tang stamp

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
timdog44

tang stamp

Post by timdog44 »

I bought this knife at auction. It looks to me to be a very nice older Remington. I go by the tang stamp charts I see posted. The stamp on this knife (see the photos) is a a circle around Remington UMC. And on the outside of the circle is Made In. USA. The charts would indicate about 1924-1933. I have been told that it is not old and was made in the 1990s because stainless steel and Delrin were not around then. Are the charts wrong or were there newer knives made with the older stamps or is this not SS or not Delrin? Please help.
Attachments
IMG_5921.JPG
IMG_5920.JPG
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5923.JPG
cody6268

Re: tang stamp

Post by cody6268 »

I believe these were made in the '90s, and originally given away with large boxes of .22 ammo.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Timdog if you're looking at a knife and trying to determine if it's a vintage one it's best if you read the knife first instead of relying on the tang stamp alone. Anything with delrin rejects it immediately as that didn't come around in large quantities on knives until around 1960. The lack of handle pins also disqualifies it as all the old manufacturers used handle pins near the bolsters and caps on their knives with very few exceptions. The one you have pictured has handles that were apparently glued on. On American knives the bolster pins are also a tell. American manufacturers used pins that matched the bolster material; nickel silver pins with nickel silver bolsters, steel pins for steel bolsters. It appears from the photo that the bolster pin is stainless in nickel silver bolsters. At least to my eye, I could be wrong on that. If everything checks off and you finally get to the tang stamp, make sure there aren't any discrepancies in the lettering and layout. The old Remington stamp from the era you mentioned had serifs (the little feet) on the MADE IN U.S.A letters, the letters in the pictured knife have no serifs (sans serif).

Eric
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

I think that because of the lack of pins near the bolsters that the knife was made by Bear and Sons. They started around 1990. The lack of pins near the bolsters was a standard practice of theirs at one point and maybe still is. If the knife was an older pattern made by Remington themselves it surely would of had all three pins in place.

Russell
timdog44

Post by timdog44 »

Thank you much for your input. I have a new perspective and have learned and relearned from your information

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”