Remington Authorized Reproduction made knives

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Remington Authorized Reproduction made knives

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Thought I'd start a new thread mostly to share ideas and information regarding Remington " authorized reproduction" knives. Hopefully a place to share Information on diverse cutlery companies and areas of manufacturing as well as pictures of reproduced unique Remington made knives. ::handshake:: I'll start.... ::tu::

The knife shown is a Remington R1123 reproduction trapper made by Alcas for Camillus USA in the Early 1970's. This was well before Camillus began reproduction of the Remington Bullet Knife series in 1982 for Remington. The photos below were drawn from the internet to provide visual identification of knife.

The auction house owner of this knife stated, "This Remington Alcas 1976 USA authorized reproduction R1123 prototype bullet knife was on display in the president of Camillus cutlery office when the factory closed. This knife was made by Alcas and is a never produced prototype."

Below is an information excerpt on Alcas from the internet.

"The Alcas Knife Company (Alcoa & W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery)

Alcas was a partnership between ALCOA Aluminum and Case Cutlery located in Olean, New York. Alcoa, which is the world’s number one producer of alumina and aluminum formed Alcas in 1949 with another company, W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company.  In 1972 Alcoa bought out CASE – and in 1982 Alcas became a privately held corporation.
CUTCO’s Early Beginnings (FROM CUTCO’S WEB SITE).
CUTCO Cutlery was introduced in 1948 as a new product for Wear-Ever Aluminum, a subsidiary of ALCOA. The name of the new cutlery line was derived from a company once owned by Wear-Ever, the Cooking UTensil COmpany - CUTCO.
ALCOA sought out the expertise of the finest cutlery manufacturer in the U.S. at the time, Case Cutlery in Bradford, Pa., to manufacture the new cutlery line. It was a joint venture that created a new ALCOA company called Alcas Cutlery (AL of ALCOA and the CAS from Case). The new Alcas Cutlery factory in Olean, N.Y. was completed in 1949 and the first set of cutlery was shipped to New Kensington, Pa. that same year.

CUTCO® is the largest manufacturer and marketer of high-quality kitchen cutlery and accessories in the US and Canada. The corporate “family” consists of Alcas Corp, the parent company; CUTCO Cutlery Corp, Vector Marketing Corp, exclusive marketer of CUTCO directly to consumers via sales representatives located throughout the U.S. and Canada; CUTCO International Inc., responsible for international marketing; and KA-BAR Knives Inc. All are headquartered in Olean, New York.
More than 100 cutlery products are sold under the CUTCO name, as well as a variety of kitchen utensils, gadgets and flatware, sporting and pocket knives, and garden tools.
Alcas Cutlery Corp. 1116 E. State St. Olean, NY 14760"

Hope you found this as interesting as I did and will join in on what you have or what you find. ::tu:: ::hmm:: ::nod::
Attachments
rem2.jpg
rem2.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
remington-alcas-1976-usa-authorized-reproduction-r1173-prototype-bullet-knife-4fa975809187d9801608c9eb9281b101.jpg
remington-alcas-1976-usa-authorized-reproduction-r1173-prototype-bullet-knife-4fa975809187d9801608c9eb9281b101.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
remington-alcas-1976-usa-authorized-reproduction-r1173-prototype-bullet-knife-dd35698e2e333995c49f727c2251744a.jpg
remington-alcas-1976-usa-authorized-reproduction-r1173-prototype-bullet-knife-dd35698e2e333995c49f727c2251744a.jpg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
rem4.jpg
rem4.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Remington Authorized Reproduction made knives

Next is the Remington R1123 made by Camillus USA for Bowen. I think but am not clear that this was the Bowen Knife Company USA that began its business in 1969. Again this was a predecessor to the Remington Bullet Series by Camillus in 1982.
I welcome other's input for verification. ::nod:: ::tu::

Below is an excerpts from the Auction house seller detailing aspects of the knife.

"AUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OF THE FAMOUS REMINGTON R1123 2 BLADE TRAPPER BULLET KNIFE. THERE WHERE A LIMITED QUANTITY ( I THINK 500) OF THESE PUT OUT IN 1974, 1975 AND 1976. THIS PRECEEDS THE BEGINING OF THE LINE THAT STARTED IN 1982 WITH THE R1123. THE BULLET SHIELD ON THIS ONE IS ETCHED 1976 - 425. THESE KNIVES WERE MADE BY CAMILLUS FOR BOWEN.THIS KNIFE MEASURED 4 1/2" CLOSED AND THE HANDLES ARE DELRIN LIKE THE 1982. THE PICTURES TELL THE STORY AS FAR AS THE REMINGTON TANG STAMPS AND ALSO THE AUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION STAMP ON THE BACK OF THE ONE BLADE."

