bloodgroove whittler opinions

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Pile Driver

bloodgroove whittler opinions

Post by Pile Driver »

I got this knife a few years back at a flea market in Massachusetts for $10, it is one of the first knives that got me into collecting. I haven't done anything to clean it, it does however have a primitive cover patch in the bone. How would you treat this knife if it were yours?
20170319_123052_resized.jpg
2016-07-10 11.47.02.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: bloodgroove whittler opinions

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pile Driver wrote: How would you treat this knife if it were yours?
With respect.

For me, that old Remington is only one of two or three that I've ever seen pictures of (and none live and in hand) that has a fuller on the main blade (what you're calling "blood groove")
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Pile Driver wrote: How would you treat this knife if it were yours?
With respect.

For me, that old Remington is only one of two or three that I've ever seen pictures of (and none live and in hand) that has a fuller on the main blade (what you're calling "blood groove")
I believe Remington coined this knife the "Bloodgroove Whittler" with the fuller on the clip point

Am I best to rehandle it or leave it be with the patch that was likely done decades ago?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That’s a fairly rare knife I believe, and aside from the patch it looks to be in good shape (very little blade loss, etc). I’d be tempted to get one of the expert knife mechanics here to re-do the patch and carefully clean it up, then put some renwax on it for preservation. Otherwise I’d just clean it up myself with a pencil lead and a jewelers cloth, renwax it and put it away.

I seriously doubt anyone can replicate that original Remington bone. I’m from the preserve it and change as little as possible school, not the “make ‘em shine” school. I’m sure others will weigh in with other opinions, but that’s what I would do.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That knife is in great condition other than the messed up handle. I would have one of the fellows here who do repair work replace the handles with similar bone. And then put it in my display case!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm from the minimalist school of thought. I don't see anything about that knife that warrants anything other than a coat of RenWax and never ending love. JMHO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'd have someone replace the whole handle. Finding a piece of bone from a donor knife should be fairly easy to find. That's a great knife. ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

I would also get someone whose work you know to redo that patch D. Of course I wouldn’t let them buff it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I believe the pattern number of your knife is R6393. The reason I am pointing this out is to piggyback on what Keith espn77 said about finding a donor knife / handle. It is a long shot, needle in the haystack type of idea, but on rare occasions a R6393 will show up on eBay with worn out blades and decent handles. So you might want to create an eBay search for Remington R6393 and hope to get lucky again. The reason I said "lucky again" is because of your $10 purchase price for the knife. :)
Attachments
Remington R6393 #3 small.jpg
Remington R6393 #4 small.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

To clear up what I meant. Finding a handle from this exact knife probably be looking for a long time. But any old Remington bone could be shaped to fit it.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

that was my thought at one time, find a donor knife with a large enough frame to make new sleeveboard scales out of but I would assume any reshaping post bone dying will result in a bleached out more natural bone
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I would get the knife repaired with some original bone.It is in otherwise excellent condition.I have had 3 or 4 of those knives in the past,and a couple would have been good donors.Be patient,you will find something suitable. ::tu::
Roger
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

So here’s 2 more cents worth. My thoughts are about originality. You have a great knife with a long and interesting history and the patchwork is part of that history. Someone who loved that knife and valued it took the time to repair it regardless of the quality of the repair craftsmanship. Rich history...but once you break the seal from original production line work you can never again say it’s original. If you want it for personal use you could do as you please to make it what you want as an EDC. If your looking to resale it for profit... once new work has been accomplished it should never be advertised as an original Remington production knife... it won’t be. I like the knife if you want to sell it...I’ll make you a descent offer to keep it in it’s original condition. Regardless these are our opinions and thoughts. You are the owner in this game therefore the shot caller.JMHO ::handshake:: ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-rare ... :rk:1:pf:0

I could see my knife looking nice and shiny like this near mint knife
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Pile Driver wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-rare ... :rk:1:pf:0

Pile Driver, because your knife retains the blade etching it is more desirable than the eBay knife you shared (IMO).
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
Pile Driver wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-rare ... :rk:1:pf:0

Pile Driver, because your knife retains the blade etching it is more desirable than the eBay knife you shared (IMO).
I agree.
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mine. Like yours. I have no desire to change it and I think its better than the Ebay knife. He went get his asking price.
Attachments
20180410_120628.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

If it were mine I'd do some very light minimal cleaning, remove the old patch and re-patch the handle.
Very nice looking knife other than the patch!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

For clarification...
Redoing the patchwork in my opinion does not take away from the production originality... but replacing the scales does because it requires dismantling the knife and replacing specific parts of the knife. This would in my opinion take it out of the category of being an original production line knife.
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

I agree, etch way more important. Lightly clean the handles, oil the joints, wipe it down and display. Great knife. Take care, John
John
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I agree as well, I was being facetious

I'll have to keep searching for a worn out knife with great scales for a good value

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”