Prayer Request For My Mom

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Prayer Request For My Mom

Post by orvet »

I would appreciate prayer for my mother, Kathryn. She is 88 years old and the battle she has fought against cancer for the last several years seems to be drawing to a close. She and dad have been married 68 years, 69 years if she makes it to June. She decided against chemotherapy because the last round and made her so sick.
My brother and his wife are taking care of mom and helping dad. My wife and I are going down there this next week to help give my brother and his wife a break.

My parents both Christians, they have no fear of death, they know where they’re going and it is a far better place than here.
I think dad probably fears being alone without mom and I’m afraid he just might give up living.

I would appreciate your prayers for comfort for mom, she is dealing with some serious pain and comfort for my dad, Don. I suppose it’s daunting to think about being without your spouse of almost 70 years! I think the reason they both have lived this long is because each one stayed alive to take care of the other. Mom saw to it that dad eat right and got the right medicine for his diabetes and heart, and dad did everything he could to help mom.

Thanks for your prayers,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Landersknives

Re: Prayer Request For My Mom

Post by Landersknives »

Your whole family will be in my prayers my friend. Special prayers for your mother, father, you & your siblings. May God grant your family with all the blessings that you guys are needing at this time.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Dale,
I will pray for your mom and dad, Kathryn and Don. ‘‘Tis grace that brought them safe thus far, and grace will lead them home.
Chemo is such a hard thing to see loved ones endure. I know can only imagine how it feels when it is your own mother. I have watched many friends and fellow church members go through the treatments of cancer. It is never easy on anyone.
Prayers for all of your family, especially mom and dad, during these days.

Tony
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

Prayers will be said. God Bless.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Of course we will remember your precious family in our prayers Dale. Always a difficult time when you see the ones who loved you suffering. Our Lord knew something of suffering, may He comfort you all at this time.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Prayers to you Dale and all your family tonight. Sometimes you wonder why the Lord sometimes
makes us suffer and sad. He must have a plan because He loves us.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I will certainly pray for them both Dale, and for you and the rest of your family also. It's not an easy time.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dale I'll be keeping your mom, dad, and the rest of the family including you in my prayers. May God lead and guide each of you through this passage and give you the comfort, strength, and peace you need.

Has your mother sought help from hospice care ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale,
Miss Joy and I will pray for comfort, grace and mercy for all the Vincent clan during this difficult time.
Philip

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you so much guys for all your prayers and your kind words, they are very healing for me.

I think I was not too clear when I posted this, but mom has elected not to have chemo. A lot of the pain and confusion she is experiencing now is due to the thickening of her blood. I am told this is a side effect of the leukemia.
philco wrote:
Has your mother sought help from hospice care ?
Mom is under Hospice care. When she started it they thought it would be long-term hospice care. My brother read some of the literature they left him describing the disease process and what they might expect over the next few months. He told me mom declined 4 months (per their literature) in just last week. So we aren’t sure exactly what the timetable is. It may be slow and it may be mercifully fast, that’s in the Lords hands now.

A few months ago when mother was feeling much better we had a discussion about when her mother (my grandmother) passed away. Grandma was in a nursing home and had been there for several months and lapsed into a coma. After about three days in the coma we knew the end was near. My wife and several of my children joined my parents at the nursing home to tell grandma “goodbye.” My older daughters told grandma goodbye and left, but my mom and dad and my youngest son remained in the room. There may have been others there as well, I don’t remember. Mom and I were holding hands with grandma and I said, “Mom, let’s pray.” I don’t remember what I said other than thanking God for grandma and asking God to please take grandma to heaven. I said amen, and I said, “It’s okay grandma you can go home now.”
While mom and I continued to hold her hands grandma took about three more breaths and the last breath she released a long sigh and she was gone. We prayed once again and thanked God for taking her and that we would be able to see her again someday

I told mom that I hoped I could be there and hold her hand when she passes also. She said “I hope so too, I would really like that.”

I don’t know if mom will linger for days or months, God alone knows. I would just like to be there for her at the end to her hands and to pray together one last time.

Thanks again guys for all your prayers. Blessings on you all.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Dale, God bless you, your Mom and Dad and you whole family through this. My Dad's name was Don and so was my father-in-law's name and both of them and both my wife's and my Moms are gone. My older brother died of cancer a few years ago and one of my sisters has cancer and can't handle chemo and had to be revived during one of her Chemo sessions before they stopped the treatments. She is much younger than I am. I know some of the pain you are going through so my prayers can be more specific and I can share some of your pain. As a Christian this is all hard and precious at the same time and God is very involved it the whole process even during the times when you can't sense His presence. I have no idea why all the pain we experience in this life is so important for us to go through, but it is both important to God and to us personally. Take care and keep us informed. ___Dave
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Dale, sorry to read about this. However, it sounds like your mom is going out on her own terms. It's sad that she and your dad are going to be apart, but 68/69 years together is no small feat.

