"Remington Enters Cutlery Field" - American Cutler 1921

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
LongBlade

"Remington Enters Cutlery Field" - American Cutler 1921

Post by LongBlade »

After posting the release of the Bullet knife as found in the American Cutler 1921 I found this article with photos on Remington in the next issue (June 1921) which describes their cutlery business in detail after it had begun in 1919 - to me it was a cool article describing the whole Remington knife making process with some great old photos... In fact you never know which of those workers may have touched and worked on your old Remingtons in your collection :D ... Anyway again this was a pdf but turned it into jpegs of each page - unfortunately the photos wouldn't copy into the article text so any photos from that page would be below the page text as an attachment - and hope they are good for viewing. This will have to be 2 posts in a row to get all the pages and photos included as I think the limit is 10 photos per post.. The last attachment is the end of article but about halfway or so down the page. Personally I can see now how Remington put out so many knives - lots of workers and equipment... Hope you enjoy it! Feel free to pin it to the top if all decide it is worth it....
Page 1.jpg
Page 2.jpg
Page 2  - Tool Room.jpg
Page 3.jpg
Page 3 - Automatic Grinding Machines.jpg
Page 3 - Grease and Lime Brushing.png
Page 4.jpg
Page 4  - Hafting Room.jpg
Page 5.jpg
Page 5 - Finishing Room.jpg

Re: R"Remington Enters Cutlery Field" - American Cutler 1921

Post by LongBlade »

CONTINUED-
Page 6.jpg
Page 6 - Ware Room and Finishing.jpg
Page 7.jpg
Page 7 - Service Floor.png
Page 8.jpg
END
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Remington Enters Cutlery Field" - American Cutler 1921

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is some interesting stuff. Thanks for making this available. The pictures of the "back in the day manufacturing" are just as good as the text.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This is a great educational thread, Lee. ::tu::
That the glazers used wooden shoes and pants is very telling as to the time period.
Also, I was surprised to see that after the women put a cutting edge on the blades the blades were stamped with with a
style number on the reverse tang of the master blade. After heat processing.
I really enjoyed this thread, Lee.
Good show!
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Olde Cutler and Joe ::tu:: ... Glad you enjoyed it - to me it is a really interesting read as it covers just about all aspects from start to finish and the photos definitely give it a visual - you can almost hear and smell knives being made :) ... Actually I think it makes a good read for anybody - maybe I should stick it in the "Real American Knife Lore" thread under Knife Lore ::hmm:: ... Took me awhile to figure out how to do to post this so nice to share it wherever it will be seen but knew this subforum was right ::nod::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”