paying extra for a Remington

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
stumpstalker

paying extra for a Remington

Post by stumpstalker »

What do you believe the “premium percentage” would be when buying original (between the Wars) Remington Bullets, such as the R 1273 or R 1123, as opposed to buying a postulated identical knife by another quality maker of the same era?

I am assuming that there is a cachet inherent in the names Remington and Winchester, and am trying to quantify it. The well-known historic and near-mythic gun-making antecedents involved do impart an especial prestige, one that necessarily bestows a higher market value on the original Remingtons and Winchesters, compared with the knives of other comparable makers.

Additionally, what would be your dollar estimate of an excellent condition, or even mint, original R 1273 or R 1123 in today’s market?
espn77

Re: paying extra for a Remington

Post by espn77 »

I don't believe that there is a premium because they are a gun manufacturing company. Look at CASE. They never made guns and one of there big knives like you are describing will bring probably more than a Remington. I might even tend to think that a Remington R1273 might be less cost than another company due to the huge volume of knives that the turned out. Another price difference is who is selling it. If I put the same knife on eBay as a respected seller they will receive more money for there's than I will for mine. Some buyers will pay a premium to say they bought it from so and so.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

One of the values of Remington is the blade etch. Unlike case. Theoretically if the knife has an etch it hasn't been cleaned. Unlike CASE where it can be cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing and most people will call it unused/mint. An original etch definately has value.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

espn77 wrote: If I put the same knife on eBay as a respected seller they will receive more money for there's than I will for mine. Some buyers will pay a premium to say they bought it from so and so.
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I've seen this happen over & over again. That is absolutely true.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

espn77 wrote:I don't believe that there is a premium because they are a gun manufacturing company. Look at CASE. They never made guns and one of there big knives like you are describing will bring probably more than a Remington.
Just my little trivia for the day but Case did make a pistol. At least there was one with their name on it. I remember seeing it in one of Sargent's books.... :) :)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

stumpstalker wrote:What do you believe the “premium percentage” would be when buying original (between the Wars) Remington Bullets, such as the R 1273 or R 1123, as opposed to buying a postulated identical knife by another quality maker of the same era?
In my opinion the Bullet patterns that have analogs from other manufacturers of the period sell for comparable prices. For example, the Case large toothpick pattern (6198), in my opinion, is priced comparably to a little higher than the R1613 with the round shield. The R1613 with the bullet shield goes for more because it is very rare so the price premium is based on supply/demand vs. a brand name. The Case 6151L is comparable to the R1253 and my opinion is that prices are comparable with the Case 6151L being a little more in today's (2018) market.
stumpstalker wrote:Additionally, what would be your dollar estimate of an excellent condition, or even mint, original R 1273 or R 1123 in today’s market?
R1123's in excellent (or less) condition are fairly common in my opinion and seem to sell with 3 numbers in their price (i.e., $999 or less). A mint R1123 would likely get into a 4 digit price. R1273's in any condition are uncommon to find, in my experience. A mint R1273 would be a 4 digit price in my opinion.

If you are aware of mint original Remington Bullet examples that are available and that you aren't interested in acquiring, I would be grateful to learn more about them.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

There is also regional interest which can drive prices. Case is predominate in the South while up here in the North the older brands command the higher prices. Remingtons were made here in yankee land but to many they are "newcomers" and the early brands such as New York Knife Co, American Knife Co, Empire, etc will usually garner more interest than a Remington bullet or other knife.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I can`t think of a knife right off hand that compares to an R1273.Has far as the R1123 there are knives that compare to it.Utica, Kabar and Catt.made a large Trapper.I believe Remington made way more that all the others,maybe even combined.
Roger
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

For reference, these are pictures of the Remington patterns that were mentioned in the original post.
Attachments
Remington R1123
Remington R1123
Remington R1273
Remington R1273
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Very nice R1273!!
John
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

I thank you all for the responses. My premise has been exploded.

Ralph: Thank you for illustrating so nicely the two Bullet Remingtons cited. And, no; I know of no high-condition Bullets available. I was merely trying to pass on some helpful info. to a couple owners of authorized Remington Bullet reproductions. They are not avid knife collecting hobbyists, but rather outdoorsmen with an appreciation of traditionally-styled knives. Still, both individuals have been collector-enough to have kept their Bullets unsharpened, unused and boxed for the years they have owned them. They had been speculating about the comparative values of originals.

My experience with Remington knives is scant. But, I do regret passing up an opportunity 10 years ago to buy a dead mint Remington Moose, a pattern I collect, for $1,000. I was thinking at the time that it would be a preposterous purchase, at least for my finances. But, I still think about that knife.
alabama

Post by alabama »

Winchester and Remington GUN collectors buy knives too-drive up prices...supply and demand--you can buy an old Utica with buffalo head? shield-looks similar-high quality-less money...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Just simply from boredom I will post a couple of Case 51L's strictly for comparison to the 1273 that Jerry posted.
Attachments
20170306_170300.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Just simply from boredom I will post a couple of Case 51L's strictly for comparison to the 1273 that Jerry posted.
Those compare well to an R1253.It is a single blade lockback banana pattern.1273 has 2 blades. ::tu:: Nice knives Greg ::tu::
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

peanut740 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Just simply from boredom I will post a couple of Case 51L's strictly for comparison to the 1273 that Jerry posted.
Those compare well to an R1253.It is a single blade kickback banana pattern.1273 has 2 blades. ::tu:: Nice knives Greg ::tu::
Thanks Roger! I'm not at all familiar with Remington pattern numbers, but I think I have seen one of the single blades.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

R1253
Attachments
20180304_124454.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

espn77 wrote:R1253
Very nice Keith! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
wlf

Post by wlf »

RalphAlsip wrote:For reference, these are pictures of the Remington patterns that were mentioned in the original post.
Is the bone on the 1123 seen often or do I just need to view it on a larger screen?
Could be I’m not used to seeing one crisp?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

wlf wrote:Is the bone on the 1123 seen often or do I just need to view it on a larger screen?
Could be I’m not used to seeing one crisp?
The jigging pattern on my R1123 example is atypical from the normal Rogers jigging found on the Bullets. I have seen a few R1123's with this jigging and have not seen it on any of the other bullet patterns. My speculation, which should not construed as a fact (lol), is that the R1123's with this style of jigging are newer knives made later in the 30's.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks that's what I would guess.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

You have probably seen the picture in Mel Brewster’s 1991 edition of “Remington Bullet Knives” pictured on page 3 , his R1123 is made with the same bone as yours. John
John
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I have seen it on 1123's before and sometimes on one side.

Harold

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”