Remington harness jack-HELP

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Remington harness jack-HELP

Post by edge213 »

I picked this one up at a flea market this last weekend.

I'm trying to figure out the pattern number and the name of the pyremite covers (brown pearl, brown agate ??).

Remington teardrop harness jack. Main blade is clip, secondary blade is punch.
3 3/8 closed
Acorn shield

I have looked in the following books.
Remington Knives Past and Present, Stewart and Ritchie.
Collector Knives, Houston Price and Mark Zalesky.
The Standard Knife Collectors Guide, Ron Stewart
B.L. 3rd.
Big Book of Pocket Knives, Stewart and Richie.

I have seen some close, but not this one.
Attachments
20170704_152927.jpg
20170704_152906.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ScoutKnives

Re: Remington harness jack-HELP

Post by ScoutKnives »

Looks like a R255-r according to the Remington C-5 catalog.
Attachments
IMG_4853.JPG
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The books list an R255 as 3 5/8, mine is 3 3/8. What does your catalog say?
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Bump, for the Remington experts.
David
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Edge213. I think you need to think of your knife being 3 1/2 inches long. I struggle that the precise measurements of knives don't actually match the book. This is a R1783. Book says it is 3 1/2. Actually is 3 3/8. I didn't find your knife in the short time I looked but maybe that will help you find it in your books.
Attachments
20170705_195751.jpg
20170705_195717.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thanks man, I will look through them again.
David
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

David, I would like to toss my 2 cents in the pot if your ok with that...
The Remington catalogs # 1 (1921) and the C-5 catalog (1930) list your knife as the R255-R with (pyremite scales).
It's length is 3 5/8 inches closed.
I find the most intrigue in reading the catalogs and understanding that the catalogs we have are guides/illustrations and never state having complete illustrations of "all" the knives Remington offered. On the contrary the disclaimer is, "This, the first issue of a Remington Cutlery Catalog does not pretend to illustrate and describe the very complete line of American Pocket Knives which we have planned and prepared to make at the Remington Cutlery Works." Even in our modern Remington catalogs the authors state similarly the same.What I'm trying to convey is that we sometimes get caught up in the absolutes, but these are catalogs that offer a sampling of Remington's cutlery line. Remington stated many times that any catalog could change at a moments notice and considering Remington produced catalogs that spanned several years between each offering things did change. There is ambiguity in Remington's cutlery production, but I think the early production years 1920-1930 are strict and detailed as to the specifics of knife production as clearly stated in their early catalogs and guarantees. As one moves to the 1930's and DuPont's influence on production cost as well as the influence of economic times generated by The Great Depression, one begins to see the vagueness or ambiguous processes in Remington's cutlery production. I do not believe that this disabled the quality or superior craftsmanship of Remington knives but created future voids in the precision of collecting Remington knives. Is your knife a true Remington production knife? Yes! There are many selling points of your knife that would substantiate that claim, with regards to the closed length of 3 3/8 v/s 3 5/8 I think it falls in that void as a transition 1930's production knife based on similar discussions in other posts on the subject. On a humorous note. I don't know why we men get caught up in measuring the length of our knives and miss the importance and enjoyment in the functionality of our knives. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::hmm:: :lol: ::tu::

Disclaimer!!
I have worked a 16 hour day at the hospital and it is close to 12:30am. I may be sleep deprived and rambling a bit! Good night Irene!
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:David, I would like to toss my 2 cents in the pot if your ok with that...
The Remington catalogs # 1 (1921) and the C-5 catalog (1930) list your knife as the R255-R with (pyremite scales).
It's length is 3 5/8 inches closed.
I find the most intrigue in reading the catalogs and understanding that the catalogs we have are guides/illustrations and never state having complete illustrations of "all" the knives Remington offered. On the contrary the disclaimer is, "This, the first issue of a Remington Cutlery Catalog does not pretend to illustrate and describe the very complete line of American Pocket Knives which we have planned and prepared to make at the Remington Cutlery Works." Even in our modern Remington catalogs the authors state similarly the same.What I'm trying to convey is that we sometimes get caught up in the absolutes, but these are catalogs that offer a sampling of Remington's cutlery line. Remington stated many times that any catalog could change at a moments notice and considering Remington produced catalogs that spanned several years between each offering things did change. There is ambiguity in Remington's cutlery production, but I think the early production years 1920-1930 are strict and detailed as to the specifics of knife production as clearly stated in their early catalogs and guarantees. As one moves to the 1930's and DuPont's influence on production cost as well as the influence of economic times generated by The Great Depression, one begins to see the vagueness or ambiguous processes in Remington's cutlery production. I do not believe that this disabled the quality or superior craftsmanship of Remington knives but created future voids in the precision of collecting Remington knives. Is your knife a true Remington production knife? Yes! There are many selling points of your knife that would substantiate that claim, with regards to the closed length of 3 3/8 v/s 3 5/8 I think it falls in that void as a transition 1930's production knife based on similar discussions in other posts on the subject. On a humorous note. I don't know why we men get caught up in measuring the length of our knives and miss the importance and enjoyment in the functionality of our knives. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::hmm:: :lol: ::tu::

Disclaimer!!
I have worked a 16 hour day at the hospital and it is close to 12:30am. I may be sleep deprived and rambling a bit! Good night Irene!
Thanks Rocky, I really appreciate the information.
David

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”