you get a chance.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith I'm working a 12 hour shift at the hospital and won't be home till 8pm ish tonight. Look towards the back section of the C-30 catalog and you will see a copy of the add there with a description of the pattern. ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Rocky. But I haven't got a c-30 yet. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Here ya go Keith! ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1770.JPG

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”