Page 2 of 3

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 pm
by espn77
Try to oil the joints. It should open automatically into a full open position. You did good on your purchase.

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 pm
by americanedgetech
LanG wrote:Thank you! I would call it partial opening- pull the ball back and the blade pops out about 1/4 way.
Well that's pretty cool! I have to assume then that the blades spine sits fairly flush with the scales when it is closed. I didn't see a closed picture.

I would follow my impulses all the time if I scored like that. ::nod::

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:04 pm
by LanG
espn77 wrote:Try to oil the joints. It should open automatically into a full open position. You did good on your purchase.


Thank you! I'm waiting on some Quick Release Oil to come in the mail (was hoping it would arrive today, too). I will give it a drop when it arrives.
You said you hadn't come across a lobster knife. Were those not yours posted above? What material do you think the handles on mine are?

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 pm
by espn77
Those are mine. I haven't come across a slick black one yet. Yours looks to be in good condition.

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 pm
by espn77
Actually I take that back. Your handles look to be pyremite. Remington's version of celluloid.

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 pm
by LanG
espn77 wrote:Those are mine. I haven't come across a slick black one yet. Yours looks to be in good condition.


Ahh. Very nice collection! The bone one is especially stunning to me. Is the lobster pattern unique to Remington, or did others make them, too?

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 pm
by espn77
I think others made them too. Remington made a lot of them. Even at that good condition is hard to find.

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 pm
by LanG
Here's a couple pics of the pull-ball closed:
CIMG5925.JPG
CIMG5921.JPG

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 am
by Mumbleypeg
Is the lobster pattern unique to Remington, or did others make them, too?
The lobster pattern was very popular at one time, like 100 years ago. Most of them had manicure blades, and many had a bail so they could also function as a pocket watch fob (think bankers, clerks, accountants, office workers - not folks that worked trades or agriculture). Most knife makers offered one or more lobster patterns in their product lines at the time. Here's an old thread with some dandy examples. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28749&hilit=Lobsters

Ken

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 am
by espn77
That is a great thread. Thanks Ken

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm
by LanG
Mumbleypeg wrote:
The lobster pattern was very popular at one time, like 100 years ago. Most of them had manicure blades, and many had a bail so they could also function as a pocket watch fob (think bankers, clerks, accountants, office workers - not folks that worked trades or agriculture). Most knife makers offered one or more lobster patterns in their product lines at the time. Here's an old thread with some dandy examples. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28749&hilit=Lobsters

Ken


Thank you for the education, and the link. A lot of great knives in that thread!

espn77 wrote:Try to oil the joints. It should open automatically into a full open position. You did good on your purchase.


Got my quick release oil in today. One drop and that thing pops open like I can't believe! It startled me the first time. :shock:

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm
by americanedgetech
Like a Vampire, and it's first drop of... oil? :D :D :D

ESPN is THE MAN! ::tu::

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 pm
by msteele6
The bottom knife (whitish handled gunstock) does not appear to be a Remington. The others look like nice knives.

JMO

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm
by americanedgetech
msteele6 wrote:The bottom knife (whitish handled gunstock) does not appear to be a Remington. The others look like nice knives.

JMO
What makes you think that sir?
I'm only attempting to add information to the thread, and not doubting you for a second... ::handshake::

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 pm
by espn77
msteele6 wrote:The bottom knife (whitish handled gunstock) does not appear to be a Remington. The others look like nice knives.

JMO
I agree