It looks like a gasser!

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It looks like a gasser!

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Remington stockman today at the local fleamarket for $2. Looks to me like it is outgassing, and that lump of black stuff is stuck to the handle material. Looks like some kind of "tumor" or something. Maybe the black stuff is something that melted and dripped onto the knife and triggered the outgassing.The rust on the blades follows a line on the part of the blade that would extend above the liners with the blades closed. I will get those handles off tomorrow and rehandle it with something more stable. It should clean up and be presentable with new handle material.
IMG_3132.JPG
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Doc B

Re: It looks like a gasser!

Post by Doc B »

Looks like a nice $2 find ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad you are the one who found it OC. Can't wait to see the pic when you are finished. ::tu:: ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Man, I wish I had the skill & confidence to do work like rehandling on old knives. I know that if I tried it, I would end up with a pile of broken knives I *intended* to fix, plus $300 worth of tools and supplies, and *one* knife where I attempted to do the fix, learned it is a helluva lot harder than it looks, and then gave up and walked away. I have a list of similar outcomes in other hobbies... ::facepalm::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 am Looks like some kind of "tumor" or something.
I wouldn't put that pocket knife in my pocket. ::woot::

Make a happy little Remington out of it, OC. ::nod::
Joe
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 am I have a list of similar outcomes in other hobbies... ::facepalm::
I would probably sing that tune, too .....
If I had the $$ to flitter away on stuff
::facepalm::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I cleaned this one up good, and took an Exaco blade and carefully removed the "tumor" from the handle material. There is no shrinkage, or cracks in the handle material, so I am wondering if it really was outgassing, or if the black material that melted and dripped was what caused the rust. Are Remington knives like this from this era known to outgas? I think I will wait and not rehandle it until I can tell for sure what the problem is.
IMG_3138.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice thoughtful approach OLDE CUTLER.
Maybe the problem is solved.
That is a good looking knife. ::tu::
Joe
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Very common for the lighter colors that are somewhat clear like yours to "blow up" or off gas. I have seen many. The rear scale looks like it is off gassing but the front scale looks mostly ok. Another clue is the discoloration on your nickel silver bolsters. The liners can get eaten away from the off gas also to the point of having cracks and holes. Bad stuff and don't put that knife away with others that you like or have value because they will also suffer rust from the one in the photo off gassing. Red candy stripe Remingtons are very hard to come by because of this problem. Even have a couple in the junk pile of parts knives that I never seem to get around to working on.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Update:
I have had this knife in "isolation" for the past 6 or 7 weeks by putting it into a small zip locked bag and folding the top over after pushing most of the air out of the bag before sealing it. I took it out today and before unsealing the bag, I put my nose right up the the opening as I unzipped the bag. The only thing I detected was the smell of Rem oil that I had put on the joints before sealing it up. Does anyone know if the chemical act of outgassing produces a detectable smell? After I did this I thought "what if there had been outgassing and I inhaled the gas? Maybe not good. I dont think it is outgassing, and the damage to it was caused by the melted glob of whatever that dripped onto the knife. (see photos above).
IMG_3310.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I think it's quite possible this knife had been stored with another knife which was outgassing and the damage you saw was from contamination with the other knife. If so, now that it's cleaned up and away from any other knives it should be fine. On the other hand, if, after a few more weeks you begin to notice discoloration on the bolsters, liners, or blades, you'll know the problem source is your knife.

Eternal vigilance is the price one pays for owning celluloid knives. ::mdm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Further update.
Per the info above, this knife has been observing "social distancing", by being in "quarantine" in a tightly closed bag since my last post in December. I took this one out this morning to check it, and as soon as I looked at it in the sealed bag with a flashlight, I could see rust on the blades. I carefully opened the bag with my nose right up close to check if outgassing produces any detectable smell, and once again all I could smell was Rem oil. But it definitely is outgassing, so those old celluloid scales will have to go. I had all the rust off the blades, polished a little with Flitz polish, and coated in Rem oil, but now it looks just the same as when I first got it. Too bad, I really liked the colored swirls in those Remington celluloid scales. I am thinking ebony, rosewood, or coca bola would look good on this one.

Photos taken this morning, outgassing.
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That's interesting
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

espn77 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am That's interesting
As a Remington collector, have you seen this before? The handle material is tight to the bolsters, no shrinkage or cracks, the material is crystal clear and has not yellowed. But it has started to put rust on the blades again after I had it all cleaned up and oiled. It has been inside a sealed bag for the months since October last. I have only had a couple of other knives with celluloid that was outgassing (none were Remingtons until this one) and the celluloid was very yellow, cracked and shrinking.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Cracked ice and candy stripped Remington knives seem to be the most prone as far as what I've seen. I've always wanted to do exactly what you did. I'm courios did the bad swell as gas was being released?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sealed bag is the wrong way to go IMHO. I can’t think of any examples of off-gassing celluloid items that have been used regularly or stored sitting in open air where it can “breathe” freely. ::shrug:: Celluloid knives or other items. Shrinkage yes sometimes - off-gassing, no.

The gassers I’ve had were all stored in enclosed containers of some type, or in knife rolls in a cabinet or drawer. Before I learned better. I have other celluloid items that are sitting on shelves or table tops, and have been for years without any signs of gassing. Maybe just luck, but that’s my experience.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm sure it is the wrong thing to do, I just always wanted to take one that I knew had a problem and seal it up to see the contained affects of the gas.
I know the modern Remington toothpick with candy stripped handles will gas in any environment
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

espn77 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm Cracked ice and candy stripped Remington knives seem to be the most prone as far as what I've seen. I've always wanted to do exactly what you did. I'm courios did the bad swell as gas was being released?
No evidence of the bag swelling, and as I mentioned no evidence of any odor from inside the bag (except the Rem oil smell).What would you call the color and pattern of celluloid on this knife? I was somewhat surprised that this happened. I thought being in a tightly sealed bag that was folded over to minimize air content and having a coating of Rem oil on all the steel surfaces would help. Note that the rust on the blades now is a light coating that should remove easily. Obviously a longer time frame (than Oct-March) would have been worse.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Green pyremite?
I think putting it in a sealed bag actually sped up the gassing. I have no scientific evidence of that but I think like ken said, if you dont want them to gas fresh air is the most helpful.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was doing this as kind of an experiment. I wondered if the outgassing produced a smell, and went with a bag to contain and try to detect if there was a smell. And also putting Rem oil on the blades to see if that deterred rust from outgassing. It didnt.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”