Remington shield chart (????)

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Meridian_Mike

Remington shield chart (????)

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello everyone.
I am looking at this Remington folder and I see they did use a shield like this but I can't find a year run for this shield.
The tang stamp is too crapped over to see so I am wondering if y'all can tell me what year this guy was made.
Remington 1.jpg
Remington 2.jpg
Seller says Remington..... I am really wondering if this is so.....

What y'all think?

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
ScoutKnives

Re: Remington shield chart (????)

Post by ScoutKnives »

With those composite type handles I would say toward the end of Remingtons existence 1938/39ish
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Is that a punch or awl blade?? Remington usually if not always used an acorn shield on knives with awl/punch blades. Maybe this doesn't apply to "straight line" Remingtons which were supposedly made on contract by others. You can't read the tang stamp? I would not trust a seller's ID if you can't read a tang stamp. I have seen way to many knives for sale online where the tang stamp is plain to see yet the seller says it was made by another firm. Usually I think this is because they need stronger reading glasses but it happens often enough that I would ask seller for legible photos of the tang stamps.

Just looked closer at the partially visible tang stamp and it may well be a cheap model Remington "straight line" knife. If it is it would be a contract knife made as a cheaper line of merchandise and likely is totally original as seen. I would still like to see a better tang stamp shot.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Sure looks like a awl in this pic.....
Remington 3.jpg
Looking a little more, it appears the tang stamp is the 'Remington" script....

Still clueless.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, I thought it was an awl. I also think it may be Remington in script which is what some call the "straight line" Remingtons. If so it is probably a right knife cheaply made on contract for Remington. They often have the "rough black" scales as this one does and they are not of the same quality as the Bridgeport, CT Remington Cutlery factory knives many of us love. It is entirely possible and likely that the contact knives with awls did not have acorn shields like their "circle" Remington knives with awls did.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

10-4... That makes sense... Thanks for the input.

Mike
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Hey Fellers, y'all's discussion made me wonder, "Is there a difference in an awl and a punch?" Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Let's see.....

Awl... a small pointed tool used for piercing holes, especially in leather

Punch..... strike with the fist. "she punched him in the face and ran off"

Well, there's your difference.

Mike
:D
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Here is a shield chart that Jerry and I put together a while back. Remington put out more shields than this but at the time these were the only physical examples we had. The shield on your knife, I have the same shield on knives that date back to 1924-33. I'd put your knife closer to the 40's because of the handle material. I'd be sceptical on the punch being original to the knife. Jmo

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12268&start=495

Edit. The punch, to me doesn't look like a Remington punch and a wrong shield to go with it.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW... now that is a bunch of shields.

BUT, let me ask, are these shields EXCLUSIVE to Remington or did other companies use these same shields for their knife brands?
I guess I was figuring every knife maker used their own shield design.

::shrug::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Are you referring to contract knives ? Or just other manufacturers in general?
Here is a R2215. Same exact knife. One has straight line stamp the other circle Remington stamp.
Attachments
20171203_130023.jpg
20171003_162616.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I guess to put it another way.

If a folding knife is closed, can you tell who (the names sake) manufacturer would be by looking at the shield alone?
Are Remington shields exclusive to Remington knives no matter who made it?
Was the shield another "trade mark" of a particular knife brand or was a shield just a decoration?

I know the "scout knife" shield was used on several different makers knives.... right?

I'm sure I am muddying the water here but I guess I just need to get this straight in my mind.
::hmm::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm the wrong guy to answer that question as I don't study other brands. But since Case shield has there name in it I'd assume it's exclusive to them. ::facepalm::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

10-4.... I think my shield question went way beyond trying to put a date on this knife...... LOL. Not being a Remington "purist", I guess I will just judge this one on it's merits alone. I like the equal end shape of the knife and the blades are in pretty good shape. Looks like it is maybe a 40's knife.
Thanks everyone for your input.

::tu:: ::tu::

Mike
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Some Remington shields are exclusive to Remington ,but not all of them. Several of their shields are like a lot of other companies. But yes you can identify a lot of Remington knives with the blades closed. Several other clues, such as bone jigging, knife pattern, and thickness of bone scales where it butts up to the bolsters at the edges help to identify a Remington. It’s sort of a challenge to me, to try to identify who made the knife, before I open the blades. Mark
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

10-4 to that.
I am going to a gun show this weekend and several sellers will have a few knives. I usually try to find the older knives before I ask them to open their case.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”