Opinion on Small Pen Knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
BigMatt

Opinion on Small Pen Knife

Post by BigMatt »

I recently bought a collection of Case knives from an estate and in it were some others like Boker, Buck, and Imperial.

There was also a small Remington pen knife I didn't think much of until I started researching it. It looks like it is from between 1924 and 1933 by the tang stamp. There is no shield on the scale and no numbers on the tang.

I am looking for a model and value of the knife. It appears to be in mint condition with no evidence of being carried or sharpened.

Interested in what you guys think...

https://imgur.com/a/pyI4JG1
cody6268

Re: Opinion on Small Pen Knife

Post by cody6268 »

This is one of the reproductions, likely from the 1990s or 2000s. This one was made by Bear and Son.

Value--about $15-20 if that.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I concur ... Bear and Son repro 100%
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
BigMatt

Post by BigMatt »

Damn, I thought I had something...

How are you supposed to know if it is a reproduction if it isn't marked?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

BigMatt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:18 pm Damn, I thought I had something...

If it has delrin handle material, that didn't come along until about 1960. None of the old Remingtons had that.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

BigMatt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:18 pm Damn, I thought I had something...

Welcome to the world of pocket knives! You have to study knives, learn what materials and other characteristics are typical of or exclusive to what timeframes, etc. And if you narrow it down to specific companies, what patterns were made when and sometimes by whom. Among collectors this is called “reading” the knife. Tang stamps are just one, often over relied upon aspect of reading a knife. Unfortunately too many rely solely on the tang stamp and tang stamp date charts.

In the case of your knife, a Remington, the company sold their cutlery business including the factory in 1939. However reproductions, both authorized and unauthorized, continue to be made even now. As pointed out the knife you have has Delrin handle covers. Delrin wasn’t invented until 1958 and began being used for pocket knife handles in the 1960s. Therefore your knife could not have been made prior to 1960. Now it becomes a matter of knowing the history of the brand. Remington reproductions made by Bear & Son are fairly recent, within the last few years. Some other reproductions such as those made by Camillus have the year of manufacture stamped on one of the blades, making it more obvious that it’s a reproduction.

Some people say “sheesh, I’ll never learn that and don’t care to.” Others of us find learning it fascinating. If you’re one of the latter folks, this forum is a great place to research and learn. There are also many good reference books.

Hope that helps. I understand your frustration but hope you’ll be interested to learn more, especially if you plan to sell knives. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”