The photos below are downloaded from the internet for visual identification.
Attachments
rem bowen 3.jpg
rem bowen.jpg
rem bowen 2.jpg
rem bowen 4.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

On or before 1996 and 1997 Remington authorized Boker of Solingen Germany to begin production then distribution of their "Wildlife" series canoe pattern which were called the "Elk" and "Ram" series. These were made in Germany and exported back to the USA for Remington. The subsequent Remington knives produced in the series were authorized and transferred to Camillus Cutlery in Camillus New York, USA for production. Noted difference is the tang stamping Circle Remington, outside circle "Made in Germany", on the Solingen knives. One Boker German series 1996 Bull Elk had beautiful 3 color deep etching and a variation in the Boker Tang stamp. The other 1996 has no color and a before mentioned tang stamping.

The photos below are not mine and are used for visual identification.
Attachments
wildlife knife two.jpg
remingtongerman wildlife knife.jpg
wildlife knife.jpg
german remington.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm glad you started this thread Rocky. I don't have anything intelligent to add. But I've always wondered about the knives you are talking about. Thanks
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Don't forget the Authentic Reproduction Scout knives Rocky. They started in 2009 and were supposed to run through 2013 but Bear and Sons never received a purchase order for the pearl shown here. The years that were manufactured are shown in the small thumbnails on the right

Fit and finish was subpar and they nowhere near measured up the the originals but the concept was cool.
Attachments
Remington Scout Knife Program.JPG
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bestgear wrote:Fit and finish was subpar and they nowhere near measured up the the originals but the concept was cool.
Too true Tom. I bought one for my buddy (as a birthday gift - Jan. 2011) who was involved with Scouts for years and had to send it back to get it squared away before I could give it to him. Even then I wasn't all that proud of the gift.
Remington Scout RS4233 R2A.JPG
Squirrel, does this fit in what you want to discuss here??? (first three Camillus made. Don't know about the last one)
Remington_R14 - Labeled.JPG
Attachments
Remington-R14.JPG
Remington R-14W (Aug '14) - Open Mark - Labeled.JPG
DSC07588.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

bestgear wrote: Fit and finish was subpar and they nowhere near measured up the the originals but the concept was cool.
You ain't kidding ::doh::

I went round and round about this when these first came out, I still get a kick out of the statement used on that advertisement, "made with tooling from the original Remington Bridgeport CT. factory". ::uc::

But I digress, nice knives and thread Rocky! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks for The information and pictures. Yes Moose perfect fit. Thanks MB. Appreciate your contribution Tom. There are additional examples as follows:

Such as "Schrade manufactured many pull-ball knives for sale under other brands, including Remington, Case, and the "J.C.N. Co." (Jewelry Cutlery Novelty Company of North Attleboro, Massachusetts) Always looking for a new way to appeal to customers, Schrade continued to experiment with new forms of switchblade designs up to the time of his death in 1940."

Knives that are subcontracted: Example, MKT Railroad advertising from Quick Point, St. Louis or the Ralston Checkerboard Purina advertising knives.

So discussion and pictures related to" subcontracting cutlery companies" in and outside the USA who were Authorized to make knives for Remington.
I know that aside from Germany and China, Remington had knives made in Italy but who was the company?
So hopefully its a good place for questions and answers but also as a go to resource for others on the internet drawn to AAPK for solid information.

Qualifications should be that it is a Remington knife or have Remington stamped on the shield, tang or blade and can be varified by documentation that it was authorized by Remington.What do you think? ::nod::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

According to Jordan Davis VP of Marketing and Business Development of the Remington Arms Company website January 18, 2017, Buck knives will be the authorized official licensee of Remington cutlery. ::woot:: ::woot:: ::ds::More to Come...
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

It would be nice if Buck finished the BSA Authentic Recreation set and produced that beautiful pearl although I don't know if Buck has ever produced a pearl handled knife (not a Buck collector).
Tom
AAPK Administrator

AREMINGTONSEDGE

Tom it would indeed very cool for them to do that but doesn't seem likely. I am very interested as to what happened at Bear & Sons and why they lost the contract. ::hmm:: ::paranoid:: could it have been the lack of quality in production? :roll: ::doh::

Resurrecting this... Thanks for the original post Jerryd! http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/wow-6.html
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I had a long conversation with Ken Griffey at Bear and Sons about this situation Rocky. His claim is that they were ready to produce the 5th knife in the series but BSA wouldn't issue a purchase order for production to begin. Since BSA never carried these in their catalogs or Scout Shops, my guess is the only revenue the Remington Authentic Recreation knives generated for BSA was through their licensing agreement with Bear and Sons. While quality may have played a part in BSA's decision, the same poor quality was there from the 1st in the series so why cease production in the last year of the series?

