ID Help

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
brehm3

ID Help

Post by brehm3 »

I am going through my father's knife collection and came across this one. I have not been able to identify it. It has the circle tang stamp and has "solingen germany" printed on the blade. If you know, please let me know.
IMG_7844.jpeg
IMG_7843.jpeg
IMG_7842.jpeg
Suredan

Re: ID Help

Post by Suredan »

It’s a Remington made in Germany.
brehm3

Post by brehm3 »

Thank you. Any idea of the year that this would have been produced?
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Maybe 1960s? I think that is a very nice knife especially if it has bone scales. I saw one once on eBay that the seller was asking close to $200.00 if I remember correctly. I don’t know if it actually sold for that.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

Not sure who made those Remington contract knives in Germany but the ones I have seen are good quality users. I believe most of the German Remington contract knives were made in the 80’s.
John
brehm3

Post by brehm3 »

Thank you both for the insights on the knife. Yes, it does appear to be of very high quality and I hope it is worth a few $$ !

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”