Remington RS4783?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Byrd

Remington RS4783?

Post by Byrd »

Here's what I assume is a Remington RS 4783 that I picked up at an estate sale for $20. The bone is intact and it's missing the bale but the blades are full. The Scout emblem is worn smooth. I cleaned it with a pencil to get the active rust off. Should I go any further? I don't think I got hurt for $20.
Attachments
20200815_123641_HDR.jpg
20200815_123714_HDR.jpg
20200815_123719_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Remington RS4783?

Post by Reverand »

Just my opinion:
1) Yes, you got a good deal!
2). I wouldn't do anything more than oil the joints. Other people love them buffed-n-polished (and I will do that on a repaired knife, sometimes), but to me these Honest Old Knives look perfect just like they are. It is old, it is used, and it looks right that way!
3) That is a beautiful knife! Great score!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Byrd wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm Here's what I assume is a Remington RS 4783 that I picked up at an estate sale for $20. The bone is intact and it's missing the bale but the blades are full. The Scout emblem is worn smooth. I cleaned it with a pencil to get the active rust off. Should I go any further? I don't think I got hurt for $20.
Nice old knife

Harold
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Reverand wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm Just my opinion:
1) Yes, you got a good deal!
2). I wouldn't do anything more than oil the joints. Other people love them buffed-n-polished (and I will do that on a repaired knife, sometimes), but to me these Honest Old Knives look perfect just like they are. It is old, it is used, and it looks right that way!
3) That is a beautiful knife! Great score!
Would a replacement bail hurt the value?
It's a great old knife! ::tu::
Tim
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking old Rem. I wouldn't think replacing a bail would affect the value, as long as it was done correctly with a Remington bail. Just my 2¢.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Appreciate you input gentleman. I'll not clean it any further to preserve it's heritage. I would like to replace the bail if I can find one. This was a big find for me. The hunting has been poor the last few months with everything shut down!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”