vintage Remington pocket knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Oak2112

vintage Remington pocket knife

Post by Oak2112 »

Hello I've recently came across a vintage remington pocket knife. I don't have any information on it and I'm really curious about it. The markings I got off of the blade is a "UMC" which I Googled and found out was Remington. I don't know what kind of metal is made out of. I cannot make out the numbers there's too much rust and age. I was scared to clean the blades and remove the patina in case it would decrease the value or ruin the look. I'd appreciate if you would kindly give me some knowledge on the knife. I've also done some research on Carl B Melander he was born in 1890 and did reside in Illinois. I'm going to attach a couple photos I appreciate any buddies help thank you have a great day.
Attachments
1509824013397124101419.jpg
15098240797701398923772.jpg
1509824103518907267739.jpg
supratentorial

Re: vintage Remington pocket knife

Post by supratentorial »

It's a candle end lobster pattern. There is a pattern number on the blade but it might not be legible. Might be a R6259 or a similar model that shares the same parts as the R6259. I'm not sure about the pivot pin on the blade. It may have had a bail that was broken off.

The handle appears to have been plated and some of the plating has come off. The R6259 had "gun metal" handles. Remington also made candle end lobsters with pearl and other cover materials.

To PRESERVE an old knife, just wipe the blades down with a rag damp with mineral oil until it no longer dirties the rag. "Cleaning" and "Restoring" are euphemisms. They appeal to fantasy. Your knife is closest to original now. Any resurfacing with abrasives or buffing will replace Remington's work with your own work.
1925-Remington-r6259.jpeg
c1925
Oak2112 wrote:Hello I've recently came across a vintage remington pocket knife. I don't have any information on it and I'm really curious about it. The markings I got off of the blade is a "UMC" which I Googled and found out was Remington. I don't know what kind of metal is made out of. I cannot make out the numbers there's too much rust and age. I was scared to clean the blades and remove the patina in case it would decrease the value or ruin the look. I'd appreciate if you would kindly give me some knowledge on the knife. I've also done some research on Carl B Melander he was born in 1890 and did reside in Illinois. I'm going to attach a couple photos I appreciate any buddies help thank you have a great day.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”