Remington Knife Question

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Remington Knife Question

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Thanks MB, I think it was good information and I personally learn stuff I didn't know and padded my reference library nicely. ::super_happy::

Aside from the opportunity I had to learn, I think the current knife in discussion is far from the previous Remington tang discussion notwithstanding the zeppelin topic on the scale. ::shrug::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

It's not just a Zeppelin topic, in my estimation the stamping is actually identical down to the number of windows in the buildings.

JMO
AREMINGTONSEDGE

I will agree that the zeppelin scale casting is the same but for me there is a lot of difference in the knives. What is more interesting for me is what appears to be two zeros stamped in the blade,( I don't see this as part of an etching) as noted circled in red. I believe that this knife is correct for the era and topic matter among others things as stated before and with possible support from information recently posted. I would like to agree to disagree with you on the maker of this knife for now...still looking deeper in research for clues and answers to say one way or another if for no one but for myself. I have seen this same Remington stamping on several older knives but for now I am struggling to find them...But I am trying and I am persistent. Some might say...a bit hard headed! LOL :lol: ::tu::
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Sharing... according to knife world's KASTOR Tang Stamps http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/knifeworld/kastorlist.pdf number 258 on the list...from 1933-1940 Kastor/Camillus and other companies made an advertising knife for Remington with a "straight line Script lettering tang stamp". Does anyone have an example of this knife? Could our discussion knife be an example of this knife? could this knife have been made in the U.S. or in Germany and exported to the U.S? Was this the beginning ties with Camillus and Remington's joint knife ventures? Still searching... ::nod::
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I'm at a bit of a loss as to understanding why the script "Remington" referenced in this list doesn't refer to the common "straight line Remington" contract knives as the author seems to imply by his use of "straight line" in his description, in which case these knives are not uncommon (I own a couple myself).
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Trying to draw a possible conclusion that, "It may be possible...that one of several cutlery companies such as Boker and or A. Kastor, (whom both at the time having factories in Solingin Germany and in the United States) were under contract by Remington for importing and exporting cutlery for sale in Germany and or the U.S.. That possibly the knife mentioned was tang stamped as it was in Solingin Germany by said company or another company that at present is unknown but at that time was authorized by Remington to produce a speciality knife celebrating the milestone marvels of transportation such as portrayed on the knife scales by the zeppelin and Bremen.

The reference to the Straight line script was only to show that A. Kastor made knives for Remington in that same time period.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Interesting letter from Remington correspondence sharing intentions to start cutlery division; circa. July 31st,1919.

Please note this letter is a copy that I pulled from one of my Remington journals. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_2130.JPG
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Interesting letter.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”