Need Help with Odd Remington Tang Stamp

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
espn77

Re: Need Help with Odd Remington Tang Stamp

Post by espn77 »

That is interesting. I didn't notice that. I need to pay closer attention to the details
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

espn77 wrote:I thought I had one of these but was out of town. Interesting, all 3 examples have the yellow cracked ice handles. Mine is a 1933-35 Remington stamp. Same handle material, and all DuPont era knives. Glad you asked about this Buckibbq. I had wondered the same thing.
Isn't that the knife I sent along with the holy grail?
espn77

Post by espn77 »

It sure is Brad.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Thanks for all your continued interest. I was trying to make a connection to the DuPont company and the questionable tang stamp but still no luck on my end. I'm glad to have a least found another example of this stamp. The investigation continues...
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

This may be a stretch, but, as I look at the tang stamp I really do see SWP Co. The "P" is joined to the "W". The "C" is overlaid on the "P", sort of making it look like an "R". I think the logo stands for Sherwin Williams Paint Co. Just my guess. I found the knife at an estate sale near Cleveland and the Sherwin Williams Paint Co. is headquartered and was founded here. Could this have been a promotional or giveaway knife? ::shrug::
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I messaged Jim Pitblado about your knife and he confirmed that the stamp is definitely Sherwin Williams Paint Co .
Cool knife .
Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mike. Appreciate you asking about it. Thanks
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Mike in my researched I read about the Sherwin & Williams logos but found nothing close to the tang stamp in discussion. Did Jim have a sample to share of the logo & it's history or a behind the scenes story? If anyone should know...it would be him! ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Would a company spring for an advertising piece and only use such a subtle and easily overlooked logo? I would think they would want their name on the handle as well.

Dennis
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Rocky , Jim said he previously owned a mint example but couldn't remember the history on the knife .

Always fun figuring out the mysteries Keith :)
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks Mike!
Here is my example...
This is puzzling for me. I trust Jim because he has such a vast history of knowledge and experience with Remington's cutlery. However this is not the ordinary way that Remington contracted their knives. Normally Remington placed their logo on the main blade tang stamp to show their brand name quality and let the contracting company place their logo on the secondary blade. Most advertising and promotional/giveaway knives were etched on the main blade with a companies logo or theme or placed on the knife's scale in one manner or another. Remington was very specific about that in their advertising menu located in their Jobber's Price Guides. In my research their are around 10 or so companies that produced contracted knives for Remington and all were in whole or in part involved in cutlery production. In the research that I have poured over I cannot find Sherwin & Williams involved in cutlery production nor in the many logo example that I have seen did they have one that matched this one. I am very interested in reading down this rabbit hole to see whats what.This has been and is a great discussion that I have so enjoyed and of which led to owning a cool knife that I would never have given a second look at. Thanks Buckibbq!
Attachments
P1010090 (2).JPG
P1010091 (2).JPG
P1010090 (3).JPG
P1010093 (2).JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

ScoutKnives wrote:
Always fun figuring out the mysteries Keith :)
Yes sir. That is a big part of what has drawn me towards Remington knives. The lack of information, of all the knife companies I think your network of "other collectors" is most important here. I've always liked learning and I very Much enjoy the information and people, contacts I've made so far in my young collection.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The last thing I want to do is derail this thread, BUT, I have only 3 knives in my collection with another tang stamp than Remington and all 3 are different locations. Two are "Quick Point, St. Lewis" and the other has the stamp of the knife in question.
Attachments
Main blade front tang
Main blade front tang
Main blade back tang
Main blade back tang
Pen blade front tang
Pen blade front tang
Pen blade back tang
Pen blade back tang
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Nice knives Keith. Quick point was a cutlery company that made their own knives and was contracted by Remington to make a few advertising knives. They were authorized to use the Remington logo. As you know Remington was the BIG leader of production knives in that era and Remington was a known symbol for high quality and craftsmanship. It would be good business to be able to tag your cutlery with their brand which went hand in hand with best of the best.
To the best of my understanding...and I can be wrong...The ownership of the company's logo and that company's production knife would placed their maker's logo most often on the front side or "mark side" of the knife's blade and tang. if not, it would be considered a "private brand/logo" or a contract knife.

The attachments are from a 1929 Remington Jobber's Price Guide. Just sharing solid documentation/information.
Attachments
P1010110 (2).JPG
P1010111 (2).JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Duuuuggghhhhh...Sherwin not Sherman...The 'ol lunch box got some rotten meat in there. ::doh:: ::doh:: :oops: :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:
millern

Post by millern »

I just found another example of the Remington/SWP Co. stamped pen knives.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_3060.png
IMG_3063.png

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”