I will pray for her pain to be over, and for your father, you, and the rest of your family.

Glenn
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Sorry to read this as well Dale, just got back in Michigan 10 days ago
and got internet hooked up late yesterday....I was there holding Pam's
hand as well at the Hospice facility when she died...We were 47 yrs married
50 yrs 1 month going steady and engaged & married....
I hope it is a quick passing for your Ma Dale
All you can do for your Dad is be there for him after Ma passes...
I tell ya Dale, its been 3 1/2 months for me and no better than the 1st day,
daily breakdowns that have failed to diminish, and your Pa, 70 yrs with his wife, you just cannot come back from that, I am sorry but with what I have been thru the last 8 months, I just pray and wish your Pa little breaks from the pain, thus being there for him...
I really do think a fella can die his self from a broken heart loosing his wife..
thus the statement about your Pa..wish all of you only the best Dale

Will
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Will.

UPDATE

I wife Alyson and I spent most of this week in our RV down at my folk’s is place. Mom seems to be going downhill pretty rapidly. The hospice nurse told Dan (my brother) today that it’s no longer a matter of months but a matter of weeks.
For the most part mom is alert and coherent but is unable to sit or stand. When she does her blood pressure drops so low she passes out and had a seizure one day when we were down there. She is also having trouble holding food down and sometimes even water.

My dad’s heart is in pretty bad shape, the doctor thinks the pacemaker is doing all the work for his heart. In addition to his heart problems he also has diabetes. My brother said today when the hospice nurse was there dad got real lightheaded and thought his blood sugar was low. He took his blood sugar and it was 132 which is about right for him, not low. The hospice nurse thinks he is not getting enough oxygen and that he should probably be on oxygen and hospice care also. He goes to his cardiologist next week for an echocardiogram. We will hopefully know a little bit more after that test.
He fell apart the morning my mother had a seizure. My wife and I were asleep when that happened but my brother and my niece, who has medical training, took care of mom. My brother said he had to tell dad to sit down and get out of the way because he just lost it. My mother is afraid that she will outlive him.

To make things even more complicated they have the living will on their property and as soon as they both passed away, depending on what day of the month that happens, we will have between 30 to 60 days to remove all of their belongings from the property, tractor, farm implements, etc., etc. – a lots of stuff!

Sorry to ramble on, but in some ways it’s helpful just to see it written down on the screen. We certainly do appreciate all your prayers.
Thank you guys, until you need the prayers you really don’t know how much they mean! ::nod::

PS – I may be down at my folk’s place quite a bit until things settle down. If someone has an urgent need to get a hold of me, send me a PM, or an email. I check those both from my phone and I check them several times a day.
Thank you, Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks for the update Dale. This stuff is always so hard and every family and situation plays out so different. Even your own emotions sometimes catch you by surprise. I'll keep praying. ___Dave
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Keeping you and your family in my prayers Dale and Dave.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

These things can be so tough to get through Dale, but sounds like you're holding up as well as can be expected. Continued prayers for a peaceful end.

God bless you and yours,

WB
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Oh Dale! I’m just now seeing this. I am so sorry that y’all are having to go through this. Prayers for you and the family.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale, As before, the Lord bless you and yours in this time. Praying he will be merciful to your mother and dad and provide comfort to the family.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Dale I'm keeping your parents,you and your family in my prayers.
Roger
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Prayers for your mom and dad Dale. And for you and all your family.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Hoping and praying for your family Dale, God bless.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Our prayers Dale..
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

UPDATE –
It's been a couple weeks since I posted an update here and I know you guys are still praying.
I want you all to know that your prayers are greatly appreciated!

Moms condition has kind of stabilize now and she's doing better. We were down there Mother's Day weekend and I made mom some French toast for breakfast on Saturday. She ate half a piece of French toast and was able to keep it down. Her stomach is doing much better lately. My wife, Alyson, cooked mom a Mother's Day dinner on Saturday, because we had to be home on Sunday. She cooked one of moms favorites, salmon. Mom ate a serving of salmon and a couple of things on the side. She really enjoyed a nice meal.

Her blood pressure seems to have stabilized and she's not passing out every time she tries to set up. Saturday afternoon she was able, with assistance, to get out to the sun porch and sat there and visit and watch the birds for a while. She really enjoyed that.
Alyson and I will be going back down there for a week around 1 June while my brother goes back to Arizona to put his house on the market.
We appreciate your prayers and I am convinced that the thousands of prayers that she receives has definitely had a positive affect on her health. Sometimes we don't realize how much we depend on other people and on the Lord until were in a situation like this.
Please keep the prayers coming and pray especially for grace and peace in the family as this is always a stressful time in any family.

Thanks again,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

So glad to read some positive news about your mom, Dale. I will continue to pray for all of you.

Glenn

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”