Is This A 100 Year Old Remington?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is This A 100 Year Old Remington?

Post by KLJ77 »

This is just one knife out of the lot of knives I got from an online estate auction last week.

Remington R6434, MOP handles. Sadly, one side of the MOP scales has a crack in the middle. I know nothing about Remington knives, so all I can do is yield to the experts on this. The only thing I found was the 'Remington UMC' stamp inside a circle, which indicated a 1921 - 1924 era knife. ::shrug::

Appreciate any insight...a search on the net provided zilch.
Attachments
S20210217_002.jpg
S20210217_001.jpg
S20210217_003.jpg
S20210217_004.jpg
DSCF3577.JPG
DSCF3574.JPG
DSCF3575.JPG
DSCF3585.JPG
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is This A 100 Year Old Remington?

Post by btrwtr »

Close to 100 years old. Knife looks correct but handle crack hurts.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is This A 100 Year Old Remington?

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Wayne for your input / insight. Yeah, the crack is not good, but it's a clean break, no chips. I suspect it was dropped at one time and caused the break. My photos don't really do the looks of this knife justice...I over exposed the lighting. The larger blade has decent snap, but the smaller pen blade very slight. It's in pretty decent shape for its age. It may have had a bail attached at one time. ::shrug::

As a side note: I don't really have a desire for this knife...not because of the crack in the MOP, but I'd rather see an avid Remington collector add it to their collection where it would be appreciated more than I could provide. I have no idea what this knife is worth in its present condition, but if anyone is interested, they can PM me and make a fair offer. We can work out the details from there. I'll give it a week to see if anyone is interested.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”