What is this?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Waxpad

What is this?

Post by Waxpad »

I found this Remington the other day whilst scrounging around in some old stuff. All I can find is the tang stamp is Remington UMC.
Anyone have any idea when this knife may have been made. It’s got brass scales, blade about 1.75” or such.
59401BF4-CA46-4824-9A83-D0CA7A0ADBF5.jpeg
cody6268

Re: What is this?

Post by cody6268 »

Japan, '70s or '80s I think. Could swear Parker was involved with these. I know there were several assorted figural knives with Remington stamps that didn't make sense; usually designs copied from European makers.
Waxpad

Post by Waxpad »

That makes sense for the age of it. I found this in some stuff from that era. Thought it sorta interesting looking.
Thanks for the information!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Very interesting. First I've seen like or similar to that. Thanks for showing it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve seen those before, occasionally one shows up on eBay. They’re not an original Remington nor to my knowledge are they an authorized reproduction. Sorta like the fake Remington leg knives except in that case Remington did make some originals.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Parker was involved in the Japan, or any Remington fake knives?
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Keith, you are correct. Jim did have many knives made in Japan but none were stamped Remington. John
John

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”