Bethlehem Star

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
LDF Knives

Bethlehem Star

Post by LDF Knives »

Did anybody see the Bethlehem Star this week? Post a picture if you have a Good Camera!
Steve Warden

Re: Bethlehem Star

Post by Steve Warden »

Would love to see pics!
Been too cloudy here over New Jersey.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Event of the millennia, snowed over.
And perfectly clear today.
:(
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

There are several pictures posted on the Amateur Astronomy thread. ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I've never heard of the Bethlehem Star.
Is this an occasional sighting?
Joe
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

FRJ wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:43 am I've never heard of the Bethlehem Star.
Is this an occasional sighting?
Actually 2 planets coming so close together it looks like one brighter star.
Last seen some 800+ years ago.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a poor picture my wife took with her phone....
Christmas star.JPG
It's not all that good but it shows how RED Jupiter is when it is up next to Saturn.
(or, is Saturn the RED one???)
Pretty cool.
Maybe this is the Lord REMINDING us that Jesus was born as our Savior.
When Jesus was born, a very bright star, appeared over Bethlehem for SEVERAL days to show the way to where Jesus was born.
This was the first miracle God gave to the world to show everyone Jesus was HIS Son!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I didn't want to post this in the Amateur Astronomy thread because it was taken by Tom Polakis whom I believe is a professional.

Not sure of the magnification on this but obviously taken through a telescope.
Attachments
Tom Polakis.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm Here is a poor picture my wife took with her phone....
Christmas star.JPG
It's not all that good but it shows how RED Jupiter is when it is up next to Saturn.
Pretty cool.
When Jesus was born, a very bright star, appeared over Bethlehem for SEVERAL days to show the way to where Jesus was born.
This was the first miracle God gave to the world to show everyone Jesus was HIS Son!
::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

LDF Knives wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm Here is a poor picture my wife took with her phone....
Christmas star.JPG
Pretty cool.
::tu::
::nod:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rs, the picture seems to show Jupiter and Saturn as far apart. Would this still look like just one bright spot with just your eyes ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:09 pm Rs, the picture seems to show Jupiter and Saturn as far apart. Would this still look like just one bright spot with just your eyes ?
kj
Yes.
Rick T.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

These conjunctions of planets happen fairly frequently in different combinations. The current one is Jupiter/Saturn. Venus and Mars also are involved in conjunctions with any two or more of the 4 planets mentioned capable of producing conjunctions. While the two planets appear to be very close together, one has to remember that at the time they looked the closest, Jupiter was 5.8 astronomical units from earth while Saturn was 10.7. One a.u. equals 92,955,807 miles, so Saturn was hundreds of millions of miles "behind" Jupiter. The statement that this current event has not happened for 800 years is not true. As I mentioned they happen fairly frequently. They have not appeared to be this close together in the sky for 800 years. Also it is a total misnomer to call it is a Bethlehem star since neither object is a star and can happen at any time of the year and in this instance by coincidence is near Christmas time. When I used to do astronomy programs for kids groups and Scouts, I used to demonstrate with a baseball and a hoopla hoop, the base ball being the sun and the hoopla hoop being the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the path that the planets seem to take across the night sky. So just by coincidence from time to time from our perspective on earth they will appear close together, or in conjunction.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Just goin' by what I read, OC.

It's estimated that the last time humans witnessed this impressive sight was around the year 1226, according to Michael Shanahan, the director of the Liberty Science Center Planetarium in New Jersey.
https://www.today.com/news/christmas-st ... cs-t204471
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:35 am These conjunctions of planets happen fairly frequently in different combinations. The current one is Jupiter/Saturn. Venus and Mars also are involved in conjunctions with any two or more of the 4 planets mentioned capable of producing conjunctions. While the two planets appear to be very close together, one has to remember that at the time they looked the closest, Jupiter was 5.8 astronomical units from earth while Saturn was 10.7. One a.u. equals 92,955,807 miles, so Saturn was hundreds of millions of miles "behind" Jupiter. The statement that this current event has not happened for 800 years is not true. As I mentioned they happen fairly frequently. They have not appeared to be this close together in the sky for 800 years. Also it is a total misnomer to call it is a Bethlehem star since neither object is a star and can happen at any time of the year and in this instance by coincidence is near Christmas time. When I used to do astronomy programs for kids groups and Scouts, I used to demonstrate with a baseball and a hoopla hoop, the base ball being the sun and the hoopla hoop being the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the path that the planets seem to take across the night sky. So just by coincidence from time to time from our perspective on earth they will appear close together, or in conjunction.
I remember reading some time ago that the distance between the Earth and the Sun is 93 million miles.

Is this what an Astronomical Unit is?
Rick T.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:54 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:35 am These conjunctions of planets happen fairly frequently in different combinations. The current one is Jupiter/Saturn. Venus and Mars also are involved in conjunctions with any two or more of the 4 planets mentioned capable of producing conjunctions. While the two planets appear to be very close together, one has to remember that at the time they looked the closest, Jupiter was 5.8 astronomical units from earth while Saturn was 10.7. One a.u. equals 92,955,807 miles, so Saturn was hundreds of millions of miles "behind" Jupiter. The statement that this current event has not happened for 800 years is not true. As I mentioned they happen fairly frequently. They have not appeared to be this close together in the sky for 800 years. Also it is a total misnomer to call it is a Bethlehem star since neither object is a star and can happen at any time of the year and in this instance by coincidence is near Christmas time. When I used to do astronomy programs for kids groups and Scouts, I used to demonstrate with a baseball and a hoopla hoop, the base ball being the sun and the hoopla hoop being the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the path that the planets seem to take across the night sky. So just by coincidence from time to time from our perspective on earth they will appear close together, or in conjunction.
I remember reading some time ago that the distance between the Earth and the Sun is 93 million miles.

Yup, if I can remember correctly from my schoolin.
Winston Churchill

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:38 am
Railsplitter wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:54 am

Yup, if I can remember correctly from my schoolin.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Rick T.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:39 am Just goin' by what I read, OC.

It's estimated that the last time humans witnessed this impressive sight was around the year 1226, according to Michael Shanahan, the director of the Liberty Science Center Planetarium in New Jersey.
https://www.today.com/news/christmas-st ... cs-t204471
Same here.
Johannes Kepler, and Galileo calculated that this event fell extremely close to the true birth of Christ. They figured out the star that guided the wise men fell on 7.AD, which concurs with what scriptures say, seeing that Jesus was a child when they met Him.
So going by the calculations of the greatest scientist who ever lived, this is the advent that guided the wise men, or something very similar.
::hmm::
Don't quote me on this un mates, I have more research todo (thinking about today).
Winston Churchill

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Railsplitter wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:41 pm I didn't want to post this in the Amateur Astronomy thread because it was taken by Tom Polakis whom I believe is a professional.

Not sure of the magnification on this but obviously taken through a telescope.
It doesn't matter who took the picture, you can post it there. lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Mighty poor but here you go.
Attachments
20201221_173715.jpg
20201221_173513.jpg
20201221_173448.jpg
20201221_172739.jpg
20201221_172641.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

bighomer wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:00 pm Mighty poor but here you go.
::handshake:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”