What model is this?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Targe

What model is this?

Post by Targe »

I've been told Gentleman's knife and the flat blade is a letter opener, Doctors knife and the flat blade is a fleam, melon tester and the flat blade was for coring, blah blah blah...I did an internet and found some Doctors knives that have the same overall shape but none have the secondary blade made like this one.
20190907_125131.jpg
I think the handles are celluloid.
pearlroosterman

Re: What model is this?

Post by pearlroosterman »

Dr. Knife. The flat blade was used to sort through pills when counting and stirring when mixing up medicines. Imitation ivory handles made of Pyremite. John
John
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Sound assessment. :wink:
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Forgot to mention, the solid flat bolster was designed to crush pills when mixing compounds.
John
Targe

Post by Targe »

Well thank you gents!
clockman

Post by clockman »

Looks like a remington i have. Is there a tang stamp on the other side of knife blade? Randy
clockman

Post by clockman »

also, my remington was a contract knife for mentholatum ointment as it is printed in red on mark side scale
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Like this?
Most mentholatum knives I've seen had green print.
Attachments
20190517_093350.jpg
20190528_200251.jpg
clockman

Post by clockman »

The imprint on my knife has no quotation marks and is red, Also mine has the waterfall scales like your second pic shows and no model number.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That's interesting. Would love to see pictures of it.
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

clockman wrote:The imprint on my knife has no quotation marks and is red, Also mine has the waterfall scales like your second pic shows and no model number.
The waterfall scales are actually mother of pearl rather than the celluloid waterfall or cracked ice material.
clockman

Post by clockman »

Sorry espn77, My mentholatum imprint is green also. I am somewhat colorblind so I had my wife look at it and she said it was green. Knife has imitation ivory scales and no model number. Probably a contract knife. Randy

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”