Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

?????? What are you trying to say Keith. Your own book says a R3414 is pearl. The one you are showing is not pearl and has a tang stamp Of R3413.
Dosen’t appear to match because it appears to be pieces and parts of knives.??????
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Whoops. Seems I'm getting good at typos. R3413
wlf

Post by wlf »

Looks almost like PAL era with those handles . Another beautiful Remington.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

So...tell me all the reasons you believe this is an original factory Remington R3413 Keith.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Rocky, it doesn't appear to have been messed with. If it was messed with the punch and main blade aren't original to the knife.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

My personal views to the side...what are the reasons you believe that this is an original factory Remington R3413? No harm in asking Keith. Just trying to understand your research and rational on this knife.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Just sharing a thought or two.
It was back on February 8th,2010 when Damitri asked the question,”Where are all the Remington knife collectors”?
It was then that the call was answered at first by Paul, Bob, Harold, Philip and others and we began to see and share knowledge on Remington collecting and the history of Remington’s cutlery. It was infectious information and practical illustration for every collector especially for a Remington enthusiast/ collector .
The Remington torch was carried by those that had and shared a passion for Remington and wanted to expand that passion and share that information with others so as to enhance each collector’s experience and provide a reasonable guidepost for others to possibly use in buying pieces for their collection. Personally speaking I sat at the knee of a few of those folks sucking up as much as I could learn, honing my collector’s craft.
In the 9 years since then what a wonderful illustrative catalogue of topics, knives and memorabilia on the Remington name brand and cutlery subject matter in general that has been accumulated and shared for the whole world to read. Thank you Bryan again and again.
Some at one time or another were torch bearers and were given the name “Remington whales” because of their knowledge and expertise on Remington cutlery or the company in general. That knowledge was valued and looked upon as a notch above the rest. They were the “go to” persons for solid guidance and answers.
Today, there are some new standard bearers and my challenge to you is “Know your passion”! Others are looking to you for sound guidance and direction. Research your passion and stand ready to give others your reason for your thoughts and opinions. Share not only the example but the rational description with the example. Yes I know some will say,”Damn Rocky lighten up it’s just a knife forum”... yes true, but for me it has always been more... a tight community of friends, family, teachers and so much more.
Excuse the rantings of an old fool...but I believe the torch must be carried responsibly high so as to clearly light the way for next generation of passionate collectors. ::tu:: ::handshake::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I agree with you Rocky, I've had that knife for over a year and haven't posted it because I wasn't sure if it was correct. As I've collected more and seen variations in a pattern I believe the knife to be right. The knife should have a long pull and an acorn shield, according to the reference books. It's a late 30's knife and that is where I see the most differences. Here is another knife. R4853. Ink stamp, more than likely a contract knife, Stewart and Ritchie describe the knife just like mine but have a picture of it without a punch blade. The more Remington knives I see, handle, own, the more questions I have. Shouldn't that be the opposite???
Attachments
20190124_204528.jpg
20190124_204543.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post everything Keith! No one is the beginning and the end authority on Remington’s cutlery. Give the info you have and then put it on the table for discussion and others opinions. If after pictures and full discussion you find a knife to be a part of the fold then...marvelous! If not, you and others have shared valuable knowledge that makes one wiser as a collector. We, (AAPK) have a deep well of gracious knowledge when it comes to collecting. Some have been at it longer than others and may have an understanding or a different view that might be worth the listen. For me... this is the cornerstone of the forum... sharing and discussion...teaching, learning and growing. You are a part of this... you are now one of the torch bearers. You are one of the go to guys for others who need clarification and guidance.
Remember Remington’s pledge of quality and craftsmanship. The attention to detail in material and standards that set them apart from anyone else in the day.
Yes you will find variance in patterns... maybe related to the subcontracted knife or the give away/ awards knife. Yes things changed towards the end of Remington’s cutlery hay day and for that reason have a discerning eye. Many work within that realm to pass a knife off as legitimate when it is not. Nevertheless you are acquiring a beautiful collection. Continue to seek out and know your passion. ::handshake:: ::tu::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I went back through all 64 pages and looked at the pictures, no reading just enjoyed the pictures.

