Remington/Mikota adverting half whittler knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
raincrowe

Remington/Mikota adverting half whittler knife

Post by raincrowe »

I would like to feature a knife I owned for some time...I'm just getting around to research the knife and found some interesting information:
First of all the knife is a half whittler or dogleg.. approx. three & quarter inches long.. appears to have waterfall handles with adverting
on both handles... The larger blade has circle Remington UMC made in USA... backside R7475 ...
the smaller blade Circle Remington UMC with no USA... therefore I believe the knife to be a transition made in about 1924-1925
The knife seems to be in excellent condition for a knife approx. 95 years old...This knife has been sharpened and used...
A small pin hole is located on the back... (looks like someone put a hot pin checking for ivory)....
The front handle is marked.." Mikota"....backside... F.W Stock & Sons...Hilldale Mich
I found that Mikota was flour...F.W. was a miller in Hilldale Mich... I found this company was involved in a legal battle over
Mikota flour in.... Nov 18,1912- Jan 29 1913 also I found a picture of the mill
I would like more information on this all information welcome!! ::tu::

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/213/213mass449.html

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/98868154297333578/
Attachments
IMG_1120 (2).JPG
IMG_1123 (2).JPG
IMG_1121 (2).JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1125 (2).JPG
espn77

Re: Remington/Mikota adverting half whittler knife

Post by espn77 »

Cool little knife, that pattern isn't seen very often. Most small pen blades wont have the "made is usa" outside of the circle. The tang is to small. Only the master blade is an indicator of age.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks I didn't know about the blade although it makes sense ...the age of the knife is between 1924-1933...
Do you have any idea of value?... I know it's been used and some previous owner abused it with a pin
When I looked up the word... Mikota.... that's when I found the legal court case and that Mikota was a brand of flour
and company name other side!
Anyway its one neat little knife and tells an interesting story... although the court case was about 10-15 years earlier how long were they in business... Could the knife have been given away as a premium with a certain amount of flour? Thanks again
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Great knife! Love those Remington advertising knives!! John
John
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'd think at auction your knife would bring $40-$60
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »