Prayers for Vera

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Prayers for Vera

Post by dlr110 »

Not everyone is lucky enough to have in-laws that they enjoy and get along with.
My mother-in-law Vera has always been a joy to be around since day one. She has
loved and supported our family for over 45 years. To all of our children and grandchildren
she is known as “Little Grandma.” Born during the Great Depression, she and her
6 siblings grew up in the farming communities on the Oklahoma/Kansas border on lands
that her family had owned ever since the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889.

In 2016 she was told she had cancer in her left lung. Now after 5 years and many
treatments it has spread to her right lung and her bones. As a last resort she tried
an experimental drug, but it only made her days worse with pain, loss of appetite,
and loss of weight. She is almost 89 years old, 4’9” and weights around 93 lbs. and
is on oxygen almost 24x7. She has told the doctor, no more. She doesn’t want to be
put in any kind of facility, she wants to be at home during her final days, so we have
called in home hospice care. They don’t provide 24x7 in home care until the very end,
but there is an assigned team that is on call for us day or night should we need some
type of assistance or medication for pain. So far I give them 10 stars for their support.
We don’t know if her time left is days, weeks, or months, but it is coming very soon.

My wife Cheryl is her primary care giver at present and I see it weighing heavily on her
every day. I found her in tears in the shower the other day because her emotions had
just become too great. My daughter is now helping on nights that she can in order to
give Cheryl a break from the night time needs. Vera is unable to do just about anything
on her own so, the need is constant day and night. Also, a friend that lost her mother
not too long ago may start coming over to provide some help. My knife activities and
writing will have to take a back seat right now. I’m taking care of all the household
chores and the things that I can prepare for at the time of one’s passing so Cheryl doesn’t
have those burdens, but I still worry about Cheryl’s health too.

My prayer and purpose is to see that her last days are pain free as much as possible;
that she is comfortable and that she gets whatever she wants or needs. I am certain
that she knows Jesus as her Lord and Savior, so I know her eternity will be with God in
Heaven and that we will see each other again.

I’m not asking my friends at AAPK to write anything now with this posting, just say a prayer
for comfort and that Vera’s passing will be peaceful. Pray for physical and mental strength
for Cheryl and me as we continue with the everyday tasks of life and provide the best care
we can for Vera during this time.

May God bless and keep you all,
David & Cheryl Roberts
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Meridian_Mike

Re: Prayers for Vera

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I am praying David....
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Me too David!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Father,
I lift up Vera to you and ask that you give her peace and comfort as she travels through this portion of her life. We ask Lord, she would not suffer unnecessarily.
Lord I also lift up Dave and Cheryl to you. I ask that you would give them strength and endurance beyond what they think they have. Lord give them strength and joy in this trying time. Also Lord, I ask that you would strengthen the bond between David and Cheryl.

In the name of Jesus I ask this.,
Amen
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

orvet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 pm Father,
I lift up Vera to you and ask that you give her peace and comfort as she travels through this portion of her life. We ask Lord, she would not suffer unnecessarily.
Lord I also lift up Dave and Cheryl to you. I ask that you would give them strength and endurance beyond what they think they have. Lord give them strength and joy in this trying time. Also Lord, I ask that you would strengthen the bond between David and Cheryl.

Amen
Amen.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Froe

Post by Froe »

Prayers sent.
Froe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Prayers going out, David. ::pray::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Prayers for Vera heading Skyward. In Jesus name we pray. ::pray::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Praying.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

orvet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 pm Father,

Amen
Amen
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Vera is on my prayer list. ::pray::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Thought I would give an update.
I’m so very grateful for all of you and your prayers. Vera is now sleeping about 16 to 18 hours
a day and the only time she is awake is to go to the bathroom or to eat. You have to lift her
up out of her bed or chair and set her on the portable toilet because she can’t move on her own.
We’re feeding her now, what little we can get her to eat.

It’s hard to talk to her because she is almost deaf and her comprehension is pretty cloudy.
There have been friends and church members that have stopped by for a quick hello, but she
doesn’t say much even if she recognizes them. She has been having conversations in her sleep
with family members that have long since passed like her mother and father. I don’t know
what is going on in her mind but this isn’t living and I pray that our Heavenly Father takes
her home very soon.

Thanks to all of you and your prayers. Cheryl and I are drained physically and emotionally,
but we have family help and we have the promises and strength of God’s Word to carry us through.

God Bless you all.
David & Cheryl Roberts
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

May God bless you David and Cheryl!
I know you and Cheryl are tired and I pray that God will continue to give y'all strength to endure.
MS Vera will be home with her Lord soon.
Praise the Lord Jesus for His blessed assurance of our Heavenly home.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Lifting you all up in prayer.
::pray::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

David my heart goes out to all of you as you endure this trial together. May God give you and your wife the patience, strength, and wisdom you need and may He be gracious and merciful to Vera. I'm praying for each of you.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

David, I’m sorry I did not see this sooner, and sorry to learn of Vera’s worsening condition. May the Lord bless and comfort her and your family during this time.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

My sweet mother in law Vera went to be with our Lord yesterday afternoon. She was able to leave us at home in her own bed with her children and grandchildren at her bedside. She was clear of mind and in no pain, she simply closed her eyes and she was gone. We thank God that it was so peaceful and we know she is walking the streets of gold with Jesus in Heaven now.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, your kind, and very meaningful comments through this time. The service will be this coming Wednesday morning.

God’s Blessings,
David & Cheryl Roberts
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm glad for her that she is with her Savior. ::handshake::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

David you and your wife have my sincere condolences. Losing a loved one is such a hard thing to do. I hope you and your family can find peace and perhaps even joy in knowing that Vera is now in the company of our Lord and Savior.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

God bless you all brother David.
It is most comforting knowing shes with are Lord 'n Savior now, for the rest of eternity.
God be praised!
William
Winston Churchill

TPK

Post by TPK »

My deepest condolences David. I will be praying for you & your family. ::pray::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

David, I'm so sorry for you and the family. But, I am so grateful for the hope that she had in Christ. The Lord was faithful to her to the end.

“Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭116:15‬ ‭KJV‬‬
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm so thankful to hear she went peacefully and that she was surrounded by her loving family.
Praise the Lord for His blessed assurance that give us so much comfort at times like this.

Thank you Heavenly Father for your love and peace. Please comfort MS Vera's family. We know she is with you now and singing praises with the saints.
Praise the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Alright let's close this one out. We had the funeral service yesterday for Vera and it went great despite the rain. We had family come from all over the country for the service. Our church was so great in all the food and paper goods they brought to the house. There was so much we had to send to-go plates with some folks.
Well Vera is with our Lord now and it's time for us to move on. As always you guys were all faithful in your prayers and Cheryl and I appreciate that very much. We have a couple of appointments in the next week or so and then for the first time in over a year we are getting on the road again to just relax and have fun doing what we like, antique shopping. Don't know where we're going, I'm just going to point that Tahoe in some direction and start driving, no plan, no reservations.

God bless you all and keep you safe,
David & Cheryl Roberts

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”