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

It is truly an amazing pictorial of beautiful knives Harold. I too go back for a look see and am amazed at the tremendous collection that this forum has acquired! Great collectors with great Remington knives! ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Some things we come across just make us scratch our head.
Someone went into the store and needed a pry bar and the hardware store was sold out. So the next best thing was this knife, purchased it and went to use the main blade to pry open something, breaking the tip off the blade they thought, dog gone it, that isn't going to work. Went to the pen blade only to snap it clean off. This R15 knife I think still has the factory edge. ::facepalm::
Attachments
20190128_194340.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith that is a crying shame! I have that knife and posted it in the forum somewhere. It really is a stout little knife and has a lot to offer. Like you I believe it’s the original knife with factory etch and edge. ::uc:: ::doh:: ::dang::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Keith,that is a prying shame. ::facepalm:: :mrgreen:
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Hard to believe
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

I really appreciate AAPK, you guys and gals have shared so much information. I stumbled across this knife a few months back. There is no tang stamp and no etch. But from spending a little time reading here I had an idea what it was, I think. I remembered a post about a Remington offer in a Hunter Trapper Trader magazine. Is this one of those?
Attachments
DSCN5215.JPG
DSCN5216.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Yes it is. Most had only blade etch. I have owned both with blade etch only and tang stamped. Very few with tang stamping. They were offered as a premium in the late 20’s. I have a copy of the ad but I will have to find it. Thank you, John
John
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Those are cool knives I think. Big man knives. I know a couple of guys have better examples than mine here, but here is mine. No tang stamp and no etch. I believe they came with an etch originally but mine has been rubbed off.
Attachments
20190203_145730.jpg
20190203_145714.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I believe the pattern is called a Bulldog. Here is how it was advertised in the Hunter-Trader-Trapper (HTT) magazine. My example has an etch, but has no markings whatsoever on the tang. You will notice the image in the magazine ad shows both etching and tang marks. Of the few of these that I have seen, my experience echos pearlroosterman's in that very few have tang marks.
Attachments
Remington HTT Bulldog Advertisement.jpg
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Thanks for your replies. Mine has considerable wear looks like. I am happy to have come across it and even known what it was. Only one I have ever seen besides here. I am not focused on Remingtons like some are but have managed to find a few. I am really grateful to be able to have access to the knowledge here at AAPK.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

luckydog64 wrote:Thanks for your replies. Mine has considerable wear looks like. I am happy to have come across it and even known what it was. Only one I have ever seen besides here. I am not focused on Remingtons like some are but have managed to find a few. I am really grateful to be able to have access to the knowledge here at AAPK.
You did good finding your knife ::tu::
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Still looking for a mint ::dang:: r963 but this one will have to do for now ::groove::
Attachments
3CFFDC34-28C4-4550-8F71-B46C1B6AA7B5.jpeg
3751FDEB-202F-4BE7-919F-20475A8E7886.jpeg
82B133DD-0721-482C-A2AC-6267407F6FED.jpeg
D6F0A8EF-DFFE-4A69-A789-49B8C7BB5C6C.jpeg
1CF1ACF4-6705-4955-A6F5-88B298D18464.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Junior scout R4384 .
Thanks for looking .

Mike
Attachments
EC6A6DC1-6CCD-40C3-A113-61C8133D66EF.jpeg
8DC33182-C47E-49C4-946C-D3FC74094906.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mike. You picked up some great ones. I was wondering if you got that R963. Very nice ::tu:: that R4384 is the first one I've ever seen. Thanks
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Mike thank you for the look see! You always have impressive knives to show. Beautiful examples, thanks for taking the time to post them. ::woot:: ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”