Parker “OL Remington”?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
CampbellAr2

Parker “OL Remington”?

Post by CampbellAr2 »

NEWBY question again...I got a ton of them!

I see these Parker knives come up occasionally as I search for Remingtons. Not seeing much data out there in the Parker or Remington forums, or the internet as a whole

Are these an actual licensed product from Remington?

Thanks
Ed
Attachments
A6E3277F-3753-404B-8193-D0134490C0DD.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Parker “OL Remington”?

Post by Gunsil »

Not licensed by Remington. Parker was a scammer who used many other company names on knives without permission and was sued by the owners of the Marbles trademark at the time since it was still owned by others. Just putting Ole Remington on a blade etch likely doesn't infringe on Remington's name so it was an easy dodge.
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Many thanks!
Looks like a nice Japanese knife...just trying to focus on learning about what I can ( and buying) Remingtons for now

Ed
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Not sure if you knew Jim Parker or not, I did . Jim did make some enemies along the way but when you look at the positives he added to our hobby of knife collecting it’s hard for me to be extremely critical . Not sure that any one man did anywhere close for knife collecting than Jim. When I think of when I started collecting as an 8 year old boy in 1967 and Jim Parker was willing to take my calls and discuss knives with me when I knew very little and certainly had no money to buy much of anything. As any man he had his short comings but a “ scammer” is not the way I would ever describe him.... innovator and a point of knowledge would be more like it. Certainly everyone has his or her own right to describe someone and I respect that but when the subject has been dead for 13 years and can’t defend himself it a little tougher to take. Just my opinion of a man who was usually very helpful over the years. John
John
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

CampbellAr2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:32 am Not seeing much data out there in the Parker or Remington forums, or the internet as a whole. Are these an actual licensed product from Remington?
As others have mentioned, the tie to the official Remington brand is not there for the knife you asked about. My "hunch" is that the knife you asked about was paying homage to the R6816 lock back whittler, which is a very rare and highly collectible knife. See picture below - not my knife and not my picture (I wish :) ). The knife you asked about is certainly not and identical match, but shares some similarities (lock back whittler).
Attachments
Photo Credit Jim Sargent
Photo Credit Jim Sargent
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Pearlrooster, a man is known by the way he treats people. I know others who still think of him in a positive manner. BUT that rascal took my good money and sold me knives that were not as advertised and would not take them back. They were supposed to Schrade Walden peachseed bone knives but when they arrived they were Schrade Walden peachseed rough black. He burned a few of my friends too, his word was worth dirt since he always advertised he would take back a knife at full refund if there was a problem. He bought Case and basically looted the company and left it worse off than it had been and he foisted many German made fakes of famous American brands off on the public. Maybe he started out as a good guy and greed got to him later, I don't know. All I know for sure is that that man burned me for several hundred dollars of my hard earned money and that was back when it was almost a week's pay. A man is known by the way he treats people.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

I understand your feelings if he treated you unfairly in a couple of deals. I would probably feel the same way. I guess I was lucky, always received what I bought. Too bad you were treated that way. All in all our hobby is much better off for Jim Parker, Bruce Voyles, Jim Sargent and many others having been there and made it what we have enjoyed for the past 50 plus years. Take care, John
John
Lostvalley

Post by Lostvalley »

Nice discussion guys
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Research how and why Mr. Parker left the Presidency of the NKCA.
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”