Todays scripture...

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Todays scripture...

Post by Meridian_Mike »

God is our strength and our fortress!

I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18: 1-2
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen brother!

Ephesians 2: 19-22
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sorry brothers and friends for no update this last bit. I've been busy of late, middle of grinding oats on the farm.

Bless the Lord for a bountiful harvest! Especially since so many other farmers are suffering this year...
I don't understand why the Lord chooses to do what He does, all I can do is thank Him daily.

Very good scripture for today, Titus Chapter 2.

"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: that the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

A very good passage Willy!

Thanks for posting!!

Good luck with your oats! May God's mercy abound!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back brothers!
Finally back after a few months of up's and down's, a real roller-coaster of this-and-that. Finally calming down a bit, settling in for a long winter.

I have really missed sharing scripture, thoughts, brothers. I've been letting too much of "not important" stuff, intrude on my daily walk with Him.

I apologize, and repent for my backsliding Lord! By your will Lord, I continue back on the path you want for me, Amen. ::pray::

Been following along with R.C.Sproul this past week; most excellent, biblically sound teaching. Him, along with John Macarthur, Vodie Baucham, a few others, are the Spurgeon's of are day.

Study for today,

Jesus Is Arrested

Matthew 26:47–56 “Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled?” (vv. 53–54).

One of the best ways to understand biblical doctrine is to study how the same word in the original biblical languages unites two concepts. As an example, look at the relationship between the coming of the kingdom of God and the death and resurrection of Jesus. When our Savior announces the nearness of the kingdom of heaven, the Greek verb engizein (“to be at hand”) is used (Matt. 4:17). The same form is used in Matthew 26:46 to describe our Lord’s imminent betrayal and the whole complex of events surrounding His crucifixion and rising from the dead. God’s kingdom and Jesus’ death both draw near — one is impossible without the other. The teaching ministry of Jesus and the events of redemptive history that precede His incarnation are important, but the kingdom of heaven comes decisively when the Messiah atones for sin, is resurrected, and ascends to the Father.

Christ has this unity of His victory on the cross and the kingdom’s coming in view implicitly when He speaks of His arrest as the fulfillment of “the Scriptures of the prophets” (26:54, 56). This is a reference to the general thrust of the Old Testament, which says the new creation cannot come unless and until God’s perfect servant suffers to effect the holiness of His people (Deut. 30:1–10; Ps. 22; Isa. 53–66; Dan. 9:24–27). Our Lord is following His Father’s plan (Matt. 26:54), and men like Peter are wrong to view what is happening as something outside of God’s control (vv. 51–52; see John 18:10–11). These events are not unexpected and Christ is not taken against His will. He has the armies of heaven at His disposal, but He does not call for their aid (Matt. 26:53), proving that no one needs to coerce Him into laying down His life.

Sadly, Jesus is handed over to His captors by one who should love Him (vv. 47–50). Worse still, even those who are more faithful friends of the Savior abandon Him in this hour of need (v. 56). Jesus now faces execution alone, a solitude that He will experience to its fullest and most painful extent when His Father forsakes Him on the cross (27:46). Matthew Henry comments, “Christ, as the Savior of souls, stood thus alone. He bore all, and did all himself.”

Coram deo: Living before the face of God

Christians know that we need to be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within us, but sometimes we have “defended” Christ improperly. Sometimes, like Peter in today’s passage, we have pursued aggressive violence. Other times we have bent over backwards to show the world that Christians are not “oddballs” but are “with it” in their embrace of the culture. May we not repeat these errors as we proclaim Jesus to a fallen creation.

For further study:

Psalm 89

The Bible in a year:

Ezekiel 35–36
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Jesus on Trial

Matthew 26:57–63A “Now the chief priests and the whole Council were seeking false testimony against Jesus that they might put him to death” (v. 59).

In some ways Jesus can be seen as the victim of what is taking place during Passover week, yet we also get the sense that He is in control of all that is happening. For example, He has remained cool, calm, and collected during His stay in Jerusalem, teaching openly in the temple courts, unafraid of those who hate Him (Matt. 21:23–23:39). His enemies, however, behave as if they might suddenly lose their grip on events. They meet secretly to plot Jesus’ death because they do not want to incite a riot (26:1–5), and they are similarly motivated to arrest Him in the dark (vv. 20, 47). This reveals their cowardice, not our Lord’s guilt, which is the point of Matthew 26:55. If Jesus were guilty, the Sanhedrin would have no qualms about taking Him prisoner in broad daylight; His innocence and their fear of the people makes it necessary to seize Him at night.

Our Savior’s trial is the greatest miscarriage of justice ever committed. Matthew makes this plain, stating that the council seeks “false testimony” (v. 59). Whatever they feel about their actions — and they likely believe themselves to be doing God’s will — Caiaphas and his cohorts only want evidence against Jesus. They couldn’t care less about the truth and are probably frustrated in their inability to build a case against Him (vv. 59–60a). Even as this chaos surrounds Him, our Lord remains in control, refusing to answer the false charges (vv. 62–63a). This, John Calvin writes, fulfills His purposes. Christ is silent “not only because the objection [is] frivolous, but because, having been appointed to be a sacrifice, he [has] thrown aside all anxiety about defending himself.”

Finally, the Sanhedrin charges Him based on His claim to be able to destroy the temple and rebuild it (v. 61). Even this testimony perverts our Lord’s words; He said the temple of His body would be restored (that is, resurrected) should others crush Him (John 2:18–22), not that He is about to destroy the temple building. Still, falsely placing this threat on Jesus’ lips serves the Sanhedrin’s intent. Desecrating sacred places in their day can be a capital crime, and Rome would want to avoid the public upheaval that would occur were Christ to carry out a threat that, unbeknownst to the Empire, He never made to begin with.

Zephaniah 3:5 assures us that the Lord is perfectly righteous and therefore incapable of any injustice. We must therefore, unlike the Sanhedrin in Jesus’ day, learn to hate injustice and to do whatever we can to make sure that justice is done in our culture. Some of the ways this can be done is to refuse to give false testimony or listen to gossip, and to choose righteous leaders who will promote justice both in our churches and in our cultural institutions.

For further study: Deuteronomy 5:20, Ezekiel 37–38
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

The Rock Fails His Master

Matthew 26:69–75 “Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, ‘Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.’ And he went out and wept bitterly” (v. 75).

Apparently, one reason Caiaphas and the other priests and elders become incensed during the trial of Jesus is His pledge that even they will one day recognize Him, whom they now deny, as Messiah. This seems to be one of our Lord’s points in Matthew 26:64. His promise that the Sanhedrin will see Him on the clouds likely alludes to several things, including Jerusalem’s destruction in AD 70 and Jesus’ being seated at the right hand of the Father (the session of Christ). Moreover, Daniel 7:13–14, wherein the Son of Man judges creation, is clearly being echoed. Jesus is saying that the Jewish leaders who judge Him will one day be judged by Him. They cannot take this role reversal, and so they spit on Him at the close of their trial (Matt. 26:67–68).

As the trial of our Savior winds down, the “trial” of another is beginning. Peter’s actions at this moment are under Matthew’s spotlight in today’s passage, and we note that he, unlike the rest of the disciples, at least has continued to follow the Lord at a distance (vv. 56, 58). Matthew Henry notes that this does not bode well for the one whom Jesus once called His rock (16:13–20): “To follow [Christ] afar off, is by little and little to go back from him.” Peter’s hearing before the servants in the courtyard manifests the truth of this observation.

Peter faces the testimony of three observers just like Jesus did (Caiaphas, two witnesses; vv. 57–64, 69–74), but that is where the similarity of the two trials ends. Christ continues to affirm the truth throughout His hearing before powerful and influential men; Peter denies it before female servants, people of low status in that culture. Ultimately, Peter fulfills Jesus’ prediction and denies his Lord three times because he has relied on his own power, not on the Spirit of God, proving, John Calvin says, that any man “who is not supported by the hand of God, will instantly fall by a slight gale or the rustling of a falling leaf.”

Yet hope remains for Peter. Though he has sinned greatly, his tears (v. 75) and later restoration (John 21:15–19) show a repentant heart. No matter the depth of our sin, while we draw breath it is never too late to return to the Lord. He mercifully forgives all, without exception, who mourn their transgressions.

John Calvin says Peter’s rash vow to remain with the Lord (Matt. 26:33) and subsequent failure encourage us not to rely on our own weakness, but to earnestly rely on the Spirit. It is easy to say that we will never deny the Lord. But our flesh is weak, and we should not think ourselves strong apart from the strength He alone can give us. We have all denied Him in some way; let us therefore lean on His Spirit that we may never do so again.

