Remington R1223 Help

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Oilfieldhand

Remington R1223 Help

Post by Oilfieldhand »

I picked up this Remington knife recently and don’t know much about it. Was excited based on the tang stamp but after researching I’ve realized I probably went to deep in it. What I have learned is that I believe it’s from 1933-35 and should be a bone handle knife by the final number in the model stamp. I’ve read varying opinions about the transition to DuPont and whether everything was stamped correctly...etc. That being said this doesn’t match up with examples of Stag from this time frame. It has the glossy look that I see on Case classy stag knives (especially in the blue scroll set) I believe it’s a rehandle job. The pins don’t seem right for the period either. And I don’t know if this shield was used at all in that period...or ever. Hoping some of the Remington guys can help me out.
68973921-EF3D-44A2-B972-C57EBFE83FFB.jpeg
55FC7E7C-3B20-4868-B127-63FD8E07A5DC.jpeg
espn77

Re: Remington R1223 Help

Post by espn77 »

I sure hate that for you. The pattern stamp looks to be cold stamped also. It doesn't have Remington type stag, like you said, more of a case stag look. Hope your not in it to deep, probably be a good user.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Oilfieldhand, I also hate that for you. I can recall mistakes I made. Most all of us have bought knives that were not right. Hang in there.

Harold
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Those blades are not from an original Remington knife. It is either a total fake or fake blades have been put in an old frame. You gotta "read the knife", not the marks. The main blade with it's poor top grinds and ridiculous long pull should be all one needs to know it isn't a "good" knife. Levine's most valuable lesson is his "read the knife, not the story", when one gets adept at reading the knife one will make less errors in purchasing improper knives.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Oilfieldhand wrote:I picked up this Remington knife recently and don’t know much about it. Was excited based on the tang stamp but after researching I’ve realized I probably went to deep in it. What I have learned is that I believe it’s from 1933-35 and should be a bone handle knife by the final number in the model stamp. I’ve read varying opinions about the transition to DuPont and whether everything was stamped correctly...etc. That being said this doesn’t match up with examples of Stag from this time frame. It has the glossy look that I see on Case classy stag knives (especially in the blue scroll set) I believe it’s a rehandle job. The pins don’t seem right for the period either. And I don’t know if this shield was used at all in that period...or ever. Hoping some of the Remington guys can help me out.
68973921-EF3D-44A2-B972-C57EBFE83FFB.jpeg55FC7E7C-3B20-4868-B127-63FD8E07A5DC.jpeg
Oilfieldhand, here is a picture of a R1223 that I believe is correct. One thing I try to do when evaluating knives I'm not familiar with is to search AAPK for the pattern number to see if someone might have posted pictures that I can compare to the knife I might be considering.
Attachments
Remington R1223 Large Cigar #3a small.jpg
Oilfieldhand

Post by Oilfieldhand »

Thanks for all the input guys. Even to the one guy that was patronizing me. Ive been collecting revolvers for 20 years but I’ve been collecting knives for only 5 years or so....and never bought a Remington. I’ve got $40 in this knife so I’m sure I won’t lose on it. Not sure I agree that the tang stamp is fake though. Thanks again gentlemen.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”