RIP Little Maggie - Heaven Must Have A Squirrel Problem

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

RIP Little Maggie - Heaven Must Have A Squirrel Problem

Post by bestgear »

My dear friend Tino, a driven Remington collector, was walking his 11-year old little-buddy Maggie on Fathers Day morning and she bolted for a squirrel off-leash and the squirrel made it under the rear drivers wheel of a Jeep but Maggie didn’t.

Tino, as you might imagine is a wreck. I’ve tried over the years to get him to contribute to AAPK but I haven’t been able to reel him in. Maybe if I showed him this post and the empathy that flows here, that he’ll reconsider.

Tino recently retired and he and Maggie had just settled into a good routine. His heart is broken as is mine.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: RIP Little Maggie - Heaven Must Have A Squirrel Problem

Post by jerryd6818 »

My advise? Get a puppy. They're good for a broken heart. They take so much time and effort that you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself and besides they grab your heart and run with it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Father, I pray for You to bless Tino with the comfort of Your most holy peace. Bless him and give him strength that only You can provide. For Your glory, in Jesus's name. Amen.

I do believe all dogs go to heaven. In Revelation 5:13, John wrote...

And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

“Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”

Now when it says, "every creature...on earth", I believe it means every creature on earth, dogs, cats, horses, insert your pet here, will be in heaven, just as John was given the vision.
And the cool thing is John heard them and understood them!

Tino, God's blessing to you.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Losing a beloved pet is one of life's great sorrows. I am confident you will see your dear friend again. May you find comfort in that expectation.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

So, So, sorry for your loss, Tino. Our pets are such a significant part of our family. I hope you will be able to get another dog...but know you won't be able to replace Maggie. QS said it best, when he said losing a pet, is one of life's greatest sorrows.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Last time I lost a dog I felt like shooting myself. It's tough to take, travel well little feller!
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

RIP Maggie, stick with the squirrels in heaven and avoid the skunks! Do skunks make it to heaven? Here is Tino’s Maggie:
DE3CC4C3-F7CC-4F26-A2E3-3D7AF6924389.png
Ron

WARNING: Knife Addiction in Progress.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sorry to learn about the loss of Maggie. Losing a dog is always a tough blow - they’re family. I agree with Jerry. After a suitable period of mourning, get another dog. Maggie will always have a special place, but a new puppy or adoption will soon fill your heart.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

ronfish wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pmHere is Tino’s Maggie
Thanks Ron - I couldn’t put my finger on one immediately - she was quite the hunter, legendary.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Tom, grieved to read this. We lost two dogs this past year so this is really hard. Your friend would find a nice place to talk about his pets, past and present here. The support of this forum for these life events has been a balm for me. So many wonderful and understanding people who share this love for pets here. I will remember him in prayer.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a dog. I have been there more than once and will face it again with Jenny before too many moons cross the azimuth. Jenny says "I would like to meet you some day, Maggie, on the other side!"
Jenny.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cute pups and sorry to hear about Maggie. That's the problem about pets; they become family members but they're not made to last a lifetime. I have had lots of dogs and cats come and go, but the memories stick with me and for that I'm thankful.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Tino

Post by Tino »

Tom, thank you for posting this great tribute to Maggy, and that picture that Ron posted put a huge smile on my face. I am humbled at the warm prayers, blessings and well wishes that have been past onto me from this group. This will go a long way to helping me with the grieving process. I realize I am not the only one that's gone through this heartbreaking experience nor the last. This post has brought tears to my eyes and I would be lying if I didn't say I am in a dark place right now, but I am doing my best to work through it. My wife wants for us to get another puppy which I am in agreement with but I feel like its too soon and I would be betraying my best friend.

I am looking forward to being a part of this great community.

Thank you all.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Tino wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:56 amTom, thank you for posting this great tribute to Maggy,
Im glad in some small way this has helped with the journey forward and that this community has once again comforted someone in need.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Our pups have our hearts while they are here with us. It is hard to say goodbye.
So sorry to hear that Tino has lost a friend. Even when we have a bad day and NOBODY likes us.... our dogs will show us love.
God, please bless Tino in his time of sorrow.
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Tino

Post by Tino »

Thank you Mike and Tom ... I am having a better day today but still have my moments. Its moving in the right direction the blessings are helping me
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......tino. I have been through this many times over the years, and it doesn't get any easier!!..........we just lost my wife's favorite cat recently, she was 20, or real close to it, and we're not over it yet!!........... ::handshake:: .............
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

a friend passed this little tidbit to me and I'd like to pass it on to Tino: Steve Irwins' taking care of her now.
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

dogpic (Medium).jpg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Tino wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pmThank you Mike and Tom ...
Tino - if you would, please post one of your favorite pics of Maggy and tell us a quick story about her - Ron and I already know her exploits from our offline chats but the members here would see Maggy better from your eyes.

I’m glad the healing has started.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

bestgear wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:11 am
Tino wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pmThank you Mike and Tom ...
Tino - if you would, please post one of your favorite pics of Maggy and tell us a quick story about her - Ron and I already know her exploits from our offline chats but the members here would see Maggy better from your eyes.

I’m glad the healing has started.
....please do, would love to hear one!!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Aww, so sorry to read about your pup, Tino. You can never replace them, but you can fill that emptiness in your heart eventually with another pet when you're ready.

Sorry for your loss...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Tino, don’t feel like it’s a betrayal of Maggie to get another dog this soon. Shortly after we lost our Maddy last year, I saw an episode of the “Dog Whisperer” that changed my heart about getting another dog so soon. There was a couple on there that had a dog that wasn’t fitting in their home and Caesar took him to his doggy ranch for rehab. Once the time at the ranch was over, it was clear the dog was the wrong fit for this couple. He traded them dogs with one that he had that was a better fit. He told them not to grieve over the loss of this dog. He said “when one dog leaves your life, it makes room for another dog in your life.” This is so true. We got two dogs last year. I knew my Golden Kobi wasn’t going to be around much longer and we were asked to take another Golden in that was unwanted in her new home. So we ended up with 4 dogs at one point. Now we are back to 3. Here is a picture of my two new girls. Scout is the Golden and Bristol is a mutt. I wouldn’t have missed having them for the world. It has made the grieving easier. I still cry over Kobi and Maddy. But I laugh everyday at these two newbies and am grateful to have them.
Attachments
IMG_3281.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”