Possibly a phantom Remington GS knife?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Arkar
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Possibly a phantom Remington GS knife?

Post by Arkar »

I was asked by a lady thats associated with the Girl Scouts to help locate a knife she once had but lost. She told me there was no info she could dig up except some stuff from a 1940 GS catalog. Well obviously that was above my knowledge base so I contacted a very knowledgeable person. Expert. Author. Who’s a member on this forum. He advised me to ask in this forum. I’ll let him jump in and give his name if he chooses. I’m sure most know who I’m talking about. Here’s the story. She said the knife she lucked into quite a few years ago and was able to win at auction. And somewhere along the line lost it but would very much like to find another. She send me pics from an old 1940 GS Catalog and I dug into a little research that blew my mind.
But she was correct when she told me the maker was unknown.

It looks to be a Congress 2 blade pin knife. There was GS etching on both blades. But no shield or stamps on the tang whatsoever
It was an 11-308 model and it replaced I believe the 11-316.
And no I’m not familiar with these model numbers but the gentleman from in here was with one I believe. It made the scene in 1940. And sometime in 1942 totally disappeared.
I was a little skeptical but found what she said was true.
The gentleman from in here messaged me back a couple of times. He was quite fascinated himself I believe. And the last time he did he said he would almost guess Remington made it. They were bought out I believe around that time as I was reminded by Pal. And due to slow changes in catalogs and information back then it was just tossed in the dark.
I had another thought afterward. I wonder after the sale to Pal they maybe continued manufacturing some with remaining stock and tooling. But we’re not allowed to stamp their name or place any shield or other identifiers?
Now thats just off the top of my head.
Have any of you folks ever heard about a knife like this? I’ll post a couple of pics she provided me.
They called it a Girl Scout crafting knife.
Any info would be appreciated. If nothing else I’d like to get some information on this for her. And you folks will know much more than me. And the reccomendation and reason this gentleman gave me makes so much sense.
Thanks in advance. I may not be able to respond quickly but I most certainly will. Pics attached and thanks in advance.
207D6AEA-A2DA-4302-BF2B-A892C3176117.png
2598E70E-2AE7-4E99-AECE-176693236E52.png
ScoutKnives

Re: Possibly a phantom Remington GS knife?

Post by ScoutKnives »

Took me a long time to find this one , 30+ years , thought I was chasing a unicorn :lol:
Master blade is etched Girl Scouts , hard to see in the pictures .
Definitely a Remington 2 blade Congress .
The time line puts it in the Pal era but it’s stamped Remington .
Mike
Attachments
AABF491A-A212-416F-B5B6-EBFE43E5578D.jpeg
A19658D9-B6C6-4411-A9AE-CEC0D5103EDC.png
94C258FD-EF76-4668-BC74-3328548A137D.jpeg
172B0E2A-2AEF-4D40-AFC8-CB48C8C4DF84.jpeg
4B9DCBD1-8894-460C-BA75-268394B4B0AF.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Arkar
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Arkar »

Well son of a gun. I’m about to come unglued right now because I really didn’t want to report all dead ends to the lady.
And my, well I’ll say now, Steve was correct in his thoughts.
I’m going to have to take some screenshots and report this to her.
What gets me is. Everything I ran into myself, was exactly like she said. Nothing stamped on it but I’m thinking maybe she wasn’t considering the stamps and was only remembering there was no shield. Just etching on the blades.
I thank you for this. It’s unreal. And at least I can tell her they DO exist and the ‘unknown maker’ is Remington, well probably Pal ?Since Pal used up some of Remingtons already made parts that would make sense and why it was so ‘unknown’ I’ll bet some used the existing Remington blades. And the others were made by Pal from scratch and not stamped because maybe they were just finishing the ones needed as they knew they were dropping in ‘42.
Awesome thanks. Steve was correct. And what a great place here.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

One of my favorite Remington knifes.not a Girl Scout knife but looks to be built on the same body frame .
Remington. R6103. (1924-33)
Remington. R6103. (1924-33)

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”