Lady Remington

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Berryb

Lady Remington

Post by Berryb »

I got this knife at a garage sale a couple of months ago. The guy says; "I looked it up, it's called a Lady Remington". I was pretty sure a Lady Remington was an electric razor, but for 9 bucks I wasn't gonna argue. I didn't pay alot of attention to it 'til I found a couple other old Remingtons. So now I have a Remington collection, and have started doing some reading.
I found out that what I thought was a blade etch may actually be Ink. There is a short thread about it in the archives here. If you look closely there is some black crud on the blade. I'm afraid to clean it because I don't want to lose any more of the blade etch. There is more left than you can see in the picture. So how stable is the ink they used? will rubbing alcohol or acetone ruin it? I even hesitate to use my thumbnail, My "go to" crud remover.Thanks.
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Lady Remington

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hard to tell from the pictures, without knife in hand, but you might try the sharpened "lead" end of a pencil. Gently rub the lead on the crud, a little at a time to see if it removes it. Stay away from the etch. Wipe gently as you go with a soft cloth to remove the graphite residue from the blade. If you like the results proceed accordingly. If not, you won't have done any damage. Depending on what the crud is, you may or may not be able to dislodge it with the pencil lead. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm with Ken. Stay away from the etch and the pattern number. Speaking from experience it takes very little effort to remove a Remington ink etch. Nothing is more disappointing than to realize what you have just done when it is gone forever. ::facepalm::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

It looks like a inked pattern number.

Harold
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I tried the pencil, didn't help much. It got some of the thicker places off but still left some staining. If I didn't know better I'd say it was tar of some sort. Anyway I've decided to just leave it alone and consider myself lucky to have a "lady" with a past. Even if the past was cutting asphalt shingles. Thanks
Bruce

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”