Remington UMC R282

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
eemorse

Remington UMC R282

Post by eemorse »

Hi all - this knife was my dad's and he had a tag on it that said "Remington UMC R282" and "Rare". I've tried to research this knife elsewhere and haven't had much luck. My question is, is it really rare? and what would be the insurance value if it is? Thank you!
Attachments
Overall.jpg
Closeup1.jpg
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington UMC R282

Post by knifegnome »

Remington made knives from 1920 to about 1940 , UMC stands for Union Metallic Cartridge ,R282 is a small Trapper 3 3/4" long with Black composition handles.The blades have a good amount of wear so the monetary value is not high. you can check on ebay under advanced sales and completed listing to see what they have sold for, my opinion would be $50 range, not worth insuring.The value is the sentimental value that it was your Dads knife ,and I would carry and use it.
eemorse

Post by eemorse »

Thank you very much for the info. Now I won’t be afraid to use it! lol
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The R282 also came with wood handles. I'd think your knife would bring close to $100. They aren't seen very often. I have one. Its worth between $400-$500. Depending on the buyer and seller.
Attachments
20190720_202046.jpg
eemorse

Post by eemorse »

Thank you espn77. Mine does appear to have wood handles. I found one that sold in 2012 for $80 and that one had a chip on one of the blades! Yours is a beauty

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”