Having worked with BSA National for many years I can tell you that traditional logic does not apply, their business model is significantly different than any others I ever been exposed to so their motivation may be completely out of line with what we think might be the drivers.

Why do you think that Buck wouldn't want to produce the last in the series? I know the relationship between Buck and BSA has been an on-again off-again courtship because of the position that Chuck Buck took about:

"The fantastic growth of Buck Knives, Inc. was no accident. From the beginning, we determined to make God the Senior Partner. In a crisis, the problem was turned over to Him, and He hasn't failed to help us with the answer. Each knife must reflect the integrity of management. If some¬times we fail on our end, because we are human, we find it imperative to do our utmost to make it right. If any of you are troubled or perplexed and looking for answers, may we invite you to look to Him, for God loves you."
Tom
AAPK Administrator

AREMINGTONSEDGE

Tom, I support The Buck family and their testimonies of God's involvement in their lives and business and applaud their unwavering stance.
Buck may continue with the BSA knives but I think in a newer look and design to the original Remington BSA knives and will have to have BSA sign off on a commitment of official authorization. We'll have to wait and see. ::nod::

My real question is to why Bear & Sons lost the Remington contract. ::hmm::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Another knife that appears to have the same tang stamp that Boker used on the Remington 1996 and 1997 "Wildlife Series" knives.
This is the Remington Folding Hunter Lockback knife. Note tang stamp Remington over UMC in circle made in Germany outside and around circle.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
lockback Remington Germany.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Another look see at proclaimed authorized production tang stamped Remington knives. Clearly unknown who produced these knives but placed here as a reference guide for future use and identification.
The small gentleman's knife was very different as it is stamped on the bail Remington Sterling and Italy Stainless on a blade tool. I personally do not believe this was authorized, however
I thought it belonged as a possible reference. ::hmm::

Please note these pictures were drawn from the internet for visual example and are not mine. ::tu::
Attachments
rem barlow 2.jpg
rem barlow 3.jpg
rem barlow 4.jpg
rem barlow 5.jpg
s-15004.jpg
s-15002.jpg
s-15001.jpg
s-l500.jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Remington R1123 Authorized Reproduction (1972 Camillus made)
Attachments
Bullet 1972 R1123 (1).jpg
Bullet 1972 R1123 (2).jpg
Bullet 1972 R1123 (3).jpg
Bullet 1972 R1123 (4).jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

A beautiful knife for sure and it has all the quality and craftsmanship that one would expect from Camillus. Great collection piece Vit_123. ::tu:: ::nod::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Resurrecting this thread and the enclosed web site with the hopes that it will answer or shed light on a few questions raised in similar threads on this topic.

http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/wow-6.html

Rocky
jat

Post by jat »

Hopefully someone can verify the manufacturer date on this one.i was told this is not the correct box for it which is dated 1997 and definitely would not be the first time I saw someone a knife in a random box .It looks just like the 1972 pictures above other opinions have been all over the place ranging from a 1978 1982 and after that any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20210325_083030.jpg
20210325_082521.jpg
20210325_082504.jpg
20210325_082042.jpg
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I recently picked up these two knives. I'm not as knowledgeable about Remington knives as I'd like to be. I know both of these knives are reproduction/contract made but I don't know for sure who made them. The top knife is a 1988 Bullet Muskrat R4466 and the bottom knife is a 1993 Bush Pilot Bullet Moose R4356. I'm pretty sure these knives were made by Camillus but I'd love to confirm that. Any info will be greatly appreciated...
Attachments
BP BM.jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Both Camillus. Good knives, very well made.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:01 pm Both Camillus. Good knives, very well made.

Ken
Thanks Ken. I was pretty sure that was the case but I know there are/were other cutlers that made Remington contract knives and I wanted to be sure. I wouldn't mind having an original R4466 but I ain't rich! :lol:
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”