Rescaled Camillus Bullets?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
cody6268

Rescaled Camillus Bullets?

Post by cody6268 »

I was thinking about having some of the (usually rather affordable) Camillus-made Bullet Trappers rescaled to look more like the higher-end GEC 23s and this year's Bullet, going from the Delrin most are found with to having some done up in other materials.

Anyone here ever rescaled one? I'm currently looking for some ideas.
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Rescaled Camillus Bullets?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Have you looked at the real silver bullet Camillus jumbo trapper? Their jigged brown bone looks good to me. Offhand I do not recall their pre-WW-II Remington number but I call Camillus' and other brands' GEC 23 pattern trappers jumbo trappers. Camillus also made many of their Bullet series knife patterns in smaller production runs with other bone side covers. I have the daddy Barlow with smooth green bone and a mother of pearl bullet. Some had smooth black bone.

While some GEC bone looks great, some of their bone is less spectacular. I would not trade the smooth ebony on one of the most common and least expensive Camillus jumbo trappers for any GEC plastic. There is also the question of blade polish. Camillus seldom polished bright like Northfields. Were I so inclined, I'd have the blades polished bright, file the notch between the rear of the edge and the tang that Camillus was always too cheap to include, and rehandle to stag. You can never have too much stag. However, what I'd actually do is shop for a Queen made jumbo trapper that was built that way.

Editing in a couple of thoughts: First, Camillus made most of their Bullet series knives with their standard 1095 blade steel and pinkish red Delrin that showed yellow where the red was hafted away. I think that series included jumbo trappers. The less than hansom Delrin is likely the reason they usually sell for less at auction. Few would weep over the destruction of those side covers and 1095 takes a good polish. 1095 also works well for me for daily use. Second, under their Schatt & Morgan brand Queen made bone sided jumbo trappers with bright polished ATS-34 blades. They're arguably better than GEC 23s.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”