For further study: Jonah 1:1–3:5, Ezekiel 42–46
Winston Churchill

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that encouraging message Willy!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you brother! It's my pleasure, ::handshake::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

James 1:4
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Psalm 136

O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good:
for his mercy endureth for ever.

O give thanks unto the God of gods:

O give thanks to the Lord of lords:

To him who alone doeth great wonders:

To him that by wisdom made the heavens:

To him that stretched out the earth above the waters:

To him that made great lights:
for his mercy endureth for ever:

the sun to rule by day:

the moon and stars to rule by night:

To him that smote Egypt in their firstborn:

and brought out Israel from among them:

with a strong hand, and with a stretched out arm:

To him which divided the Red sea into parts:

and made Israel to pass through the midst of it:

but overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea:

To him which led his people through the wilderness:

To him which smote great kings:

and slew famous kings:

Sihon king of the Amorites:

and Og the king of Bashan:

and gave their land for an heritage:

even an heritage unto Israel his servant:

Who remembered us in our low estate:

and hath redeemed us from our enemies:

Who giveth food to all flesh:

O give thanks unto the God of heaven:

Amen!
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

2 Peter 3:10-11
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Amen, we ain't alone in this brethren! The God promises to be with us, work with us, hold us up; while we travel on life's journey.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Domesticating Jesus

Luke 4:16–30 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…to proclaim good news to the poor. …to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor” (vv. 18–19).

Even those who have not formally studied the doctrine of Christ have constructed some kind of Christology. Many Americans think Jesus came to give them a “better life” in the here and now and to help them make friends and win influence. Others say Jesus would join movements to protect and conserve the earth’s resources or engage in other “environmentally-friendly” practices. Innumerable people understand Jesus to be the supreme ethical teacher who is concerned with accepting all into His kingdom even if they never repent of sin.

Friendship, the stewardship of creation, and the love of others are all praised in Scripture (Gen. 1:28; Prov. 17:17; 1 John 3:16); however, reducing the purpose and teaching of our Lord to any of these things ends up domesticating Him. A domesticated Jesus embraces the culture’s values without challenging them; He is a “safe” Jesus who is no threat to the established way of doing things.

Yet Christ did not come into the world to be “nice” or “safe,” and the Jesus we find in the Gospels cannot be domesticated. He brings a salvation that turns our values upside-down. Instead of the proud and arrogant, He exalts those of humble estate (Luke 1:52). Christ’s coming produces peace among His people, but it also sets the fallen world against His own (4:16–30). The scandal of the cross brings with it the promise of a final, cosmic redemption that will include all who believe. At the same time it becomes a stumbling block to unrepentant Jews and foolishness to hardened Gentiles (1 Cor. 1:18–31).

Though we know these truths, we also run the risk of domesticating Jesus, albeit in a different way. Often we limit His work to giving us a clean heart so that we may live forever in heaven. Certainly, our Savior is concerned with individual redemption, and only individuals who put their faith in Christ alone will be saved, But individual redemption is only part of His intent to redeem all creation. Our Lord’s full purpose is to bring a new heavens and earth in which we will dwell with Him forever (Isa. 65:17–25; 2 Peter 3:13). A Christology that does not take into account the reality of future, resurrected life and the renewal of all things is one that is severely lacking.

The Christian faith does not believe in an ethereal kind of salvation that only encompasses a world we cannot see. Instead, because God created everything good and because He purposes to redeem His creation, we know that the final redemption He brings will encompass all things. We are therefore concerned to be good stewards of the earth, not because we worship nature, but because they are gifts of God that will one day be restored to their fullness.

For further study: Isaiah 25
Winston Churchill

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for posting Willy!

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

My pleasure brother!
It really is my pleasure, to share scripture & commentary with y'all. I love to serve the Lord, this is the stick He has given me right now.
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

::pray::
Winston Churchill

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very timely scripture Willy!

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

John 6:35
And Jesus said unto them, I am that bread of life: he that cometh to me, shall not hunger, and he that believeth in me, shall never thirst.
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Charity

1 Corinthians 13

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
Winston Churchill

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Beautiful words from our Lord!

Thanks Willy.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You are most welcome brother!
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

John 14
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”